What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secret Santa beer! A bit boozy, but that’s quite welcome on this Wednesday evening. I was waffling between a beer or a boozy cocktail so I met in the middle.

BF98019C-09E9-4D93-A8E8-CC90B3022F79.jpeg
B52CE86B-1D8D-466A-B747-8DA6F0566FBF.jpeg

good point, it was hop knot IPA....i got no malt from it....and i was confused....it was a 15 pack for $20? is that a skimpy 18 pack, or a generous 12 pack? 🤣

what i'm drinking now took a bit more effort, but it was 108 pack for $12..... 🤣
LOL!! That didn’t help, I’m still speechless. ;)

Uhmmm...ya. Plum Pudding Porter by XhAle Brew Company. Smells a bit like plums, initial taste is kind of nothingness and the aftertaste is of sour dirt. Not a great one, I'm afraid, Auntie Renée. It was in a random 4-pack. Sigh... 🙄

Best part of this porter is that some of the proceeds go to the Alberta Cancer Foundation for Breast Cancer Awareness.

PPPorter.jpg

Dude, sling it my way. If Sean approves then it must be slammin
It’s a great Americanized version. I have a secret weapon I’m going to try for my next German lager. I’ve made a batch of sauergut that I’m going to add to my recipe to see if that’s what sends it over the top to give me the flavor I taste in all the imported bottles I’ve had.

How do you get ahold of such good booze in the middle of nowhere? I live in a Philly burb and they only have like 2 single malt Irish Whiskeys and a half dozen blends. Perhaps I need to move to Montana!
TL-DR In MT booze is plentiful but expensive.

Montana has some strange liquor laws. It’s a good news/bad news thing. The good news is that the state stores (which are operated by contractors; the state got out of the retail business years ago) have a really good selection of pretty much any distilled spirit one can think of. The bad news is that the State Liquor Control Board has a monopoly on the distribution of distilled spirits, so everything is pretty expensive, compared to states where you can buy hard liquor at any gas station, grocery store, Wally World, etc. In MT only stand alone liquor stores, or bars which have an off premesis license, can sell spirits at retail. Everyone has to buy their inventory from the state warehouse, and the liquor board sets the wholesale prices based on the volume purchased. The contractor operated state stores pay lower wholesale prices, but the large volume stores in the bigger cities pay the lowest price. The small town stores, which move less product, pay more, and the bars and privately owned retail stores pay a higher wholesale price than the state stores.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but that’s how the booze biz works out here in this corner of flyover country.

TL:DR-In MT booze is plentiful but expensive.

Montana has some strange liquor laws. It’s a good news/bad news thing. The good news is that the state stores (which are operated by contractors; the state got out of the retail business years ago) have a really good selection of pretty much any distilled spirit one can think of. The bad news is that the State Liquor Control Board has a monopoly on the distribution of distilled spirits, so everything is pretty expensive, compared to states where you can buy hard liquor at any gas station, grocery store, Wally World, etc. In MT only stand alone liquor stores, or bars which have an off premesis license, can sell spirits at retail. Everyone has to buy their inventory from the state warehouse, and the liquor board sets the wholesale prices based on the volume purchased. The contractor operated state stores pay lower wholesale prices, but the large volume stores in the bigger cities pay the lowest price. The small town stores, which move less product, pay more, and the bars and privately owned retail stores pay a higher wholesale price than the state stores.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but that’s how the booze biz works out here in this corner of flyover country.
Not at all .. I am fascinated by the different laws state to state .. PA is an ABC state, but they disguise it by calling their stores "Fine Wines and Good Spirits" but everybody knows it's the ABC aka "packie" aka "bottle shop" ... we frequently smuggle booze up from Delaware to avoid the taxes and restriction on selection.

51BDB4CD-D54E-4D1D-94EE-A607268B3F8B.jpeg
Twelve years ago today my life changed forever. It was the day I became a father! My oldest is now officially one year away from becoming a teenager but sometimes that side does show. Eek! So why not enjoy a delicious Treehouse Stout to celebrate?

Persist by Treehouse. Untappd’s description:
Persist is a barrel-blended Imperial Stout. Featuring 60% barrel-aged maple stout, with an average age of 22 months, it is meticulously blended for intense flavor and maximum drinkability.

Persist also contains a kiss of coffee to balance the hugely decadent, rich characteristics of the blend.

It pours with a fluffy head in the glass and tastes of maple-bourbon candies, chocolate-covered caramels, mocha-maple ice cream floats, and vanilla maple syrup.

It is a monster beer worth savoring, and cherishing - Enjoy!

Last edited:
View attachment 758974Twelve years ago today my life change forever. It was the day I became a father! My oldest is now officially one year away from becoming a teenager but sometimes that side does show. Eek! So why not enjoy a delicious Treehouse Stout to celebrate?

Persist by Treehouse. Untappd’s description:
Persist is a barrel-blended Imperial Stout. Featuring 60% barrel-aged maple stout, with an average age of 22 months, it is meticulously blended for intense flavor and maximum drinkability.

Persist also contains a kiss of coffee to balance the hugely decadent, rich characteristics of the blend.

It pours with a fluffy head in the glass and tastes of maple-bourbon candies, chocolate-covered caramels, mocha-maple ice cream floats, and vanilla maple syrup.

It is a monster beer worth savoring, and cherishing - Enjoy!
Happy b-day to your oldest!!! My oldest turned 21 a week ago today. I wish I could tell you it gets better but......🤪

Happy b-day to your oldest!!! My oldest turned 21 a week ago today. I wish I could tell you it gets better but......🤪
😩😩😩 That’s it, I have no words… Although I know it’s coming. My one niece turned 18 today too & her older sister turned 20 back in November. 😳

Last edited:
Not at all .. I am fascinated by the different laws state to state .. PA is an ABC state, but they disguise it by calling their stores "Fine Wines and Good Spirits" but everybody knows it's the ABC aka "packie" aka "bottle shop" ... we frequently smuggle booze up from Delaware to avoid the taxes and restriction on selection.
I grew up in Ohio, but went to Penn State for grad school. Shortly after I arrived, I went to the grocery store to buy beer. None to be found. So I went to the wine and spirits store thinking I’d find it there. They told me to go to the bottle shop. Went there and they only had 6 packs (and maybe 12 packs). If I wanted more, I had to go to the distributor. I was so confused…

Russell Brewing Co. Cinnamon Bun Brown Ale, from Surrey, BC. Now this is more like it! Very much like a mild cinnamon bun, and quite refreshing.

Honey Malt, Blackprinz, Vanilla and Cinnamon with a touch of milk sugar. "We promise no raisins were added. Does anyone really even like raisins?" 😄 :mug:

Russell_Cinna.jpg

Back