What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, the SNPA bottle has since been recycled. I did see a date on it that I think was May of 2016 if I remember correctly.

Thanks for stopping by. Guess We need to change the title of the thread. I know its a sin to not post what is in the title all the time and not talk and make friends. Just change the title to "Friendly Banter and What are you drinking?" If that makes ya'll happy

Its not just the title. This thread is actually for members to share the beers they are drinking, for members to find out about new-to-them beers. I think the new thread 1977Brewer started is a great place for the friendly, non-beer related conversations and joking the folks here have developed.

I think I may stray off topic in both. But I will post what I am drinking here.

I just think we should be mindful of the feelings of others. Sarcasm and intent rarely come across well and it is easy to make someone sad. As my preschool teacher told me back in the day.... "If you cant say something nice... Get out of my ******* face butt-breath! Stupid kid. Go away!" On looking back, I think she may have had torettes.. touretes.. that affliction where people have the impulse to cuss that they cannot stop.

OT Waddur. A clear non-alcoholic substance.

I'll be moving all non beverage related BS here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7303200#post7303200

I made every friend I have on this forum in this thread, and I guarantee I didn't do it looking at pictures of pint glasses in front of woodpiles.

Well done, take the non-what-beer-are-you-drinking posts to the new thread 1977Brewer started and post the beers you are drinking here. The new thread is in the DDRM forum (perfect) and I moved this one back to the General Beer Discussion forum.

Everyone happy?

Pale Mild. Homebrew. Because it's beer. And it's what I'm drinking. And this is a thread for the beer that I am drinking. And not mindless banter.

20151230_121553[1].jpg

Its not just the title. This thread is actually for members to share the beers they are drinking, for members to find out about new-to-them beers. I think the new thread 1977Brewer started is a great place for the friendly, non-beer related conversations and joking the folks here have developed.

After 201,000 plus post of this and countless harassment from the moderators both just and mostly unjust. Did some one send a complaint that we are not "following" the title? And it is about the title that is why you had that little PSA. Just move it to the drunkin' ramblings section.

It is wrong just to have a little conversation every now and again or are we just have to be faceless drones just posting pictures of the beer we drink and not interact with other people?. It is not like we go one forever not posting what we are drinking. Even when we are talking we post what we are having anyway. I'm tired of ya'll just abusing your "power". They only thing that keeps me on this site is the people in this thread not the site it self.

After 201,000 plus post of this and countless harassment from the moderators both just and mostly unjust. Did some one send a complaint that we are not "following" the title? And it is about the title that is why you had that little PSA. Just move it to the drunkin' ramblings section.

It is wrong just to have a little conversation every now and again or are we just have to be faceless drones just posting pictures of the beer we drink and not interact with other people?. It is not like we go one forever not posting what we are drinking. Even when we are talking we post what we are having anyway. I'm tired of ya'll just abusing your "power". They only thing that keeps me on this site is the people in this thread not the site it self.

Yes, reports and complaints were what prompted my intervention.

Abusing power? I've helped you find a place where folks who want the off-topic conversation and a place for those who want to focus on the beers. Seems like a win-win to me. How exactly am I abusing my moderation power?

Abusing power? Wow, so I've helped you find a place where folks who want the off-topic conversation and a place for those who want to focus on the beers. Seems like a win-win to me. How exactly am I abusing my moderation power?

Because you come in out of no where for no reason to change what this thread is. There was no reason to come in and say jack. I have not notice that this thread goes off topic for a long time. There is always a post that brings it back and who cares if it goes off topic, really? Is the site going to crash and burn if we do? I just want ya'll just to leave us alone and only deal with people that gets complaints not the thread as a whole. because the thread as a whole is comprised of great guys/gals that just get along and get to know each others personality so if we are in their respected cities we can meet for a beer or two. No other thread or forum I have done that.

We post what we are drinking quite often, and if people want to find a new beer they will have plenty of pretty little pictures to see and try to trade. I discovered lots of beer from this thread (pissst.. I can see them through the banter) and only trade with people on this thread because I can trust that I will not get shafted and hope they have the same for me. This whole site is base on beer/alcoholic beverages so most "off-topic" conversations do relate to beer.

Because you come in out of no where for no reason to change what this thread is. There was no reason to come in and say jack. I have not notice that this thread goes off topic for a long time. There is always a post that brings it back and who cares if it goes off topic, really? Is the site going to crash and burn if we do? I just want ya'll just to leave us alone and only deal with people that gets complaints not the thread as a whole. because the thread as a whole is comprised of great guys/gals that just get along and get to know each others personality so if we are in their respected cities we can meet for a beer or two. No other thread or forum I have done that.

We post what we are drinking quite often, and if people want to find a new beer they will have plenty of pretty little pictures to see and try to trade. I discovered lots of beer from this thread (pissst.. I can see them through the banter) and only trade with people on this thread because I can trust that I will not get shafted and hope they have the same for me. This whole site is base on beer/alcoholic beverages so most "off-topic" conversations do relate to beer.

I'm going to take this seriously and respond seriously, please take this in that spirit.

1. Not everyone agrees with you that the off-topic posts in that thread weren't a problem. We get reports from that thread and requests from other members to get rid of the off-topic stuff in that thread all the time, including multiple times today. That is why I moderated the thread today.

2. I went to great pains to be clear that no one is in trouble, no one is being scolded, no posts were deleted, no bannings handed out, no warnings given. There was a problem and I worked to solve it.

3. I agree that the folks who post in that thread are great folks and I think this is a good solution - there is now a thread dedicated to sharing information about beer that people are drinking and a thread for the friendships (and members can post about the beers they are drinking in the new thread also). Again, I see this as a win-win.

4. There are a ton of threads on HBT that are about off-topic stuff, entirely, where friendships are made and developed over time.

5. From my perspective, some members came to me with a problem on the forum and I worked to solve it. That's the job of a moderator. I think the solution is good, I guess we'll see over time.

That being said, no one has a monopoly on good ideas and I have and will make mistakes. You can always bring your objections to me, I like to think I'm reasonable, but if you're not satisified with my responses, you may take your objection to TxBrew. He has reversed moderator decisions in the past and is certainly fair.

Last edited:
I'm going to take this seriously and respond seriously, please take this in that spirit.

1. Not everyone agrees with you that the off-topic posts in that thread weren't a problem. We get reports from that thread and requests from other members to get rid of the off-topic stuff in that thread all the time, including multiple times today. That is why I moderated the thread today.

2. I went to great pains to be clear that no one is in trouble, no one is being scolded, no posts were deleted, no bannings handed out, no warnings given. There was a problem and I worked to solve it.

3. I agree that the folks who post in that thread are great folks and I think this is a good solution - there is now a thread dedicated to sharing information about beer that people are drinking and a thread for the friendships (and members can post about the beers they are drinking in the new thread also). Again, I see this as a win-win.

4. There are a ton of threads on HBT that are about off-topic stuff, entirely, where friendships are made and developed over time.

From my perspective, some members came to me with a problem on the forum and I worked to solve it. That's the job of a moderator. I think the solution is good, I guess we'll see over time.

That being said, no one has a monopoly on good ideas and I have and will make mistakes. You can always bring your objections to me, I like to think I'm reasonable, but if you're not satisified with my responses, you may take your objection to TxBrew. He has reversed moderator decisions in the past and is certainly fair.

My understanding was that the last time this came up like this (that I can recall at least) where it wasn't blatant violation of the forum rules but just off-topic banter, the solution was to move the thread from the General Beer Discussion section where it originally was, over to DRRM, where it remained for a long time, because there the off-topic banter WAS allowed, and that seemed to work for everyone (or almost everyone at least).

I think the split here is viable and maybe it will work, who knows. However there are threads already that DO stay on topic for what people are drinking ("Post a Picture Of Your Pint", etc), making this redundant. And I also find it sad that the folks who've played nice together, do post on topic amongst the banter, and made this thread what it is, that it's effectively cutting the head off of one of the biggest, most posted, longest running threads on HBT. To me, aside from the thread title, it's no different than the Tap Room and should be treated as such.

Well I'm not drinking all of these right now, but I've been in Italy lately and have been enjoying the beer scene.

Baladin has some very nice beers, I checked and they are available in the US but 3x what they cost here. Mastri Birra Umbri is good too.

IMG_3735.jpg

5. From my perspective, some members came to me with a problem on the forum and I worked to solve it. That's the job of a moderator. I think the solution is good, I guess we'll see over time.

A win win? Probably not. It seems to me as a pretty pointless intervention to make one or two people happy at the cost of ruining a good time for lots of folks. Perhaps it could have better been dealt with by simply telling a couple to chill out I mean for god's sake it's a thread where you post what you're drinking and talk about it. So what if it slips into other conversation every now and then? How in the world could this be such a big deal that it need to move to another thread?

On topic: Water with dinner and soon an English old ale.

Drinking an English bitter that I brewed about two months ago and kegging a Ben Franklin Poor Richard's Ale that is delicious while watching the bowl game.

A win win? Probably not. It seems to me as a pretty pointless intervention to make one or two people happy at the cost of ruining a good time for lots of folks. Perhaps it could have better been dealt with by simply telling a couple to chill out I mean for god's sake it's a thread where you post what you're drinking and talk about it. So what if it slips into other conversation every now and then? How in the world could this be such a big deal that it need to move to another thread?

Truth right there. You cannot make everyone happy. Better let a few leave than all the people on this thread.

Ruining a good time? There's a whole other thread started for folks, to do exactly what they were doing here. How is their good time ruined? I really mean that - how was anyone's experience harmed?

I love your assumptions - how would you possibly know how many people reported or complained?

Last edited:
And just to be clear, the other option was to delete a boat load of off topic posts and close the thread.

I've given folks time to complain and have responded evenly and as fully as possible. At this point, no more discussion of the moderation, please. If you prefer I had closed the thread or deleted a bunch of posts, we disagree. As always, you may bring any complaints about my moderation to TxBrew, he'll look at things fairly. If he thinks I'm wrong and should have just closed the thread, we can go back and do that (and close the new thread too).

Last edited:
And just to be clear, the other option was to delete a boat load of off topic posts and close the thread. Jeez.

Why is that the only other option? When someone, or someones (not making any assumptions, you posted that it was a couple people complaining) reports or complains about a thread being off topic, can't a mod use good judgment and common sense? My point is that perhaps no action was really necessary.

"Ruining a good time" was probably not well put. "Ruining a popular and very old thread" may be better? Just seems like overkill to me for a thread that by its title ought to be pretty laid back. Not saying your job as moderator is easy or unappreciated. Just offering up my feedback since you said you were open to it.

Why is that the only other option? When someone, or someones (not making any assumptions, you posted that it was a couple people complaining) reports or complains about a thread being off topic, can't a mod use good judgment and common sense? My point is that perhaps no action was really necessary.

"Ruining a good time" was probably not well put. "Ruining a popular and very old thread" may be better? Just seems like overkill to me for a thread that by its title ought to be pretty laid back. Not saying your job as moderator is easy or unappreciated. Just offering up my feedback since you said you were open to it.

You're right, no moderation action is always a possibility. But in this case, two different moderators took action in the thread today - we both thought that the complaints needed to be addressed. But you're right, sometimes we do ignore complaints and reports sometimes, when we think they are unwarranted or misguided.

Now, no more conversation about the moderation, please - send me a PM if you need. Back to the conversation about what people are drinking.

It's like bailey's but with a bitartrate bourbon flavor. Creamier and sweet like a heavy cream rather than saccharine and sugar sweet. Little chocolaty too.

And I am not huge sweet drink fan either.

Back