What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ale brewed 9 weeks ago, last batch of 4 on S-04 yeast cake.

10# pils,
5# 2 row
3# rye ,malt
2# flaked corn

It is the same grain bill I brewed today, which will be lagered & was pitched w 34/70.
IMG_0306.JPG

5th Element in Leander (very North Austin). IPAs/triples/lagers/Czech/cream ales/black lager/sour. Had quit the chat with the brewer about chemistry. Every one of these was a pleasure to drink. Nothing was harsh. Maybe need more flavor but no complaints.

The Czech was made with all foam as that was a thing in the day or half foam.

PXL_20231112_221034963.jpg
PXL_20231112_222046320.MP.jpg
PXL_20231112_231632942.MP.jpg
PXL_20231112_234438440.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231112_231503250.jpg

Cask ale festival - something I really wish they did at all where I live
The row of firkins and pins were just the 3 “local” Homebrew clubs. There was a gluten free club from the west coast and many “pros” aside from about a dozen firkins from the host. We have an Indy cask fest coming up and in January there is one that’s a fundraiser. If you can find a host brewery with the space, I’d bet you could talk it up. With fees etc this on was just over $80, and there were 2 levels of VIP for a lot more, I attended for the cost of the beer I brewed. :)
Oh, just to stay on topic, I’m sipping some hot matcha tea.

I’m still on my dark beer kick. Maybe the World’s best known dark beer is Guinness Extra Stout, first brewed by Arthur Guinness at the St. James Gate Brewery in Dublin in 1759. Arthur figured he could brew an Ale with malted Barley and also use un-malted Barley to reduce the taxes imposed on Barley malt. Arthur was getting past the Crown taxes just like we were here across the pond… Awesome!

One of my Daughters prefers Stouts. I think it must remind her of the boozy equivalent of Starbucks or something. To pour a proper pub sized 16 oz pint, you need at least two of these pathetic little 11.2 oz bottles. That’s for a pour all the way to the top rim. No short pours on this blog!

A scrumptious and yummy Ale, dark fruit esters, all sorts of flavor hints here. Funny, a lot of people ask us beer lovers if we drink Stouts – they automatically think something with the name “Stout” is some hugely alcoholic, hard to drink brew. Guinness is not however. At 5.6% ABV, restrained hopping, carbonation on the low-medium middle, great head, some lacing, this Guinness Extra Stout is super easy to guzzle, or just sit there and sip if you are a newbie or just beer-curious. Either way, Guinness Extra Stout is always a hit! Cheers!

IMG_5833.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m still on my dark beer kick. Maybe the World’s best known dark beer is Guinness Extra Stout, first brewed by Arthur Guinness at the St. James Gate Brewery in Dublin in 1759. Arthur figured he could brew an Ale with malted Barley and also use un-malted Barley to reduce the taxes imposed on Barley malt. Arthur was getting past the Crown taxes just like we were here across the pond… Awesome!

One of my Daughters prefers Stouts. I think it must remind her of the boozy equivalent of Starbucks or something. To pour a proper pub sized 16 oz pint, you need at least two of these pathetic little 11.2 oz bottles. That’s for a pour all the way to the top rim. No short pours on this blog!

A scrumptious and yummy ale, dark fruit esters, all sorts of flavor hints here. Funny, a lot of people ask us beer lovers if we drink Stouts – they automatically think something with the name “Stout” is some hugely alcoholic, hard to drink brew. Guinness is not however. At 4.2% ABV, restrained hopping, carbonation on the low-medium middle, great head, some lacing, this Guinness Extra Stout is super easy to guzzle, or just sit there and sip if you are a newbie or just beer-curious. Either way, Guinness Extra Stout is always a hit! Cheers!

View attachment 833848
One of my finest memories is visiting Jonathan Swift's grave and smelling the Guinness being made. Even at 18, I thought it was an especially pleasant (sour artichokes, lol) smell; who knew where I'd be now, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Anyway, in keeping with the thread, here is a delightful example of a bitter front, mild malt middle with citrus all over the nose and closing the palette.

IMG_4925.JPG

Haven't had the in quite a while. I really like it... chocolate, dried fruit, caramel, tasty.
View attachment 833847

A scrumptious and yummy Ale, dark fruit esters, all sorts of flavor hints here. Funny, a lot of people ask us beer lovers if we drink Stouts – they automatically think something with the name “Stout” is some hugely alcoholic, hard to drink brew. Guinness is not however. At 5.6% ABV, restrained hopping, carbonation on the low-medium middle, great head, some lacing, this Guinness Extra Stout is super easy to guzzle, or just sit there and sip if you are a newbie or just beer-curious. Either way, Guinness Extra Stout is always a hit! Cheers!

View attachment 833848
Guinness is arguably my favorite beer in all its forms…
I know I’ve had both, but is there a difference between “Foreign Extra Stout” & “Extra Stout”?

Edit: I figured it out.
FES is 7.5% and higher hops
ES is 5.6% and moderate hops
Without doing a side by, I don’t remember there being much of a difference.

Last edited:
Had the furnace guy here today to replace our 27 yo furnace BEFORE it goes toes-up in a Minnesota winter. Got a 60k BTU gas furnace, $3600 installed.

View attachment 833909

Install complete, contractor's gone, time for a HB, Tumbler autumn ale clone.

View attachment 833910
That sounds incredibly inexpensive to my ears. Had our AC/heat pump units (inside/outside) and duct work modernized for 15k back in 2018. But just the inside/outside units was replaced in 2001 for 9K.

HB PA

PXL_20231114_231943694.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Last edited:
Back