What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still drinking this Dubbel from Mcbaumannerb. First beer since Sunday after the tasting :drunk:

I'll let you know on the bitterroot summer release. IMO the Red dread Imperial Red (spring), and the Last Cast Black IPA (winter) are the best from them. The summer that is coming up is a huckleberry honey definitely not a bad beer just not my favorite from them. The Single Hop, and Nut Brown are both excellent year rounds as well (single hop can be hard to get though as it sells really well around here)

I hear ya, we can iron it out later. Still got another trade to do with Gabe to get his JP glass to him anyway.
Another Shorts Beard of Zeus

ForumRunner_20130522_202216.jpg

cody6173 said:
Planning on touring the brewery Saturday. Never had Timber Beast but how does it compare to Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye?

Two totally different beers, I get more rye and floral from hop rod (one of my favorites) and I get more face punching pine from Timber Beast. The rye kind of sits quietly in the background on Timber Beast, just enough for you to know its there, maybe due to the face punching pine. With that said, Hop Rod Rye is a classic and Timber Beast is the angry newcomer. I would give the edge to Bear Republic.

allenH said:
Two totally different beers, I get more rye and floral from hop rod (one of my favorites) and I get more face punching pine from Timber Beast. The rye kind of sits quietly in the background on Timber Beast, just enough for you to know its there, maybe due to the face punching pine. With that said, Hop Rod Rye is a classic and Timber Beast is the angry newcomer. I would give the edge to Bear Republic.

Fair enough. I love hop rod rye but I also love over the top beers especially of the IPA variety. Being from Louisiana, Lazy Mag is somewhat local to me so I really want to like Timber Beast but I guess we'll see. Hoping with the new beer laws in MS and AL the craft beer scene will start picking up in the area. We desperately need it.

cody6173 said:
Fair enough. I love hop rod rye but I also love over the top beers especially of the IPA variety. Being from Louisiana, Lazy Mag is somewhat local to me so I really want to like Timber Beast but I guess we'll see. Hoping with the new beer laws in MS and AL the craft beer scene will start picking up in the area. We desperately need it.

My guess is that you will like it, it is in my opinion, excellent. Make sure to post pics of the tour!

Had 4 Buds @ softball. Yeah, yeah, laugh it up. I'll be bringing homebrew next time. Only reason I didn't this time was that I didn't know we could bring glass the ball field.

just had my Zythos IPA. only 2 left & HessenHelles gets one per trade. some people may think Special B doesn't belong in an IPA. some may say Zythos & a deep crystal malt cannot marry properly. some people must not share my intrigue & enthusiasm for complexity in a simple execution. to you naysayers, pay attenuation and harden the flocc up.

Now that I am home, moving on to a real beer. Great saison funk, but not over done. Malty, a little sweet and finishes dry. I'm pretty sure it can only be had at the brewery, but those local should check it out if they can.

20130522_212000.jpg

just had my Zythos IPA. only 2 left & HessenHelles gets one per trade. some people may think Special B doesn't belong in an IPA. some may say Zythos & a deep crystal malt cannot marry properly. some people must not share my intrigue & enthusiasm for complexity in a simple execution. to you naysayers, pay attenuation and harden the flocc up.

I am looking forward to it!!!!

A little of this and a little of that.

The chicken is awesome and the beer is interesting. Malty IPA and the orange zest is very present, in both flavor and aroma. Nice beer on a hot Austin night. Good with the fried chicken too.

image-704613315.jpg

image-999182032.jpg

bottlebomber said:
How is that? I actually haven't even tried that one myself. Is it as good as the Simtra?

Well, it's good but Simtra is much better. Not much hop aroma from it and it is slightly sweet. I'm not really great at identifying hops at this point so I'm not sure what's in it but I'm picking up some pineyness. As I'm drinking it more and thinking about it this beer seems to be lacking in hops. I'm not sure in that great at describing or depicting the flavors that I pick up which is why I typically don't post reviews on BA. Usually, I stop at "Hey this is good!" or "Meh". So now that I've probably confused you about this beer you may want to pick one up and give it a try. :D

Black widow oatmeal stout Yellowstone Valley Brewing Co. From across the state in Billings Montana where I grew up (not that I ever did) Lots of roast in this one the jury is out but I think it will grow on me.

ForumRunner_20130522_202108.png

A friends saison brewed with 3lbs of orange blossom honey and fermented with 3711. It's delicious. Something like 10.4% and I can't taste it at all. I love homebrew :)

ForumRunner_20130522_202156.jpg

Back