What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homebrewed Dark American Lager

image-3459657690.jpg

Just finished a nice lower gravity simcoe citra ipa and have moved on to my thai basil saison, hitting the spot right now.

Parallel 49 "Ugly Sweater" Milk stout. For homebrew I'm into my "Hophoarder" IPA (Summit, Columbus and Cascade hopped) and a variation of Denny Conn's Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter.

Ok....I am taking a Vaca day tomorrow, the wife is out with friends, so I took this time to come up with a Porter recipe to brew Friday.......But...In that time I went up and down the river on the kegerator (see below), with multiple (3 each) stops at Saint Stephen's 11 Ale and Buster's Nut Brown......kinda buzzed...#turkeydayrules

Drinking the 2nd or 3rd pint of Death & Taxes...a Kate the Great clone barrel aged for 6 months in a previously used Bourbon County (Goose Island) stout barrel. We did this as a club project with about 8 brewers making the same recipe to fill up the barrel. It turned out absolutely fabulous! I have only 4 gallons! Hope it lasts all winter!

That thai basil saison sounds very interesting. What's in it?

Fairly standard 5% Saison recipe: mostly pils, a little wheat, a touch of munich, some sugar for dryness & about 25 ibus of styrians. Added some citra, green peppercorns and a handful of homegrown thai basil at flameout. It's drinking quite nicely.

I'm drinking a kona brewing company big wave golden ale.
I've got to say I'm not liking it.
I bought a six pack a couple weeks ago and this is the second beer out of it.

This kona brewing beer is brewed in Portland Oregon by the way.

I checked out their website tonight and it lists grains and hops used but I think they've got some secret ingredients because it looks like it would taste better than it does.

Maybe they pull the water from the Willamette river down stream from where the raw sewage overflows into the river?

My own Rue de Rouge Saison. Second bottle. Sad thing is I don't like it much. Muddy, uninteresting flavor, too low carbonation, generally boring.

Also tried my Westvlerteren clone. That one is a very good beer, just too sweet for my taste. The flavors (besides the sweetness) are well balanced and the 11% alcohol is nicely covered by the roastiness and the belgian yeast flavors. I gave it two months to carb and dry up. The former happened, nice carb and fluffy big head, but the later didn't, too sweet. I think someone will like it, just not me. I give some to friends who like it and keep some for another 6 months for tasting.

I've resolved for now to sticking with IPAs and Stouts, both of which I have good solid recipes for with repeatable great results. Slowly, I will improve my skills with belgians.

Homebrewed wheat ale, pumpkin ale, and trappist trippel ale. Looking forward to testing my hard cider thursday. Doing a hydro sample to see where I'm at! ;-)

Homebrew blonde. I accidentally got some bottle yeast in there so it's cloudy. Refer to the post I made last night about this beer to see how clear it actually is.

20121121_181715.jpg

Green Flash Brewing Hop Head Red IRA, good, but tomorrow will be my home-brewed IPA that I brewed for all the friends and family that are coming over!

-Paul

I was super excited by the name of this beer, but alas my dreams have been crushed. It's a passable chocolate stout, but I don't get hardly any truffle from it.

20121121_190958.jpg

nukebrewer said:
I was super excited by the name of this beer, but alas my dreams have been crushed. It's a passable chocolate stout, but I don't get hardly any truffle from it.

Forget the truffle, how about the hooker the label promised?

Big Flats 1901, from Walgreens. My wife said a sixer was about $3. Tastes like it.

Thick foamy white head that fades fast and leaves only negligible lacing.

Bright yellow and amazingly translucent color. You can read the newspaper through this beer.

Smells like cheap beer, salt and iron pipes.

Tastes like cheap beer, salt and iron pipes.

Feels like water.

I've got 5 more to drink tonight. At least I'll be well hydrated.

Budweiser Batch #63118 Golden Ale.
Soft fruit and streusel and mild European hops are present in the inviting aroma. Pours with a present but restrained head. Has the signature yeast bouquet that you expect from Budweiser lager, but more pronounced, warmer, and malty. You can feel the extra alcohol in this as it warms up. (6.0%) Feels creamy and effervescent as it goes down. Overall a rather nice flavorful pale lager. Would make an excellent "nice" on-tap beer at a gourmet bar/restaurant, but you could still probably convince your dad to try a sip.

#91406 Deep Amber Lager
Gingerbread, oven baked peaches, and graham crackers come out from the aroma. Color is as you would expect, a light-toffee amber. Not noticeably maltier than the Golden, oddly enough - you can certainly tell it's the same yeast strain. Finishes sweet with a warm and round hop note that doesn't scream of any single variety, but does hum nicely in harmony, the brochure notes 'four different types of hops' were used. Less evident alcohol heat than the Golden, and a slight note of plum in its finish. Quite palatable, this would be a good pizzeria beer.

#23185 Williamsburg - Bourbon Cask Lager
Faint vanilla and malt in the very mild, reserved nose. Pours clear and a dark straw color, I expected a lot bolder of a beer, but compared to the Amber and the Golden, this beer is quite understated overall. As you let it warm, you begin to pick up more oak and vanilla and whiskey, but it's definitely smooth and quite subtle.

Southern Tier Creme Brûlée Stout
This is very good. Tastes and smells exactly like I imagined it would based on the name.

image-3418483673.jpg

Latest posts

Back