What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NordeastBrewer77 said:
So what you're tryin' to tell us is that you went from high gravity to anti gravity? Epic! :ban:

After that I had a few minutes to burn waiting for my wife so I went to carnevino and got a glass of wine. They had these homemade liquors sitting on the bar and I asked to try some. Bartender said I was the first person to ask, and started pouring me shots of all kinds of stuff for free. For my $10 glass of wine I ended up drinking $60+ of booze. I was seriously drunk when I finally met my wife. : drunk:

This cider is really starting to come into its own. Its cleared up a bunch. Is wrong that I got a semi when I saw how clear this is?

20121120_181943.jpg

nukebrewer said:
This cider is really starting to come into its own. Its cleared up a bunch. Is wrong that I got a semi when I saw how clear this is?

It's only wrong if you act upon it.

nukebrewer said:
Looks good. I haven't brewed a brown in a while. Mind coughin' up the recipe so I can give it a go next time I brew one?

No problem. I'll post it when I get to my notes.

Drinking a Boulevard Dark Truth Stout. Not as good as Founders Breakfast Stout, so not sure if I should break into that next, or go for the homebrew. I'm thinking homebrew.

nukebrewer said:
Looks good. I haven't brewed a brown in a while. Mind coughin' up the recipe so I can give it a go next time I brew one?

This was a 2.5 gallon batch so you'll have to adjust the ingredients for your batch size, efficiency, etc to get to the same results.
OG 1.053
FG 1.011
23L
36IBU

3.5 lbs 2 row
1.25 lbs light Munich
.75 lbs crystal 50L
.25 lbs brown malt 65L
.25 lbs crystal 10L
3 oz crystal 120L
2 oz pale chocolate malt 200L
.5 oz perle hops 8.7% AA (60 min)
.25 oz sterling hops 7% AA (20 min)
Whirfloc tab
2 teaspoons hazelnut extract at bottling
WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Mash 154F for 60 min
Boil 60 min
Ferment 3 weeks
After 4-5 weeks in bottle it started tasting the best and still tastes great after 4 months.

jperry said:
I may get stabbed for this one...

Yes, I would stab you for the three of those that aren't available to me in Houston. But if I made the trip to stab you, I might as well just buy them and spare you. :)

This was a 2.5 gallon batch so you'll have to adjust the ingredients for your batch size, efficiency, etc to get to the same results.
OG 1.053
FG 1.011
23L
36IBU

3.5 lbs 2 row
1.25 lbs light Munich
.75 lbs crystal 50L
.25 lbs brown malt 65L
.25 lbs crystal 10L
3 oz crystal 120L
2 oz pale chocolate malt 200L
.5 oz perle hops 8.7% AA (60 min)
.25 oz sterling hops 7% AA (20 min)
Whirfloc tab
2 teaspoons hazelnut extract at bottling
WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Mash 154F for 60 min
Boil 60 min
Ferment 3 weeks
After 4-5 weeks in bottle it started tasting the best and still tastes great after 4 months.

Thanks. If you don't take offense, I'm probably going to sub in different hops. I don't have either of those varieties, but I have similar. Cheers! :mug:

nukebrewer said:
Thanks. If you don't take offense, I'm probably going to sub in different hops. I don't have either of those varieties, but I have similar. Cheers! :mug:

No problem at all. There's such little hop presence anyways, it won't even matter. The grain really is the key. The resulting beer already had a roasted nutty flavor that really complimented the hazelnut extract. If you do end up brewing this one let me know how it turned out and any changes you made.

No problem at all. There's such little hop presence anyways, it won't even matter. The grain really is the key. The resulting beer already had a roasted nutty flavor that really complimented the hazelnut extract. If you do end up brewing this one let me know how it turned out and any changes you made.

I'll do you one better. I'll bring a couple with me when I come to Houston to visit family for the holidays so you can compare. Probably won't be ready to drink by that time, but you'll have it in hand at least.

crbrown25 said:
Sierra Nevada celebration ale.

First, let me say I'd been drinking for 2-3 hours prior...
But...
I was totally underwhelmed by this year's SN Celebration! Anyone else?

nukebrewer said:
I'll do you one better. I'll bring a couple with me when I come to Houston to visit family for the holidays so you can compare. Probably won't be ready to drink by that time, but you'll have it in hand at least.

Sounds great! I'll still have some left I'm sure so you can take a couple of mine.

SN Torpedo. This is the first time I've had this one. Very good!

View attachment 84883

It comes in a can?

Speaking of Torpedo, I was so freaking pissed at the restaurant SWMBO and I went to tonight. All their menu said was "Sierra Nevada" so I asked what SN they had. The chick says, "the pale ale, the IPA." I got all excited thinking they might have Torpedo, so I asked her to clarify if it was the pale ale or the IPA. Her reply was that they're the same. :mad:

I may get stabbed for this one...

I've contemplated stabbing someone over Firestone before, thought the better of it at the time, but I've always regretted that decision. ;)

HPIM1432.jpg
Not my favorite, but my local shop was out of Tramp Stamp, Sumpin' Wild and Belgo. I looked at the Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, tempting, but I wasn't sure. Anyone had that one? Any good?

nukebrewer said:
It comes in a can?

Speaking of Torpedo, I was so freaking pissed at the restaurant SWMBO and I went to tonight. All their menu said was "Sierra Nevada" so I asked what SN they had. The chick says, "the pale ale, the IPA." I got all excited thinking they might have Torpedo, so I asked her to clarify if it was the pale ale or the IPA. Her reply was that they're the same. :mad:

This is the first time I've seen it here in a can. I picked it over the bottles if for anything just to be different.
You gotta love uninformed/unhelpful wait staff when it comes to beer.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Not my favorite, but my local shop was out of Tramp Stamp, Sumpin' Wild and Belgo. I looked at the Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, tempting, but I wasn't sure. Anyone had that one? Any good?

I actually enjoyed that one but, like you said, not my favorite. I'll have to try tramp stamp. That is if I can find a bottle from 2012 around here. I had bought what I later found to be an old bottle of hoppy feet. I returned to the store and all their clown shoes beer was old and I told the "beer guy" for that location about it. He was an idiot that didn't understand that a bottling date of 8/2011 was old for an IPA. He said " Atleast that's the bottling date and not the brewing date." What!? Oh well, I'll keep looking. The store has locations all over town. I pass by Atleast ten a day so there's bound to be one that turns over stock on clown shoes faster.

I actually enjoyed that one but, like you said, not my favorite. I'll have to try tramp stamp. That is if I can find a bottle from 2012 around here. I had bought what I later found to be an old bottle of hoppy feet. I returned to the store and all their clown shoes beer was old and I told the "beer guy" for that location about it. He was an idiot that didn't understand that a bottling date of 8/2011 was old for an IPA. He said " Atleast that's the bottling date and not the brewing date." What!? Oh well, I'll keep looking. The store has locations all over town. I pass by Atleast ten a day so there's bound to be one that turns over stock on clown shoes faster.

I might be able to bring some fresh Clown Shoes with me. Let me know if I should bother.

Breakfast stout

image-2205478363.jpg

Had a few tonight, homebrew saison, hb stout, bruery saison de lente, and Gavroche all shared with my wife.

I've contemplated stabbing someone over Firestone before, thought the better of it at the time, but I've always regretted that decision. ;)

Not Firestone, but in general I've thought that there are some beers worth stabbing over. Surly anything comes to mind. Heady Topper is also up there, but that is much more accessible to me, so I'll just drive up there to get it under the pretense that we're going to visit family.

I'm sampling a few things tonight that I've never had. On the menu:

1. NOLA Brown Ale
2. Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar
3. Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale
4. Bulleit Rye Whiskey

Definitely try a fresh Stamp, it's good, fruity, hoppy. Definitely worth it. :mug:

Not Firestone, but in general I've thought that there are some beers worth stabbing over. Surly anything comes to mind. Heady Topper is also up there, but that is much more accessible to me, so I'll just drive up there to get it under the pretense that we're going to visit family.

The Topper is another one I'd think about committing stabicide over. Love that stuff.

Not quite at the stab-eriffic level, but a d@mn good black IPA.
HPIM1433.jpg

Terminal Gravity brewings IPA...beer mail from let's pour..it's ok..gotta variety case from heretic in the mail as well looooooove evil twin gramarye, hell all of them. 120 min from this year on deck...I think

nukebrewer said:
I might be able to bring some fresh Clown Shoes with me. Let me know if I should bother.

I appreciate that. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything fresh.

Back