What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure, if two months has taught you anything, you can most definitely....not trust me. :p
But, the Shiner birthday beer isn't bad. It smells and tastes like a Hershey's kiss. Nowhere near the best chocolate stout I've had, but worth a try.

That's the problem. I like bitter bitter chocolate. Not Hershey's by a long shot.

I'll grab a sixer. SWMBO will probably dig it.

Yooper's Oatmeal Stout...not happy with this, but I'm sure its something I must have done wrong. Too many people have loved it and I know Yooper has lots of experience. My rudimentary equipment and lack of experience likely... temp control not extremely dependable. Mine has a little carb issue and a little tangy flavor. Not infected, I don't think...just off. So I added a little coffee liqueur and I can drink it.

IMG_20150301_224401668.jpg

That's the problem. I like bitter bitter chocolate. Not Hershey's by a long shot.

I'll grab a sixer. SWMBO will probably dig it.[/QUOT

Have u had southern tiers chokolate that's a good stout with loads of chocolate and nice thick body that balances it out nicely. Plus it's like 10% a plus in my book. I can still find some.

I'm thinking about doubling up next weekend. SWMBO is fully behind a pipeline if it means I don't buy commercial. The $12 sixer of Deschutes yesterday may have been a wake up call.

Have u had southern tiers chokolate that's a good stout with loads of chocolate and nice thick body that balances it out nicely. Plus it's like 10% a plus in my book. I can still find some.

I haven't seen anything by Southern Tier around here.

I'm thinking about doubling up next weekend. SWMBO is fully behind a pipeline if it means I don't buy commercial. The $12 sixer of Deschutes yesterday may have been a wake up call.

12$ really that's nothing. Lol. That's the going rate here in mich for any good six pack.

I tried that once...then I started buying more for "research".

It quickly spiraled into Avery barrel aged release parties (when I am in CO) and lots of trades.

Eek. That's literally what I'm brewing next. Figure it out ASAP.

I don't know if I'll be able to figure it out. I tried to stick to the recipe, but had to make a couple close subs. And I brew BIAB, so I upped the amount of the base grain by one pound, to hit efficiency...that *might* have been my mistake in flavor... and my mash temperature is tough to regulate. Then I ferment at room temp in my house...usually around 69-70F in Nov through May (a few degrees higher in warmer months). I haven't nailed down my carb issue yet. I replaced my racking tubing and I'm using carboys instead of bottling buckets for fermentation, but I've always been a nut about cleaning and sanitizing. I've decided to start running my bottles through the dishwasher, too; instead of just using the bottle washer with Starsan. If you haven't been experiencing any issues with your system, I would say you will be safe following Yooper's recipe as closely as possible...read through the thread! Sorry to rattle on!

So, to close out the birthday, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout w/ Gingerbread. Same carb issue; fresh ginger is strong in the nose and flavor...the "bread" part is way in the background still. Better drinking beer, though. Ginger covers the twang.

IMG_20150301_235716041.jpg

I haven't seen anything by Southern Tier around here.

They're supposed to be in TX according to seekabrew. They are available here on draft and in bombers for most things and 6 packs for a few others. Lots of variants of stouts and IPAs. Their Choklat stout is a really good stout.

Water since coffee isn't done yet.

I don't know if I'll be able to figure it out. I tried to stick to the recipe, but had to make a couple close subs. And I brew BIAB, so I upped the amount of the base grain by one pound, to hit efficiency...that *might* have been my mistake in flavor... and my mash temperature is tough to regulate. Then I ferment at room temp in my house...usually around 69-70F in Nov through May (a few degrees higher in warmer months). I haven't nailed down my carb issue yet. I replaced my racking tubing and I'm using carboys instead of bottling buckets for fermentation, but I've always been a nut about cleaning and sanitizing. I've decided to start running my bottles through the dishwasher, too; instead of just using the bottle washer with Starsan. If you haven't been experiencing any issues with your system, I would say you will be safe following Yooper's recipe as closely as possible...read through the thread! Sorry to rattle on!

So, to close out the birthday, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout w/ Gingerbread. Same carb issue; fresh ginger is strong in the nose and flavor...the "bread" part is way in the background still. Better drinking beer, though. Ginger covers the twang.

Which yeast did you use?

Coffee. Building problems at the kids' school on the rare day that my wife is scheduled to work = me heading home to try and be productive from there pretty soon.

They're supposed to be in TX according to seekabrew. They are available here on draft and in bombers for most things and 6 packs for a few others. Lots of variants of stouts and IPAs. Their Choklat stout is a really good stout.

Water since coffee isn't done yet.

FWIW I don't think seekabrew has been updated in months or maybe a year or more.

Wyeast British Ale II (#1335) and it was VERY fresh. Dated Dec. 10th and I brewed on Dec 22.

More coffee.

If the overcarb turns out to be that the beer was a little underfermented rather than an infection, have you brewed many dark beers before and did they have a similar 'tang'? Could be a water issue. Mine is great for pale to medium colored beers, but need some buffering or dark beers tend to taste a little acidic.

cawfeh. gonna brave work today.

Welcome back!

My little one decided she wasn't tired. We shut down the park and got in at 1245 lol. 9am fast pass in the studios so coffee. Lots of coffee v

Ah, vacation is such a great time to relax, right?! :D

Having coffee and oatmeal after spending 2 1/2 hours chipping at ice. The driveway and front walk took 45 minutes since I'd left the snow sit and just had to ice break and shovel the heavy stuff. The sidewalk took the other hour and 45 minutes since a neighbor (or two) decided to be helpful and shovel the snow as the sleet began. One solid sheet of ice stuck to the concrete :(

Welcome back!

Ah, vacation is such a great time to relax, right?! :D

Having coffee and oatmeal after spending 2 1/2 hours chipping at ice. The driveway and front walk took 45 minutes since I'd left the snow sit and just had to ice break and shovel the heavy stuff. The sidewalk took the other hour and 45 minutes since a neighbor (or two) decided to be helpful and shovel the snow as the sleet began. One solid sheet of ice stuck to the concrete :(

That's incredible. We received 8" of nothing but snow. No sleet. We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow night through Wednesday and then some more on Thursday. I'm done with this nonsense.

I hate moving snow. I spent the last hour or so shoveling the bit my neighbor couldn't get with his plow truck. He came in around 6 a.m. and cleared my driveway. I have mounds of snow that are 6' high all around the front of the house. Won't melt 'til mid-April, I bet.

Wyeast British Ale II (#1335) and it was VERY fresh. Dated Dec. 10th and I brewed on Dec 22.

More coffee.

Hmm. I don't have any experience with that yeast myself, but have read it can give you some of the English "tartness" in the finish that's common in some of the other strains. I've gotten this from Notty and US-04 at temps above 65.

Black coffee as I contemplate adding the honey & molasses to my kottbusser in primary for a second fermentation. It's been a bit warmer lately with 43F coming tomorrow.

Coffee. Up at 6:30 am on my day off. :( Ah well, I caught up on some TV shows and eventually I'll make my way to a shower and to finish someone's mash paddle. :D

More Coff.

And it's snowing hard yet again. WTF

FWIW I don't think seekabrew has been updated in months or maybe a year or more.

It was updated fairly recently at least where Southern Tier is concerned. I sent them a note in August that we had Southern Tier, and they finally updated it in February. Funny thing is that they didn't update Lagunitas when I told them about it in the same email.

Coff.

Back