What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Coff.

Sanitizing bottles so I can bottle another beer. Smells ridiculous.

It's 60F on the first floor of my house; little warmer upstairs. Ridiculous temps.

This is what i found this morning. Looked like a warzone. Idk how long the lid was off but im not too worried. Gose is violent bunch lol

1408104991770.jpg

This is what i found this morning. Looked like a warzone. Idk how long the lid was off but im not too worried. Gose is violent bunch lol

I do not brew as much as most of you guys, but I have never had a blow off. I even had a couple of batches in which I felt way too little head space and had a very vigorous fermentation...but no blow off. I certainly have never blown a lid off of an Ale Pale. I guess I have something to strive for.

Coffee hoping I don't have to drive to Waco today

"If you've made something that doesn't offend anybody, you've made Budweiser"
-Augie Carton-

I've only entered one beer comp in my life. I entered the same comp again this year and surprised results are not up. The festival at which awards will be given is this weekend. Wouldn't you think results would be up by now? I'm not expecting to win anything, but I like to see the stats on the website about the entries that did win.

Coffee hoping I don't have to drive to Waco today

"If you've made something that doesn't offend anybody, you've made Budweiser"
-Augie Carton-
nobody wants to drive to Waco today. it's like Fresno. Tommy Chong: "Hey, nobody wants to go to Fresno, man."

I've only entered one beer comp in my life. I entered the same comp again this year and surprised results are not up. The festival at which awards will be given is this weekend. Wouldn't you think results would be up by now? I'm not expecting to win anything, but I like to see the stats on the website about the entries that did win.
another reason I don't like comps.

I do not brew as much as most of you guys, but I have never had a blow off. I even had a couple of batches in which I felt way too little head space and had a very vigorous fermentation...but no blow off. I certainly have never blown a lid off of an Ale Pale. I guess I have something to strive for.

This is a first for me too. I usually have more head space on it but that yeast just went to town and popped the lid right off. I was surprised that it did that. I also didnt pour the entire yeast starter in there either.

There is one opening up this saturday. I finally have beers to enter this year. last few years I never have any ready to enter but now i got 5-8 beers and a few meads to enter. Going to win something this time around for beer not cider like i have previous two years.

They should post the results and send you the score sheets in the mail. Just have to be patient

another reason I don't like comps.

I will admit that most of my beers are not good enough for comps, but I thought the feedback from last year's entry was a good way to start improving. That feedback got me thinking more seriously about my water. I entered a similar beer this year, with a lot of attention paid to the water, and I am hoping I can see the difference in the feedback.

I like to enter just to get feed back and see if people like my beer. I had a mead that scored a 23 in one comp and a 43 in the next. Same batch, same mead. Its sometime luck of the draw and get judges that like your beer or they hate something in there (adjuncts style) and throw their opinion on the page that does not help you improve your beers

I will admit that most of my beers are not good enough for comps, but I thought the feedback from last year's entry was a good way to start improving. That feedback got me thinking more seriously about my water. I entered a similar beer this year, with a lot of attention paid to the water, and I am hoping I can see the difference in the feedback.

personally, I don't trust judges to be impartial to personal taste. and I've had responses that make me wonder if the judges were tasting the same beer. it's great to get feed back to improve your process and your beer, but I personally don't like comps.

and with that being said, I am going to be a hypocrite and entering into the Byggvir Beer Cup this year.

personally, I don't trust judges to be impartial to personal taste. and I've had responses that make me wonder if the judges were tasting the same beer. it's great to get feed back to improve your process and your beer, but I personally don't like comps.

and with that being said, I am going to be a hypocrite and entering into the Byggvir Beer Cup this year.

I agree. It is a taste competition and taste is subjective. But the feedback I got from both judges like that led me to understand that my water was too chlorinated and the pH was out of whack really helped my brewing, I think. I noticed a bit of a harsh after taste in that beer that the judges called "too much bitter for the style" but then went on and described another off flavor that I researched and discovered was probably from my water...and could explain a perceived bitter after-taste as well. If I score a 20 on this beer, but do not have that off-flavor, then at least I will feel like I learned something and fixed it...I can then move on to find the next step to making it better.

When you brew a big Russian imperial stout or a big Belgian you will.

The lid on the last quad I made cracked around the rim. Both RIS I've made, the floccing lids were dome-shaped even with the blow-off.

Early morning bottling. This Brett saison is tart as hell and smells like a disaster. :D it's funky as ****

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408108878.678526.jpg

I like to enter just to get feed back and see if people like my beer. I had a mead that scored a 23 in one comp and a 43 in the next. Same batch, same mead. Its sometime luck of the draw and get judges that like your beer or they hate something in there (adjuncts style) and throw their opinion on the page that does not help you improve your beers

I completely agree with this. Also, most of the time we do not brew a beer so it fits their style guideline perfectly. I recently had a saison score a 29 because it didnt have a peppery note to it, but the judge ask me to send over the recipe because they loved it. Its nice to hear feedback but try to take it with a grain a salt

The lid on the last quad I made cracked around the rim. Both RIS I've made, the floccing lids were dome-shaped even with the blow-off.

Early morning bottling. This Brett saison is tart as hell and smells like a disaster. :D it's funky as ****

View attachment 217790

My last brew was a 1.080 stout with little head space. I put a blow-off tube on it but nothing but C02 came through it. I do not know much about the yeast strain, though, as I harvested it from a Bell's Porter.

EDIT: but the difference, I suppose, is that I had a lot of non-fermentables in there to get to 1.080.

My last brew was a 1.080 stout with little head space. I put a blow-off tube on it but nothing but C02 came through it. I do not know much about the yeast strain, though, as I harvested it from a Bell's Porter.

how did you aerate? how big a starter you use? did you add any yeast nutrient?

This is the core of it. No matter what a judge might "strive" for - if they end up judging a style they don't like (or don't understand) you're not going to get good feedback. The informal comp we had for our homebrew club over winter was best because we all drank with the judges after and got some better feedback then checked boxes along with a couple of words.

Onto my second coffee now ... finally feeling like I'm waking up...

View attachment 217790

Did you get a different capper or just decided to go ahead and try your hand capper with the JK bottles? Sounds good - I'm going to throw some chardonnay soaked oak (actually, a lot of chardonnay soaked oak) in my saison with brett this weekend and then give it a couple more weeks.

I've made DIPAs with OGs of ~1.080, pitched a starter and didn't need a blow-off. Never used a blow-off on any DIPA or other beer I've made for that matter, except for big belgians (tripel/quad) and RIS. I pitched two starters of Trappist into my quad and that thing took off like a wild beast. For my RIS, I make one starter and it goes absolutely nuts that same night. All OGs upwards of 1.100.

Did you get a different capper or just decided to go ahead and try your hand capper with the JK bottles? Sounds good - I'm going to throw some chardonnay soaked oak (actually, a lot of chardonnay soaked oak) in my saison with brett this weekend and then give it a couple more weeks.

I had to buy another fitting/attachment...that housing in the middle. It's slightly bigger so it can cap the 750 ml bottles. The problem with this capper is it doesn't completely clamp down on these bottles. I did my best and hope the pressure holds. I didn't want to put too much strength into it fearing I'd break the bottles. They seem pretty tight and I had capped a few empties before capping those bottles with actual beer in them.

Be prepared for an enormous messy blowout on your next brew.

Be prepared for an enormous messy blowout on your next brew.

Haha...I'm always prepared for it...and it never comes. I put the fermenter in the chamber (an old kegerator) and put a mother-load of towels around the front of it to catch anything that seeps out.

Drinking water, but what I am eating is some insanely awesome baking ingenuity. One of the people I have been working with this week to get her computer account working brought in some soft chocolate ccupcakes with an oreo as the bottom and a full sized peanut butter cup on top of that before the batter was poured over prior to baking. True, my teeth ache from the sheer amount of sweetness but it is freaking amazing. These would go great with a stout. Heck, anything goes great with a stout. Or an IPA, or a Saison, or a Belgian...

Latest posts

Back