What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Te'j clone. Just a little tart, guessing from the champagne yeast. Gesho comes through nicely. Pretty happy with the local wildflower honey in it, nice flavor, a little more exciting than orange blossom for me at least.

Thanks. My only secondary vessel is a 7+ gallon glass carboy and I don't like that kind of headspace without active fermentation. Here's my plan:

OG = 1.080

SRM = 40

IBU = 60

Yeast - slurry harvested from Bell's Porter

Boil time = 90 min

Grain:

13.0 lbs. Maris Otter

2.0 lbs. Flaked Oats

0.75 lbs. Crystal 80L

1.0 lbs. Chocolate Malt

0.50 lbs. Black Patent

Hops:

1.5 oz Northern Brewer (60 min) 9.6AA

1.5 oz Willamette (20 min) 4.9 AA

Other:

1.0 lb. Lactose (10 min)

3.0 oz. Dutch Cocoa (10 min)

2 scraped vanilla beans (10 min)

2 scraped vanilla beans soaked in vodka (secondary)

Primary/Secondary - 4-5 weeks

Bottle Condition - Until Thanksgiving

Fridge Time - Thanksgiving until Christmas

Sound ok?

Why the lactose? The rest of it looks fine.

Not bad. I still think the first one that came to TX back in '12 was better.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403054133.379431.jpg

Drinking a Ranger Creek Smoked Porter after cleaning out my beer room to make room for company coming this weekend. I did find 2 bottles of my smoked porter I brewed 4 years ago that I forgot about. I'm excited to see what it tastes like now. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403059562.431394.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks Hello for spreading the Gose experience! My first and I have to say, this is definitely different! Wasn't sure I liked it with first sniff/sip, but it quickly had me coming back for more. Disclaimer: I am NOT a renowned expert in the proper critiquing of beer, nor is my palate experienced at recognizing specific hops, grains, etc. With that stipulated, here's what what I got: aroma is not grassy/herbal hoppy, it reminds me of a German Pilsner with a little citrus. A sip can actually be followed from the tip of the tongue to cheeks to the back of the tongue...sour, tart, salt. The tart in the cheeks makes my mouth water. The salt brings me back for more, The carb is more like a fizz from Orangina, rather than a beer. I can see how this would be addicting and with a 4% ABV, it would be very refreshing and sessionable. The aroma that I'm getting as Pils could be the coriander ...that's my lack of experience. And I wouldn't call it "fruity"...but I've had some little fruit flies in the house recently...since strawberries were picked and brought inside...and 3 or 4 of them found my glass almost as soon as I poured the beer! Anyway, I'm diggin' it. Any comments on my description...where I'm right/wrong or whatever? I'd be interested in hearing from more experienced beer tasters who have tried Westbrook Gose...always trying to improve my own knowledge! Thanks again, Hello!

DSC05015.jpg

And my second, and likely final, pour of the night: Old Chub Scotch Ale. Not a sessionable brew at 8%, but a damn fine little session all its own! Roasty and malty together; a little sweet, but not too much. Just a little bitter in the finish and a bit of the alcohol warmth slowly appears in the back of the throat and in the nose, as I exhale. The can is entertaining too: "It's like Sputnik...a virtual planetoid." What?! On the bottom: " Canned on 04/01/14 @ 10:08 Chubble-Scope". Looking forward to visiting Oskar Blues in Brevard, NC soon. I don't know if the beer is any cheaper there, but maybe I'll grab a t-shirt or glass or something! An "Old Chub" shirt would be appropriate.:eek:

DSC05016.jpg

Ice cold lemonade with a couple ounces of New Holland's Beer Barrel Bourbon. It's too damn hot for me to remember the beer in my fridge.

Weeeeell, I stayed up puttering around my e-mail and Facebook, like a dummy...so I went for another nightcap:
HB Major Nelson's IPA...still popping up a big head. Have to use the pint glass and pour slowly and carefully! Hops in the nose and some spice in the finish. Hello---if you haven't opened the one you got yet, it's not a gusher, but pour slowly!!! Reminds me of the Smokestack Series Tank 7 Saison from Boulevard that I just drank recently.
Now I really AM going to bed!

DSC05018.jpg

Weeeeell, I stayed up puttering around my e-mail and Facebook, like a dummy...so I went for another nightcap:
HB Major Nelson's IPA...still popping up a big head. Have to use the pint glass and pour slowly and carefully! Hops in the nose and some spice in the finish. Hello---if you haven't opened the one you got yet, it's not a gusher, but pour slowly!!! Reminds me of the Smokestack Series Tank 7 Saison from Boulevard that I just drank recently.
Now I really AM going to bed!

Glad you liked the Gose. I'll give you a couple more cans. I'll also pour that Nelson slowly.

Walked into the office today and went about the usual routine. Loaded up the Keurig machine and let 'er rip. Sorted through my emails, went to the bathroom, etc. I grabbed my coffee mug and it was empty. I know I brewed a cup, I know I didn't drink a cup...so what could have happened...?

Damn you. It's a crappy day here and I have morning meetings that require me to attempt to be polite to people in the AM.

What are you cooking?

That stinks, man. The weekend is almost here, though!

Making Cream of 3 Crops (another brew for my two neighbors). I'm keeping some. :)

I'm also bottling my latest DIPA. Then going to my farewell dinner later tonight where I will need someone to drive me home.

Latest posts

Back