What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might be able to score some gypsum or calcium chloride elsewhere. Don't know if you'd be able to get pure or food grade stuff. Some rudimentary googling shows garden gypsum easy to find, but I'm guessing there's a bunch of other stuff in there too you don't want in your beer.

You could also get epsom salt easily at a pharmacy, but to drop a pH that much you'd need so much it'd probably have a bunch of unwanted consequences.

I have gypsum and calcium chloride, which are both being added to mash and sparge water.

So much proper glassware going on lately. I love me some BMaw. This beer is great, thanks coldcrash!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399600808.619637.jpg

I have gypsum and calcium chloride, which are both being added to mash and sparge water.

If you're already adding both, first solution would be to add more. If you're already adding a bunch (and don't want that much sulfate or chloride), then I'm guessing you've got major alkaline water, and it might be worth preboiling it to precipitate CaCO3. That'd drop the alkalinity substantially, and allow you drop the pH much more easily. I'd head over to the brewing science section where A.J. DeLange and Martin Brungard hang out for instructions. There's also instructions in the Palmer/Kaminski water book. And probalby instructions on the Bru'N Water web page. And probably elsewhere. Don't remember if it's in How To Brew or not.

Or, of course, just add lactic or phosphoric acid if you can get it. That'd be a lot easier.

Edit: Or just dilute it with distilled water, which you should be able to get at most any grocery store.

Meanwhile, still nursing the double pour of Weizenbock.

If you're already adding both, first solution would be to add more. If you're already adding a bunch (and don't want that much sulfate or chloride), then I'm guessing you've got major alkaline water, and it might be worth preboiling it to precipitate CaCO3. That'd drop the alkalinity substantially, and allow you drop the pH much more easily. I'd head over to the brewing science section where A.J. DeLange and Martin Brungard hang out for instructions. There's also instructions in the Palmer/Kaminski water book. And probalby instructions on the Bru'N Water web page. And probably elsewhere. Don't remember if it's in How To Brew or not.

Or, of course, just add lactic or phosphoric acid if you can get it. That'd be a lot easier.

Meanwhile, still nursing the double pour of Weizenbock.

Thanks for all the advice, Im using RO water though. I will just have to find some lactic acid. I may end up driving an hour to the closest HBS to get some.

Back to my growler of Fortnight Brewing Co.'s growler of ESB. Good stuff and I don't want to waste it. Opened it last night and have this one and another pour to go. Recycled pic. No steaks to overcook tonight.

DSC04673.jpg

There is a realistic chance of him dropping to round 2. There are teams that have said Bridgewatwer and Carr are both higher on the chart. Will 3 QB's be taken yet in the first round?

Well, were on the clock. Haha (what a name) was the other guy I thought we'd take. I won't be shocked to see Johnny's name called now...

There is a realistic chance of him dropping to round 2. There are teams that have said Bridgewatwer and Carr are both higher on the chart. Will 3 QB's be taken yet in the first round?

I wouldnt be surprised if he pulled a Geno and didnt go till tomorrow.

How many of those did you end up with? I had my first one last week and enjoyed the hell out of it.

i think i kept 3 for myself. I know i have one more down in the basement. they haven't released any special bottles lately. i have a feeling they are due for a few releases in the next couple months.

chromebook camera doesn't take very good photo.

i think i kept 3 for myself. I know i have one more down in the basement. they haven't released any special bottles lately. i have a feeling they are due for a few releases in the next couple months.

chromebook camera doesn't take very good photo.

Well you know someone who is always looking for some of their special releases, if you need to get rid of a few. :D I hope they have something nice to grab while im in CO in early august. IF anything, it would just be awesome to visit their tap room.

Well you know someone who is always looking for some of their special releases, if you need to get rid of a few. :D I hope they have something nice to grab while im in CO in early august. IF anything, it would just be awesome to visit their tap room.

if they do any special releases, i can grab and hold them until August.

The new tap room is nice. they also just re-opened the original location where they age a lot of their stuff. it's a lot smaller and has no real food options, but worth a stop.

Black ipa from 2 miles down the road. Not bad.

Edit: my tablet decided this pic looked better rotated. Sorry.

20140508_225238.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, Im using RO water though. I will just have to find some lactic acid. I may end up driving an hour to the closest HBS to get some.

I personally wouldn't sweat it that much. 5.6 should not be an issue. I usually shoot for 5.4 but have wound up at 5.6 without any issues. Ymmv.

On to this and then to bed.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399610049.809557.jpg

thumb2_photo1-62937.jpg

St. Dorthy is a seasonal ale brewed by Laht Neppur Brewery. It ended up being a stow away, due to some balancing issues. Fortunately enough it aged incredibly well. Apricots and Peaches with cinnamon(?) came out a little bit higher than 8% abv.

An ESB from a local brewery that I won't name because the owner is a ballsac. But it was a keg given to me free and it's some damned good beer.

Coffee at work. Who stays up that late to watch the draft and drinks that much when they have to be to work at 5am? Feeling like shat.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Water. I accidentally left my temp probe hanging outside my keezer for 4 hours yesterday. Kegs didn't seem frozen but I have a fairly worrisome condensation issue that resulted in that water freezing on the sides and bottom. Tossed the probe in and went to bed. Hoping it's okay today. That'll teach me to do things while talking on a conference call.

Latest posts

Back