What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water with a 2.5 chicken breasts and pasta for lunch. I'm hungry.

I was thinking to myself, how can I be any more of a homer today? Then I decided to pop this open ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393446056.549011.jpg
I'm a certified Homer:)

My Düsseldorf Alt, spiked with 0.15 ml of spruce essence. Doing some dilution tests to make sure I don't over or under do it with my Spruce Brown (I was going to go the actual spruce tip route, but they proved enough of a PITA to acquire that I'm going the cheater way and adding essence at bottling time). I did a 1/8 oz per batch yesterday (assuming my typical 4.5 gallons in the bottling bucket), and 1/4 oz per batch today. I'll try 1/2 oz tomorrow to be sure, but I'm quite satisfied with this current one.

My Düsseldorf Alt, spiked with 0.15 ml of spruce essence. Doing some dilution tests to make sure I don't over or under do it with my Spruce Brown (I was going to go the actual spruce tip route, but they proved enough of a PITA to acquire that I'm going the cheater way and adding essence at bottling time). I did a 1/8 oz per batch yesterday (assuming my typical 4.5 gallons in the bottling bucket), and 1/4 oz per batch today. I'll try 1/2 oz tomorrow to be sure, but I'm quite satisfied with this current one.

Is it an essential oil or like a spruce extract? Im curious. Where do you find such a thing?

Sent from richard simmons' living room

Was finally getting around to boxing up banesong's box-o-beer feeling super guilty about my delay and BAM!! Bottle bomb of cider! Luckily I had put all beers in a box and closed it, carried it inside from the garage and set it down. Walked about 3' away and it was an explosion. Took about 24 bottles of cider, uncapped them, dumped them into 1 gallon jugs and they're in my fridge. Guess who will be drinking cider a lot this weekend? That is in between the soon-to-be birthday extravaganza 2014 1.0!

But seriously, the whole bottle cracked at the bottom of the neck near the body. I am so thankful right now that I didn't box that one (it was intended for banesong) and send it. I would never forgive myself if he had gotten hurt by that.

Drinking cider...hahah

I wonder if I can make cider, backsweeten it and keg it.

To the search mobile batman!

The spruce essence is a great flavor alternative. I used it in a spruce IPA and it was great.

The spruce essence is a great flavor alternative. I used it in a spruce IPA and it was great.

I was worried it was going to be very artificial tasting/smelling, but it's surprisingly good. Although it seems a little really goes a long way. The bottle says "one teaspoon per gallon" or 2 oz bottle for 6-12 gallons. Which would be hella overkill.

Is it an essential oil or like a spruce extract? Im curious. Where do you find such a thing?

Sent from richard simmons' living room

To be honest, I'm not sure. Ingredients are water, gum acacia, spruce, alginate, and "preserved with sodium benzoate". The benzoate is concerning, but I'm figuring at the dilution I'm looking at, it shouldn't have a noticeable impact.

But my LHBS sells it, as I'm sure others do as well.

Water. Anyone tried the Sam Adams Rebel IPA? I've heard good reviews, but mostly from BMC drinkers expanding their horizons so I don't really know if it's worth buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Was finally getting around to boxing up banesong's box-o-beer feeling super guilty about my delay and BAM!! Bottle bomb of cider! Luckily I had put all beers in a box and closed it, carried it inside from the garage and set it down. Walked about 3' away and it was an explosion. Took about 24 bottles of cider, uncapped them, dumped them into 1 gallon jugs and they're in my fridge. Guess who will be drinking cider a lot this weekend? That is in between the soon-to-be birthday extravaganza 2014 1.0!

But seriously, the whole bottle cracked at the bottom of the neck near the body. I am so thankful right now that I didn't box that one (it was intended for banesong) and send it. I would never forgive myself if he had gotten hurt by that.

Drinking cider...hahah

Glad no one got hurt. I keg cider but I like it dry so I never tried back sweetening it, you'll still need to off the little guys or the'll go to work on the sugar you back sweeten with.

Drinking cider...hahah

Rough on the bottle breaking.

Yes. My last thing on tap was backsweetened cider. It went damn quick and was very potent. :D
Grabbed some good beers earlier to try for the first time.
Trying some nugget now.

1393452368495.jpg

1393452394921.jpg

Drinking cider...hahah

Glad you didnt get hurt either! If I were you, I would only keg cider from now on or just bottle it still. I bottle still and its great

Rough on the bottle breaking.

Yes. My last thing on tap was backsweetened cider. It went damn quick and was very potent. :D
Grabbed some good beers earlier to try for the first time.
Trying some nugget now.
So you don't worry about a keg bomb or some tall glass of foam if you backsweeten?
Glad you didnt get hurt either! If I were you, I would only keg cider from now on or just bottle it still. I bottle still and its great

To bottle still means you're bottling dry cider, right? I like it slightly sweeter.

I think the 10 psi serving pressure may be too much. 7' of line should be a decent amount considering it's a +/- 10 cu ft fridge. :D

A small pour of M.A.D.E. Beer. Think the carbonation is better now. So happy. Had a Fire & Ice (Brooklyn) & Mosaic by Terrapin at lunch, then some cider and soon I'm off to a brewery to learn about stuff.

IMG_6625.jpg

So you don't worry about a keg bomb or some tall glass of foam if you backsweeten?

To bottle still means you're bottling dry cider, right? I like it slightly sweeter.

I think the 10 psi serving pressure may be too much. 7' of line should be a decent amount considering it's a +/- 10 cu ft fridge. :D

A small pour of M.A.D.E. Beer. Think the carbonation is better now. So happy. Had a Fire & Ice (Brooklyn) & Mosaic by Terrapin at lunch, then some cider and soon I'm off to a brewery to learn about stuff.

I dont back sweeten at all.

Can't drink these fast enough.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393453855.143355.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I waited til it was completely done fermenting at like 2-3 months and racked onto 3 apple juice concentrate cans. Also, it was using Nottingham rather than wine yeast and I think it used some cider and dark brown sugar as well as corn sugar FWIW. Still is uncarbed.

More nugget while playing yahtzee with the kids.

Drinking cider...hahah

D'oh, glad you are okay. I let my cider completely ferment out, down to .998 or so. That being said, it is bone dry and not back sweetened. Looking forward to kegging, so I can play with the sweetness level. I do also bottle it still - drinks like a white wine with apple hints.

Had a Devils Backbone Vienna Lager. Not too bad, was afraid it would be sweeter.

My latest, 101 IBU IPA after just four days. +1 for the anxious club. Smacked.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393456220.099624.jpg

Back