What about all those leftovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenfarmer

Reaction score
Just curious, what do you all do with the stuff left over when done brewing (The lees?) I have heard it is good for plants, but I was thinking something a little more interesting, like possibly giving it to the chickens??? Any thoughts???

Could a "Smaller" beer be made? with the addition of possibly more yeast and or sugar? I know, Rookie question, but we all gotta learn some how.....

Just curious, what do you all do with the stuff left over when done brewing (The lees?) I have heard it is good for plants, but I was thinking something a little more interesting, like possibly giving it to the chickens??? Any thoughts???

Could a "Smaller" beer be made? with the addition of possibly more yeast and or sugar? I know, Rookie question, but we all gotta learn some how.....

Depending on how spent your grains are, you can definitely make a second, smaller brew. this is a tradition that used to occur very regularly in the old days (they didn't like to waste grains). the first 1/3 of your wort contains half of your extract, therefore the first 1/3 will be twice strong as your next 1/3. so if you're making, say, a barleywine, u can use your first run off for that, and make a smaller beer with the rest.

Back