Whalezbrah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger_tucker

Reaction score
I tried the limited release Surly Whalezbrah handed out at Homebrewcon last night. Awesome beer!! I love it when you taste a beer and get something a lot different than most of anything you've had before. I spent a good time trying to place some of the flavors I was getting out of it and just couldn't place it. It seemed like there were some fruity notes coming off of it. At first I thought it might have been an english ale yeast or maybe a saison thing, but it didn't really line up. I found a little bit of information on line. I think they're calling it an oaked APA. Once I read that it was oaked I think that accounted for a lot of what I was getting out of it.

Anybody know anything else about this beer or have any thoughts about the beer?

I tried the limited release Surly Whalezbrah handed out at Homebrewcon last night. Awesome beer!! I love it when you taste a beer and get something a lot different than most of anything you've had before. I spent a good time trying to place some of the flavors I was getting out of it and just couldn't place it. It seemed like there were some fruity notes coming off of it. At first I thought it might have been an english ale yeast or maybe a saison thing, but it didn't really line up. I found a little bit of information on line. I think they're calling it an oaked APA. Once I read that it was oaked I think that accounted for a lot of what I was getting out of it.

Anybody know anything else about this beer or have any thoughts about the beer?

I didn't try it yet. My understanding was that it was pale wheat malt, along with their usual basemalt (golden promise), and some funk. I don't know if it was oak or other wood, but I'm curious to see what others think about it before I break mine open!

By the title I was wondering if this was about a Hawaiian answering the the the question "are those dolphins " or large swimming mammals clothing. ;-)
I have nothing to add to this thread.

It is my understanding it is the same wort as the AHA Wort Rally in Feb. Thus:

"Surly Brewing Company will provide a slightly tart, oaked pale base wort that will be conducive to a variety of fermentation and aging processes. The malt bill primarily consists of Simpson’s Golden Promise malt, accentuated by Weyermann Wheat Malt, Weyermann Acidulated Malt, and Grain Millers Flaked Wheat (all malt/adjuncts were graciously donated by Brewers Supply Group). The wort will be further acidified and oaked through mysterious processes designed by Surly’s brewing team. Bittering hops will be minimal, with IBUs estimated at 10-15."

"The malt bill primarily consisted of Simpsons Golden Promise malt (82%), accentuated by Weyermann wheat malt (9%), Weyermann acidulated malt (4%), and Grain Millers flaked wheat (5%)."

Whatever it was I've now been inspired to try something along these lines. I think the idea of starting with an APA (I have a good one I've brewed a number of times) and dropping the IBU's and the hop characteristics and accentuating the oak characteristics is probably the right path.

I opened mine last night. OMG was that good! I found it to be a mildly bitter balanced beer with wonderful overtones of wood. I even detected a hint of smoke.

They have it listed as a seasonal on their website. I MUST learn to brew this beer!

Anybody working on a recipe for this?

The ingredients from the website are:
Malt:
Simpsons Golden Promise
Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt
Acidulated
Flaked Wheat

Hops:
Warrior

Yeast:
Ale Yeast

OG: 17 Plato

Color: Auburn

They had it on tap briefly in the expo hall. It was mighty tasty. Not terribly high ABV so I'll have to drink it sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Back