Well, this is a new one.... bug in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhistory

Reaction score
So I boil in my garage.... given the 90+ degree days I have to brew with the doors open. Evidently a winged friend must have made it into my boil and then into my primary fermeter. I racked to a secondary and there he was hanging onto the side of the carboy. I have no doubt that he died happy, but my question is, do I pitch the batch? There are no visible signs of contamination and the flavor is spot on for where it should be.... I am the type of guy who wont eat for 3 days after finding a hair in my food so I know I may overreact at times....

What would you do?

B

The added protein should help with head retention. Consider figuring out how to replicate on larger scale!

Happens to me quite often in the summer. Bees love wort.

No reason to toss it. Any germs got killed during the boil... or will once the alcohol gets made

Thank you fellow Brewers.... glad to hear I am not the only one who lets friendly being share in their beer.... literally IN their beer!

If you will be disgusted just thinking about it, and won't enjoy the beer, bring it to me and I will give you a sixer of bug free miller lite. ;)

A bee flew into my homegrown hop IPA 2 years ago. I took it as a sign. I dumped whatever honey we had in the house into it :)

THE sticky steam off a boil inside a house seems to draw critters of all sizes. The outside boilers seem to have one up on that. I built my "mash spoon" with a curved end to dip critters out.

A turkey basting bulb can suck "bits" from your fermenter. (make him spit it out) we used to "drown" flies as children, then bury them in salt, as they dehydrate, they come back to crawl out of the salt and fly off.. it'd be interesting to see a "drunken" fly's flight path.

I need to build a drip tray, I am using a 5 gallon bucket underneath right now, much to the love of my 100lb pitt bulldog (slurp slurp slurp) not much left to attract bugs in my bucket.

Back