Welding 101 = Fun Brutus Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS is nice, basically yeah, because there is zero maintenance, painting, rusting... anything. When I priced SS for my stand, it was $200 for 20', I needed 60'. Luckily I know this guy... and I got 60' for $100 and the TIG weld was free too.

Mild steel is REALLY cheap, plus you can just stick weld it and grind the welds so they look nice if you want to. My stand would have been in excess of $1.2k with the casters and everything, if I had to pay the $600 for the steel and for the welding. Luckily I didn't. Mild steel is just too cheap for most to pass up.

That being said, if you CAN do stainless, Id do it in a heartbeat... it will look excellent forever with little to no maintenance at all.

More mods!

Since I wasn't happy about the paint peeling from the heat. I planned on repainting the top half with the barbeque paint.

So once stripped..I was thinking about a hose holder for the water filter housing. I had some leftover tubing, so I added a holder.

Also, since the ends of the stand had the opening on the top (also the hose holder tube). I went ahead and took some 16ga metal. I cut and welded the metal sheet into place then ground down the welds.

005-4.jpg

003-6.jpg

[QUOTE-GHART999]What's the difference between the 3-MD-MT-HC and the 3-MD-HC? Does it matter which one I get?

The 3-MD-MT-HC has 1/2" MPT inlet and outlet, in a V configuration, as in the photo on the linked page, and it's 1/25 HP. The 3-MD-HC is 1/12 HP, with a 3/4" FPT inlet at 90 degrees to the volute (in line with the motor axis) and a 1/2" MPT outlet. The LG pump with a 1" inlet and 1/2" outlet is either a 4 or 5 Series, which are similar to the 3-MD-HC, but with bigger motors, and are overkill for most hombrew rigs. They have flow rates that could setiously stick your mash![/QUOTE]

I just ordered the 3-MD-MT-HC from plumbersurplus.com for $162 shipped. I hope this thing kicks ass......

That post looks kind of odd, but anyway, you won't be disappointed with the pump. The only way I've found to really stop them from working is to let one of your brew buddies knock a 50cf Oxygen cylinder over and land on it (snapped the outlet nipple/gate valve off), or to drop it onto the nipple end. Even with that, $30 got a new volute, pump was back in business.

Great build, you have inspired me to do the same. Can you tell me which flux wire you ordered from Northern Tool when you bought the welder? I am buying the same one, but after doing some shopping research on the wire I am more confused than when I started.

Thanks in advance!

Great build, you have inspired me to do the same. Can you tell me which flux wire you ordered from Northern Tool when you bought the welder? I am buying the same one, but after doing some shopping research on the wire I am more confused than when I started.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the compliment.
If you are going to buy the one from Northern Tool. A one pound roll of 0.30 flux core wire comes with it along with a small wire brush.

I ran out of wire simply because it wasn't enough. You can always pick up more flux core wire from your local Home Depot, Lowe's.. or what ever hardware store you have in your area. If I remember right the price of the one pound roll was around $10. I picked two rolls up. The brand name was "Lincoln"...which was better wire IMO.

Just make sure it says "flux core" or "shielding gas wire" on it. DO NOT pick up the roll that says for MIGS only. This is not the correct wire for the flux core machine.

Hope this helps out? And good luck, If you have any more questions for me just ask. Ill be happy to help!

For those of you who done have serious cash to throw into a welder look into your local welding supply company for rentals. I work for a gas and welding supply company and rentals are almost always available.

For those of you who done have serious cash to throw into a welder look into your local welding supply company for rentals. I work for a gas and welding supply company and rentals are almost always available.

Good advice..however, I did this before I went out of pocket to buy one.

I checked my local welding co. Also, I checked Hertz and Sunbelt rentals.
For the price to rent it was ok. But as a new welder I knew it was going to take awhile to weld it together. Like a month or a little longer. Which was just cheaper in the long run to buy one.

But your advice is good if you need it less then a week.

Was just cleaning up my rig for its third brew day tomorrow, and thought I'd pop in and ask if you've made any beer with this yet?

Get brewing!

Was just cleaning up my rig for its third brew day tomorrow, and thought I'd pop in and ask if you've made any beer with this yet?

Get brewing!

You know as a matter of fact I DID! I knew I should of taken some pictures. But oh well..

This past Friday (4/16/2010), I was able to make some beer! I made a 5 gal batch of Sweet Stout.

The brew stand was awesome. Work great.. as a matter of fact It worked to great.
I melted the polycarbonate tubing used for the site tube.. I didn't realize I had the nice blue flame set to high on the HLT and before I knew it ....well it started to melt. (I have a 30psi regulator) which was the first time I used it from the other crappy regulator that broke. Man, this regulator can produce some serious flame/heat.

Also, I need to invest in some quick disconnects..The pump itself (rated at only 150 for temp) Had NO problem with the wort to the counterflow chiller!

The paint held up well. Know problems!

The beer turned out great..at least to my standards. I got 75% efficiency. For my first batch in over 10 years...
The "chamber"
001-6.jpg

The "BEER"
002-6.jpg

Thanks for asking...what are you brewing this coming brew?

:tank:

Congrats! I'm doing my first 10 gallon batch on the new rig today. Brewing at a buddy's house. Going to do 10 gallons of ESB.

:mug:

I am about to build your identical setup, just waiting to get back in town in a couple of weeks. If you have any thoughts on things you would change now that you have seen your rig in action I would appreciate any advice you can offer on things you would do differently.

Thanks!

I am about to build your identical setup, just waiting to get back in town in a couple of weeks. If you have any thoughts on things you would change now that you have seen your rig in action I would appreciate any advice you can offer on things you would do differently.

Thanks!

Well there are just a few things that I might change. Not really a issue, nor do I have plans to change them at this moment. But if I were to build another stand. These would take place.

1. Gas manifold..I would hard pipe it. But this is just for eye candy. What I have now works great..so its just a matter of option.

2. Gas valves..this is one thing that I WOULD change to NEEDLE VALVES. Tne gas valves work okay..But I think the needle valves would work even better.

3. If I didn't hard pipe the gas manifold, then I would lower the manifold down maybe another 4 or 5 inches. The pipe still gets a little hot at its current position. I might make the change when I get around to it..but at the moment..well its staying where its at.

4. Pump mount...would weld a mounting plate of some type on the stand for the pump to sit on or attach too.

The size, shape, color, etc...all work great for me. If another stand were to be built again. I would build it the same size...

Dammit. For the last few months I've been planing on building a rig that looks almost exactly like this! So at some point you'll see a very similar rig on HBT, except I plan on adding an additional tier. I even almost bought that very same welder last week.

Thank you very much for posting all of this, I've been trying to convince my wife that I can learn to weld and that I can construct this. Your post gave her the confidence to give me the go ahead.

I have a question about the welder specifically. I have 120 VAC@ 15 Amps or a dryer 220 VAC @30 amps. Do I have enough power here use that welder and get good welds? What settings did you use to get your welds? Welding has been something I've been dying to learn how to do. Goes hand in hand with my automated brewery :)

Thank you very much for posting all of this, I've been trying to convince my wife that I can learn to weld and that I can construct this. Your post gave her the confidence to give me the go ahead.

I have a question about the welder specifically. I have 120 VAC@ 15 Amps or a dryer 220 VAC @30 amps. Do I have enough power here use that welder and get good welds? What settings did you use to get your welds? Welding has been something I've been dying to learn how to do. Goes hand in hand with my automated brewery :)

I never had any issues with my wife. I guess I lucked out. :)
Once you get the hang of it..Its really pretty easy. Just practice on a few pieces of tubing before hand..

As for the welds on this machine. I never had any problems what so ever about them not producing a great quality weld. Mind you I'm not an expert by any means. The welder had enough "juice" to melt the steel. You could even burn (melt) holes through the tubing in a matter of seconds if not careful.

I attached several pics of the welder. It has a setup guide inside the housing for the wire and settings for the different type of steel used.

Also I ran it on just a reg. household outlet.
I hope this helps out?

012-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

Normally I don't have problems convincing her since shes a brewer too, but there is a higher risk here than my normal schemes. Heat, UV, High current, fire, risk of hundreds of lbs of hot water crashing down.... You know. I'm a design engineer so I have no doubt that I can weld, but I've been doing the reading not her. Plus my buddy is a welder.But thanks again for all your posts!

Those pictures help a lot, I'm going to start CADing tonight!

shes a brewer too

Lucky man you! My wife doesn't want anything to do with my brewing at all!
Oh well... But if it was wine, I'm sure it would be a different story. I haven't gotten into the wine part just yet...

No problem on the photos. Good luck on your build!

Thanks Guys!

Bought the SS lines from here. Took about a week to get.

Direct link to item: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/0590000

next time I am going to buy the 3/8 ones from here.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#lp-gas-hose/=6a3e4k

The 1/2" SS hose you bought, does it have 1/2" NPT fittings on each end? I am thinking about the same hoses for my rig. I would prefer the 3/8" that you linked to in McMaster but they are not rated for high pressure as I have a 0-30 PSI reg.

The 1/2" SS hose you bought, does it have 1/2" NPT fittings on each end? I am thinking about the same hoses for my rig. I would prefer the 3/8" that you linked to in McMaster but they are not rated for high pressure as I have a 0-30 PSI reg.

You are right about the McMaster ones not being HP. I just read that they are only listed for a maximum pressure of 0.5 psi @ 72° F.

Yes, the SS ones are 1/2" NPT. Before I even ordered them. I sent the company selling them a email asking the same question.

Here are some photos. Hopefully this helps you out.

001-7.jpg

005-6.jpg

That brass hex bushing is NPT to NPT right? You have that screwed onto the orifice fitting, which is flare.

--
Josh

Just relized I made the mistake on the first photo. Here is a corrected version. The 1/2 to 3/8 hex bushing goes into the 1/2 flare adapter, which then goes into the female end of the gas line.

I tried to not use the flare adapter and just connect the hex bushing to the hose. But for some reason it didnt fit. So the adapter was used. Which does come with the gas lines.

001-8.jpg

I used some pipe dope.

Dude, be careful!

Brazing dissimilar threads together is one thing, but relying on rectorseal (especially for high pressure) seems like a time bomb. I'm no expert, but thread sealant is just not made for sealing dissimilar threads, and will undoubtedly leak in the future.

The gas hookup between the valve and orifice was a sticking point for my build as well. Here's a description of the connections I ended up with (mine is low pressure btw):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-brew-system-brutus-10-some-nice-modifications-172927/index4.html#post2019660

--
Josh

The gas hookup between the valve and orifice was a sticking point for my build as well.

Yeah, it is a problem. I would of liked to use 3/8 but everything I looked at was rated for low pressure.
I dont like the fact about all the connections. A simple orifice to hose would be ideal. The other end would just be the gas valve, adapter then hose.

I used the dope pipe for piece of mind..But everything fits tight.

Im still looking around at different hoses. But I just might go ahead and hard pipe it (over time). As I indicated in one of the changes I might do. (If I ever do it)

Thanks for your concern. I believe that the homebrew community is such a great place. We all enjoy each others efforts and look out for the other..but the best part is the BREW!

Luckily for me morebeer has special orifices for my burners that terminate with 1/4" MPT instead of flare so I can easily use NPT threads without need for flare to NPT adpaters.

Not nearly as pretty as yours, but being my first welding adventure, I am very proud. Thank you for your tools/parts/dimensions list, and inspiring me to take this on. Still more to do, but nice to see it taking shape.

Please forgive the mess........

30576_420444206390_715781390_5710418_5909333_n.jpg

29147_420271141390_715781390_5707162_1344334_n.jpg

29147_420270366390_715781390_5707143_3345510_n.jpg

Not nearly as pretty as yours, but being my first welding adventure, I am very proud. Thank you for your tools/parts/dimensions list, and inspiring me to take this on. Still more to do, but nice to see it taking shape.

Please forgive the mess........

Looking great! I would be proud also...as I was with mine.

How's that welder doing?

Back