Weird Pet Things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here watching TV drinking a beer, girlfriend is already in bed (has work in the morning), so it's up to me to take care of the cat. He's only 3-5 months old (too lazy to count right now).

He does this really weird thing: he will nuzzle up to a blanket and suck on it like he's nursing. And it's only this one blanket that my girlfriend has had since college and rarely washes.

Anyone else have weird pet habits?

Yep, one of four month old kittens does that with my bath rug. It's normal. Generalized, it means they were removed from their mother to early.

My dog eats rocks. Yep, real rocks, actually seeks them out & will swallow them. Try to take one away from him & he'll gulp it down so you can't get it. He also loves to eat cabbage. He'll come running if he hears the squeak of cabbage leaves being pulled from the head & beg till he gets some. He's a good dog though & we love him.
Regards, GF.

My dog likes to sleep with her legs in the air, but only during the fall/winter months...

ForumRunner_20130629_041939.png

My dog (an 11 yr old American Eskimo) started to hump his sleeping pillow about 2 yrs ago. He was fixed when he was young. This is full on mounting of the pillow. I ignore it but its a bit embarrassing when I have company over and when my GF's 2 1/2 year old imitates him.

My dog takes her food out of her dish just to eat on the carpet and she also licks the carpet. My wife says she is a lesbian.

Our cat acts alot like a dog as far coming to me when called and meeting me at the door in when I get home from work. She only does these things for me though, she's seems to ignore or dislike everyone else unless she's in the car for some reason. Then she loves my three year old son who she usually actually hates...

Never get a flame point Siamese unless you want to hear meowing 24-7. Most Siamese are vocal. Flame points have over 100 vocalizations.

He chews on my fingers and attacks my feet every night. He also built himself a nest of odd socks and slippers under the bed.

image.jpg

My dog wakes me up in the morning by bringing me things he knows he shouldn't have. He's gone from keys to table lamps, kitchen chairs, and a couple times he's gotten a chef's knife from the knife block. I got up real quick for the knife.

Hah that's a new one.

My old dog (RIP) would somehow separate the two types of dog food (like and dark brown) in his mouth. He didn't like the light brown pieces and they would be strewn all over the floor, without a single dark brown piece left.

We've a cat that steals things and puts them where he hides. At first it was hair scrunches. Then it was nail files. He has since added bottle caps and any other small object he finds.

And we've a dog that likes to drink from glasses. When she sees a glass, she tries and tries to get at it. Doesn't matter what's in it. It's a people glass, she wants it.

My cousins German Shepherd will not chase sticks or tennis balls, but will go bats*it crazy over rocks. She will pick up a rock carry it to you to be thrown. If you do not throw it she will bark annoyingly. Her teeth are in terrible shape as a result. Poor dog also turns out to be allergic to everything. Good dog though.

My 6-year old male tuxedo cat will lay upside on his back with his legs splayed out in the middle of the living room at night while we're watching TV. He does this nearly every night, and usually falls asleep in that position and snores. We call it his "yoga".

we feed the dog at the same time as we have dinner. once she'd done gobbling her kibble, if she's still hungry (AKA always), she'll grab her food bowl in her mouth, walk over to the dinning area where we are sitting, and flip the bowl in the air. the resulting bang from the crashing noise (the bowl is metal) is quite annoying, like a big cymbal. she is clearly trying to get our attention and point out the grave injustice that is her empty food bowl. only solution is to take the bowl away.

she also loves to eat charcoal (the natural stuff, not the chemical-soaked briquette)

My old border collie would eat almost anything. Dirty tissues from the trash, bars of soap from inside the shower tub, but one time, and the funniest was a whole bowl of aluminum foil covered chocolate eggs. He removed all the aluminum from the chocolate and left the wrappings on the ground.

My puppy has a thing for eating mulch. She knows she isn't supposed to, so she'll grab some and hide it in her cheek like she's taking a dip, then wait until she thinks no one is looking to munch on it.

My other dog went through a mulch-eating phase, until one time he thought he was picking up a piece of mulch and grabbed a turd out of the yard. You could actually see the "heeeey, wait a minute..."-look of realization on his face, and he spit it back out. He didn't mess with the mulch much after that.

I had a dog that would sort its food, if there were 3 different color/flavor/shape pieces. it would eat all of one then all of the second, and finally all of the 3rd.

A friend of mine had a dog that would not ride in his Model T because it was not air conditioned. So he put a generator in the back of it of the the T, removed the back window, and installed a house window air conditioner, which he powered with the generator, then his little dog would hop in and go to McDonalds with him for its cheeseburger

About a month ago, as we were watching TV, my wife reminded me I needed to change the furnace filter, which requires me going out the back door to the outside cellar entrance. Apparently, somehow, our 2 yo border collie/pit bull mix, knows the words "furnace filter" because as I got up a few minutes later to go change it, she ran out the door, and went directly to the cellar entrance, tail wagging 90 mph. I went down into the cellar, followed by the dog, changed the filter, and came up to go back in the house, and she followed the whole time.

First time she's ever wanted to go in the cellar.

sweetcell said:
we feed the dog at the same time as we have dinner. once she'd done gobbling her kibble, if she's still hungry (AKA always), she'll grab her food bowl in her mouth, walk over to the dinning area where we are sitting, and flip the bowl in the air. the resulting bang from the crashing noise (the bowl is metal) is quite annoying, like a big cymbal. she is clearly trying to get our attention and point out the grave injustice that is her empty food bowl. only solution is to take the bowl away.

she also loves to eat charcoal (the natural stuff, not the chemical-soaked briquette)

My dog used to carry his water bowl, then dump it out. I got him a different kind that's too hard for him to carry. Also, he eats every meal from a Kong Wobbler and LOVES it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ALMW0M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Lab (Steve) likes to drink out of the bath faucet. He jumps in the tub and waits for someone to come by and turn it on for him.

Our cat (Gary) bullies Steve all the time. Starts with some nice licks then chomps on him. Stupid dog just runs away, never fights back.

Steve like all Labs loves food. The only thing he doesn't like is celery, it just bounces off his tongue.

Our 8 year old golden retriever (Wanda) loves to be scratched. If you ignore her she will flip your hand with her snout until you scratch her. If you continue to ignore her she will chase her tail until she grabs it, then awkwardly continue to circle around until she either gets dizzy or tired and sits down in the grass where she will growl and chew on her tail. She doesn't really chew on her tail but sort of "gums" it. This will usually end with her going into full on back scratching mode on the grass with all four feet/legs kicking in the air. That part actually looks like fun. The odd thing is she only started this tail chasing thing within the last year or so.

Our (now long gone) dog would eat anything... except green peas. She would get dinner left overs each night, and each morning her dish would be clean. Until the night she got tuna casserole with peas. In the morning her bowl was full of perfectly clean green peas. As clean as they had come out of the can, but not a single one was broken open.

My wife reuses a plasic solo cup to rinse after brushing her teeth, but while she's in the shower the cat jumps up on the bathroom counter and steals the cup, chews on it for a minute and leaves it on the floor. Hair-ties are also subject to cat-theft

We have a cat that eats potato chips and cashews she also drinks beer. My macaw will drink beer (I don't let him have much) he won't eat oranges,carrots, green beans he'll crush them in his beak and drink the juice when he's done it's almost like they're dehydrated.

My dog eats rocks. Yep, real rocks, actually seeks them out & will swallow them. Try to take one away from him & he'll gulp it down so you can't get it. .

Careful with that one. I had a Collie that did that all the time. Thought it was weird but harmless. Til one got lodged in his lower intestine. Over a thousand dollars in vet bills later (surgery etc.) and the poor bastard still died. Young dog too, maybe 3 years old. Shame.

I have a labrador retriever. You can shoot shotguns over his head all day and he is happy to hear it because that means he gets to do work, but the minute there is a thunderstorm he slinks around scared to death of his own shadow. Pretty sure he can feel the pressure change and knows when its coming because he lets us know with his body language and his need to be close to us....wierdo

We have a cat that eats potato chips and cashews she also drinks beer. My macaw will drink beer (I don't let him have much) he won't eat oranges,carrots, green beans he'll crush them in his beak and drink the juice when he's done it's almost like they're dehydrated.

In college my roomate got a iguana. The thing seemed to like me so he would hang out on my shoulder while I wateched TV. He would walk down my arm and drink my beer or bourbon. When he started getting cold and I would put him back in his tank he would be leaning at about 45 degrees. He was a mean drunk though.

I had a cat once that loved to play in water coming out of a faucet. When he heard the sound of running water he would come running. I had a barbecue once for some friends in the back yard. One of my guests needed to use the bathroom, so he went into the apartment. Unfortunately he didn't latch the door so well... The cat heard the sound of running water, and came tearing down the hall and slammed into the door to open it. Needless to say, my friend was rather surprised.

Back