Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
As I continue searching thru the mass of items I got from Bbeerme, I happened upon a Refractometer. It is Brix only it looks like, which is ok cause it is an easy conversion from that to Gravity. I am new to this and it has a sticker on the side of the box that says SR32ATC. A google search has come up empty, at least in my limited internet ability. LOL. I tried it with plain water and it read 0 on the scale. I used it in conjunction with my Hydrometer and that seemed to match up. My reason for post is two fold. First off, I cannot find any type of adjustment for calibration, but wondering why it would need that? It is just a sight glass with a scale on it. Also, the ATC part tells me it adjusts to temps, which could be helpful in the future as I rely more on it during the boil. I cannot find a brand or manufacturer name on it, so that is about all I have. It is really cool and will help me not to have to dump a whole hydrometer worth of wort just to check mass gravity during the process.

Also, Bbeerme was kind enough to include a PH meter. I had to get batteries for it, so I will be checking that soon as well. I emailed the company and they said that model has not bee in production for about 15 year. So it is an antique LOL. Anyway, just sitting having my coffee and wondering about this and anything anybody can help me out with.

Oops, one more thing. I spent the afternoon yesterday cleaning 5 of the 11 kegs he gave me. Nothing more productive than sitting watching my homemade keg washer doing it's think while enjoying a beer or three. LOL. And I told my wife just how busy I was. LOL Rock On!!!!!!!!!

I tried it with plain water and it read 0 on the scale.

Cool. It's calibrated.

First off, I cannot find any type of adjustment for calibration, but wondering why it would need that? It is just a sight glass with a scale on it.

Look for a screw or knob (probably unmarked) on the shaft, near the business (prism) end. It's not just a sight glass with a scale on it. There's a prism inside there.

Also, the ATC part tells me it adjusts to temps, which could be helpful in the future as I rely more on it during the boil.

The ATC compensates for the refractometer itself being at various temps. It does not compensate for the sample being at various temps. Some will say that the wort sample cools so fast that it doesn't matter. That's not been my experience.

It is Brix only it looks like, which is ok cause it is an easy conversion from that to Gravity.

Be sure to use a refractometer calculator, and not a regular brix to SG conversion formula. For the OG, a wort correction factor is needed. For the FG, it's even more complicated, and requires the use of the original brix reading and the final brix reading together. A refractomter calculator makes this easy. A regular brix to SG formula makes "My Fermentation Is Stuck At 1.030" posts.

Nothing more productive than sitting watching my homemade keg washer doing it's think while enjoying a beer or three. LOL. And I told my wife just how busy I was. LOL Rock On!!!!!!!!!
This was my favorite part about "tending" the propane smoker... I'd basically just sit in front of it with a beer, and occasionally adjust the regulator or add more wood chips. 😁

Look for a screw or knob (probably unmarked) on the shaft, near the business (prism) end. It's not just a sight glass with a scale on it. There's a prism inside there.
I'll point out that sometimes it just looks like a button... not knurled or anything. There could be a smooth cap that you need to remove in order to access the screw.

Cool. It's calibrated.

The ATC compensates for the refractometer itself being at various temps. It does not compensate for the sample being at various temps. Some will say that the wort sample cools so fast that it doesn't matter. That's not been my experience.

Be sure to use a refractometer calculator, and not a regular brix to SG conversion formula. For the OG, a wort correction factor is needed. For the FG, it's even more complicated, and requires the use of the original brix reading and the final brix reading together. A refractomter calculator makes this easy. A regular brix to SG formula makes "My Fermentation Is Stuck At 1.030" posts.
That is good to know. I knew that once the wort is fermented there is a more complicated formula. Not ready to give up my hydrometer quite yet. But this is a cool item that was in one of the boxes, so might as well try and figure it out. LOL.

On to the PH meter. I have the batteries, so might play with it a bit. I have a Chevy 327 to freshen up and redo all the gaskets on, so that is going to be my main forcus for now. Rock On!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back