Weird growth in tap spout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcatbrewing42

Reaction score
I have been using a used Tru Keggerator for about 6 months. It is great but there is always something new to learn. I was getting a musty off-flavor for the first couple of ounces each time that I poured if it sat for a few hours. Then the beer started to spray out of the spout instead of pour. This morning there was a tube shaped extrusion coming out of one of the spouts. It is a mold colony shaped like a tube that was gradually filling in the opening.
I used a wire cleaner to get out what I could from both spouts and started to take the assembly apart, which is not so easy. There is either some trick to it or the threads have corroded. I don't know how many years old this is. (bought used by my kids as a gift)

What is the most aggressive cleaner that I can run though the system? I have some brewers cleaner that is Sodium Hydroxide based that rips through organic compounds (including skin). Would PBW be strong enough to eat mold? Others?

Clean it w/ BLC. If the spouts are mounted using a round knurled nut w/ small holes around it get a tap wrench and it will make it easier to remove. If it's really stuck you might need some WD-40.
I'd take everything apart and clean thoroughly w/ B-Brite, rinse well, & run StarSan throughout the system.

Beer residue in taps will inevitably invite wild bugs to grow. I'd recommend soaking the tap and lines in starsan or equivalent sanitizer to kill those uninvited guests.

Latest posts

Back