Honey Yeast Isolation Refined

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
I’ve been quiet as of late because I got lost in the yeast lab I built. In the past, I’ve isolated yeast from honey, but this time I’m taking it quite a bit further. I’m purifying everything to a single strain of yeast and banking it forever. Eventually, I want to start my own Meadery with the isolated strain(s).

The goal is to have my own personal “mead yeast” that actually comes from honey. The catch: this yeast has to be stellar. It has to give body, ferment clean and enhance aroma. While I’m wishing, I would like a low and high ABV yeast as well.

I’m trying a more hardcore approach this time and though I would document my findings here for those of you wishing to embark on a epic journey such as this. I’ve refined my technique to make things less complicated (still complicated though), streamlined and efficient.

Growing Microbes
First, you need honey. In my case, I’ve amassed 14 different varietal honeys. I’m attempting to isolate yeast from all of them. I designate them A-N. Then, I do the following:

1. Add 1 ml of honey plus 4 ml of water to a 15 ml tube using aseptic technique. If you don’t know aseptic technique involving a flame, flame loop and petri plates, YouTube is your friend.
2. Cap and vortex tube until fully mixed.
3. Take a gravity reading to determine SG with a refractometer.
4. Adjust SG with water to fall into the 1.070-1.090 range.
5. Cap the tubes and incubate at 70 F for 1-4 weeks. Some grow quickly, some slow and some not at all.
6. Once you see a small pellet in the bottom of the tube, it’s time to go to the next section.
Pro tip: Document the smell of the mead at this point. You want to compare it to the pure strain later. Don’t smell anything with black mold however.

Microbe Isolation
1. Begin by analyzing all the tubes for fuzzy growth on top of the mead. If you see a substantial amount, it is best to use a sterilized flame loop to grab and discard this. It is filamentous fungi and not the yeast you are after. It will also contaminate what you are going for.
2. Get your flame loop red hot and plunge it to the bottom of the tube. Try to swirl the pellet gently. Then remove the loop without touching the sides.
Note: Since the loop is red hot when it hits the surface, you reduce contamination from the floaters. It’s cooled by the time you hit the pellet.
3. Streak using the quadrant method (again, YouTube) on both YPD plates and MEA + 0.01% chloramphenicol. You can just do YPD if you want, but I’m trying both.
4. Incubate plates upside down at 70 F until you see growth. This can be a day or a month.
5. Once you see growth, it will likely be a mixture of yeast, filamentous fungi, Staphylococcus, Pediococcus, and other nasties. The goal now is to isolate only the yeast.

Pure Yeast Isolation
1. First, you need to know what a yeast looks like on a Petri dish. Generally, the colonies are white to off white, round, shiny, smooth colonies that appear to grow on top of the agar. Avoid Fuzzy, black (mold), green (penicillium/Psuedomonas), red (Serratia), yellow (Staphylococcus) and growing into the agar (filamentous fungi) type colonies.
2. Find a well isolated colony and restreak it on a new plate.
3. Incubate at 70 F for 1-2 days.
4. Check to see if the plate looks like all one type of colony. If not, repeat steps 2-4 until it breeds true. This can sometimes happen on the first restreak or it may take ten.
5. You now have a single strain of yeast. Now for the real test. Is it any good?
IMG_5797.JPG

Yeast Example 1
IMG_5798.JPG

Yeast Example 2

Mead Yeast Testing
Now the fun part. What do your new isolates taste like in mead? First, we start with an 8% ABV mead as some yeast have trouble past this, then we test how high it can go. Since I’m testing so many, I’ve developed a micro scale test as follows:
1. To a 50 ml tube, add 40 mg of Fermaid O, 5 ml honey, 35 ml spring water.
2. Vortex until homogeneous and take a refractometer reading.
3. Using a sterilized flame loop, add a loop full of your yeast isolate.
4. Incubate at 70 F until the mead goes dry (<1.000) or the yeast gives up. Sometime the yeast is unable to ferment this gravity, so you will have to dilute with water. There is a lot of variability here so expect surprises.
5. Since this is done in a 50 ml tube, we centrifuge it at 6000 rpm for 15 minutes to pellet the yeast.
6. Decant the mead into an evaluation glass for testing.
IMG_5799.JPG

Micro Mead Test

At this point, it’s either good, bad, or ugly. Winning yeast that are pleasing go to the next step.

Mead Yeast Characterization
If you are establishing a a new house yeast, you need to at least know a few basics such as the following:
1. ABV tolerance: Inoculate must at 1.080, 1.100, 1.120, and 1.140. Go higher or lower as needed.
2. Temperature: Try 65, 70, 75 F as a start and taste the meads to determine the best. Refine as needed once you have a ballpark range.
3. Nutrient Requirements: Try low, medium and high level of Fermaid O/ YAN and taste test the resulting mead.
Many more things can be characterized, but this is the core to start with.

So what success rate to expect? Out of 14 honeys, I got 4 plates with true yeast, 5 plates of filamentous fungi, 1 plate of black mold and 4 blank plates. Of those 4 yeast, perhaps 1 will be good enough to use. The testing is still ongoing. I’ll keep you posted here!

From other sources I've read, about 1 in 10 isolates are suitable for use on their own.

That's for beer though. I'd expect a higher percentage for mead since there's no phenolic precursors.

Once I have a large enough sample size, I’ll do the statistics on it. I suspect honey has its own selection (meaning the yeast have to be strong enough to survive it). Presumably, that would lead to cleaner yeast, but I suspect there are more variables than that. We will see!

Loveofrose, While it looks relatively simple (ha ha) to isolate yeast from other microbes, how do you know that you are isolating a single strain of yeast in each sample you are growing? If there are several different strains then as you cultivate those colonies why won't yeasts with different needs and different characteristics dominate in ways that the early cultures may behave very differently from more mature cultures and what you liked about the youthful cultures may no longer be present as the cultures reproduce over time in all kinds of skewed ways? Don't you need the ability to identify different strains genetically so that you know you have isolated single strains? Why is that not an issue?

The entire basis of microbiology is streaking for isolating. This is something that has been proven with genetic testing for a very long time. I didn’t invent this, I was trained how to use it. The idea is that repetitive streaking from a well isolated colony generates a pure strain (since each colony stems from 1 yeast cell). Multiple passages ensure this to be so. Once you have a pure strain, they maintain their genetic identity unless they are pressured to adapt. Petri dishes are essentially yeast paradise, so selection is at a minimum. In addition, long term storage methods avoid metabolism in general, so no genetic selection can be performed.

Youth and age of yeast cultures is not as relevant in a culturing environment as 1 yeast is trillions and can be propagated forever with only normal genetic drift due to optimal conditions. Some genetic drift is inevitable due to the fact that replication has an error rate (albeit extremely low), but the chances of this having a perceived effect is extremely low. Basically, the way you treat your fermentation has far more effect than genetic drift. Once a selective pressure is added such as a must fermentation, then all bets are off. This is why we typically don’t recommend reusing yeast from high ABV ferments. (Note: An argument could be made that this selection could improve the yeast if done properly.)

But I guess I need to press you Loveofrose. Since you are starting with colonies of unknown variance how do you determine simply by streaking that you are picking up the same strain? If the honey has 20 different strains what makes you certain that any one streak picks up only one strain. Don't all Sacch c. yeast look very similar under the microscope? If you mixed a batch of five lab cultured yeast how would you KNOW that you are streaking, say, only DVD 10 and not 71B unless you analyze their chromosomes.. So here you are dealing with yeast in vivo. How do you KNOW that all the yeast in a streak belong to the same strain?

Multiple strains presumably are streaked onto the plate.

The process of streaking spreads individual cells across the plate via serial dilution.
The first image I can see the left side of the plate is where he streaked first because the colonies are closer together. The right side is where he streaked last since colonies are further apart; that would be the best area to select a colony.

It's the use of a single colony from the plate that results in isolation (because the colony is formed from a single cell). Each colony may be a different strain.

Hope this makes sense

No worries Bernard. I love the genuine questions you are asking. Peer review is always a good thing as you understand.

Let us back up. Let’s say the honey has 5 strains of yeast. I streak for isolation 1 time and pick a single colony. Only, let’s play devils advocate and say it was actually 3 types of yeast making that colony. Unlikely, but not impossible. We streak round 2 and now there are 2 strains. Then round 3 we get 1. After 5 passages, the likelyhood we have an impure strain is very small. That is how streaking for isolation works. It works very well historically as well.

BUT! If I find a strain that does exactly what I want, I will genetically analyze it’s ribosomal DNA to determine the exact strain of yeast it is. After that, I will genetically barcode and patent it for my use only. It is a simple thing for me to do!

Ah.. I never realized that by multiple streaking you could home in on what is essentially a single strain. always happy to learn and am always skeptical that every answer is always the right one. Much more confident that it is when the answer captures the problem that undergirds the question. Thanks Loveofrose. Always appreciate your thoughtful responses ... and your work.

For the folks that need examples:
IMG_5814.JPG

Wyeast 1388 control

IMG_5813.JPG

Yeast Isolate A

IMG_5815.JPG

White Filamentous Fungi

IMG_5816.JPG

Black Mold

IMG_5817.JPG

As a testament to the antimicrobial properties of honey, half my plates are blank like this.

A little taste of my lab!

From this batch, 3 isolates are pure enough to make mead. They are inoculated already, but it takes time on the first round. I’ll update on the first tasting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to share!

I've heard that most yeast is introduced into honey during collecting and processing. Any thoughts on this?

It’s hard to say. Yeast can originate from anything a bee pollinates, the hive location or the human harvesting it. The real question is does the yeast that survives in bee hives make better mead. I tend to think the selection process of surviving a honey hive would make the yeast more suitable, but until I have 50 isolates to test side by side...hard to say. If nothing else, I’ll have my own bank of unique yeast.

It’s hard to say. Yeast can originate from anything a bee pollinates, the hive location or the human harvesting it. The real question is does the yeast that survives in bee hives make better mead. I tend to think the selection process of surviving a honey hive would make the yeast more suitable, but until I have 50 isolates to test side by side...hard to say. If nothing else, I’ll have my own bank of unique yeast.
Is there any easy way to determine if it is a brettanomices strain or not?

@loveofrose
Do you buy YPD plates somewhere or do you make them yourself? I'd rather buy them unless it's a lot cheap to make them.

Any updates on this project?

Is there any easy way to determine if it is a brettanomices strain or not?
Some labs will do genetic sequencing for a fee.

This is awesome. I use to isolate mushroom strains years ago and this is the same approach. Makes me want to build a laminar flowhood again and get my feet wet with yeast isolation.

This is a fun science project! On your page you mentioned a strain you isolated in the past that smelled like honey while sitting in the dish, how has that one turned out?

I’m up to 12 yeast strains that are suitable for mead (out 50 or so). It is an ongoing project that is constantly running. I will continue until I feel I have enough diversity in flavor profiles.

The diversity is already pretty cool. ABV tolerance ranges from 4-16%. I’ve got clean strains, eatery, funky and everything in between. I’m still looking for a strain with honey and lots of body.

I’m up to 12 yeast strains that are suitable for mead (out 50 or so). It is an ongoing project that is constantly running. I will continue until I feel I have enough diversity in flavor profiles.

The diversity is already pretty cool. ABV tolerance ranges from 4-16%. I’ve got clean strains, eatery, funky and everything in between. I’m still looking for a strain with honey and lots of body.

Wow, a strain that reliably crabs out at 4abv? That would be so cool to have for session meads :)

Do you pour your own YPD plates or do you buy them? I'm looking to get some.

I’ve been buying these on Amazon. I do pour my own specialty plates, but these are easy!

Malt Extract Agar with 0.01 Percent Chloramphenicol, for The Cultivation of Fungi, Inhibits Bacteria, Deep Fill, 15x100mm Plate, Order by The Package of 10, by Hardy Diagnostics

What's the point? If I'm making adult beverages I want them stronger than that even if I make beer.
Austin Eascider's Honey cider is 5% ABV, and you have to be an adult to buy it. Of course, it's not a whole lot different than apple juice, and if you backsweeten it that's exactly what it tastes like.

Still, I think the same thing using honey rather than cider would probably taste better. And then I could drink more of it!

Austin Eascider's Honey cider is 5% ABV, and you have to be an adult to buy it. Of course, it's not a whole lot different than apple juice, and if you backsweeten it that's exactly what it tastes like.

Still, I think the same thing using honey rather than cider would probably taste better. And then I could drink more of it!

Cider is supposed to taste like apples. Duh. At 6.5% ABV and kegged my ciders are drinkable like beer, refreshing on a hot summer day with BBQ on the deck. My cysers are 13% and get served in wine glasses. They'll put you away rather quickly. And to be a properly done cyser, you'd damn well better be able to taste the apples. And the honey. Not easy to achieve.

Back