Watered Down Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BStewie

Reaction score
So this was my first batch of beer and I followed the instructions pretty well. I am in the second day of fermentation and since then I have read several chapters and much research to help grow my knowledge of brewing. I know the mistake I have made and will not repeat it, but I believe that my wort was not boiled enough hence an OG of approx. 1.033 for an IPA.

My question, since I believe that I have not boiled my wort enough, but I am in day two of fermentation, is there anything I can do to fix this and produce a better quality product, or should I just chalk this one up to a learning experience and watered down beer for the next week?

What was your recipe? Was this a partial boil (less than 5 gallons)? If it was an extract kit and you ended up with the proper amount in the fermentor your OG is fine. It is very difficult to accurately measure the OG of concentrated wort with water added.

Not boiled enough? The recipe should have told you how long to boil, probably 60 minutes. Are you saying you didn't boil for 60 minutes? When did you add your hop additions if you didn't do a 60 min boil??

Anyway, at this point, if you go ahead and ferment this one out, you'll still make beer. It'll still have a little bit of alcohol and still taste like beer, so definitely just keep the course, finish it up, drink it, and learn for your next batch!

It was a beginner kit. The instructions said boil for 10 min, but it was the same insturction for all types of beer. I Figured I boiled the wort for 45 min, based on what I read out of the brewers bible. There was no hops to be added. It was a malt extrat along with a dried malt extrat in place of dextrose. I am going to use 2.5 lbs of dextrose in the bottling process.

I also now understand that I need to be more descriptive when describing my process. Its like saying I cooked a steak for 2 minutes... what type of steak, how hot, etc...

I agree with helibrewer.

If this was an extract batch, and you used all the ingredients and the final volume was correct as stated in the recipe then the beer is fine. It can just be difficult if not impossible to get an accurate SG reading in wort topped with water.

I am going to use 2.5 lbs of dextrose in the bottling process....

I recommend that you do NOT use 2.5 lbs of dextrose during bottling, but if you do, please...... take video. Time lapse or motion detection preferred.

:rockin:

BStewie said:
It was a beginner kit. The instructions said boil for 10 min, but it was the same insturction for all types of beer. I Figured I boiled the wort for 45 min, based on what I read out of the brewers bible. There was no hops to be added. It was a malt extrat along with a dried malt extrat in place of dextrose. I am going to use 2.5 lbs of dextrose in the bottling process.

I also now understand that I need to be more descriptive when describing my process. Its like saying I cooked a steak for 2 minutes... what type of steak, how hot, etc...

For the love of god do not use 2.5 lbs of dextrose when you bottle

most can kits are low gravity so your probably spot on even if it was labeled as an IPA.
It best NOT to boil pre-hopped extract for more than 10-20 minutes, it can do weird things with flavor.

2.5lbs is way, way too much, insanely too much sugar for bottling

I recommend that you do NOT use 2.5 lbs of dextrose during bottling, but if you do, please...... take video. Time lapse or motion detection preferred.

and don't forget full body armor and eye protection

What do you suggest I use in place of Dextrose. I was under the impressions that the yeast has to eat while its in the bottle for a few weeks to carbonate it. I know to throw in the fridge to kill the yeast and stop the process when I am ready.

Edit: Beat again.

You can use the dextrose just not in the quantity your mentioned. ~1oz per gallon.

If you were to put 2.5# of dextrose as a primer and then put that into bottles they would over pressurize and probably explode. Bottle bombs.

Good call then folks, I was planning on using all that dextrose for the beer. I will be using inbetween 5 to 6 oz. now.

For the pre-hopped extract kit the boiling would only be to kill any bacteria that might have been introduced.

What hasn't been mentioned is that if you bottle using 2.5 lbs of sugar you will make bottle bombs. The co2 pressure will be more than the bottles can handle and they will explode sending shards of glass flying!

Here is a calculator you can use to determine how much sugar to use:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

There are others online.

edit: Bottle bombs were mentioned while I typed.

kh54s10 said:
For the pre-hopped extract kit the boiling would only be to kill any bacteria that might have been introduced.

What hasn't been mentioned is that if you bottle using 2.5 lbs of sugar you will make bottle bombs. The co2 pressure will be more than the bottles can handle and they will explode sending shards of glass flying!

Here is a calculator you can use to determine how much sugar to use:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

There are others online.

A little behind are we? :p

I am betting the 2.5lbs of DME were to add dying the boil. That would explain the low OG.

I am betting the 2.5lbs of DME were to add dying the boil. That would explain the low OG.

The orginal recipe was 1 lbs of dextrose to be added to the wort and 1.5 lbs of dextrose for bottling, but instead of dextrose I used 1lb dried malt extrat, and was told to use the dextrose to bottle.

Yeah, I was sketched out the other night after what I read online along with what I read in a book. Gld I asked before I started to bottle.

Mr. Beer recipe instructions are so much better than the instructions that you got with your kit.
Maybe they meant to use a portion of it to bottle?

I think we may have just saved you from hurting yourself very badly. Be glad you asked.

And read this book:
http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

gcdowd said:
Dextrose is not DME. Totally different

Well aware. I just forgot which was mentioned and given we were discussing 2.5 lbs DME was the more logical choice. Plus you can't see the thread when you hit reply on the iPhone app.

Back