Water profile help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenUK

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210803-073209_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Need a little help getting my water to a usable state and I don't really know what I'm looking at here.
I know its extremely heavy water. Camden tablets will lower the chlorine but other than that I don't know if this even workable. Also. I can do 50/50 with destilled to half the amounts.

I could use some expert advice. I'm looking for a good IPA water profile.

That water report doesn't really help with brewing, it's more about water safety for drinking. You need a report that shows Calcium, Sulphate, Chloride, Sodium, Magnesium and alkalinity (or bicarbonate).

That's a shame. That's the full report. The other pages are different areas.
Destilled water it is then.

They don't supply my area. Its no worry. I will use bottled water and go from there.
Afaik Sainsbury's has a pretty low alkalinity water. Its house brand, don't remember if it was the sparkling or still version, have a look on a lable and use the one with the lowest bicarbonate number. If memory serves me well, it was something around 30 ppm. Only available in 2l bottles and not the big 5l ones as far as I remember.

I think Tesco also has decent water, even in 5l bottles. Tesco house brand.

Nice. Yeah I'm probably just going to do that and add a little of irish moss for my ipa.
My tap water is destroying my beer. I not long moved to Kent and the same kit I used before and loved tastes awful here.
Anyway... Thanks for ya time guys.

Nice. Yeah I'm probably just going to do that and add a little of irish moss for my ipa.
My tap water is destroying my beer. I not long moved to Kent and the same kit I used before and loved tastes awful here.
Anyway... Thanks for ya time guys.
If you are struggling with a high alcalinity, which is actually quite normal in the South of UK, an easy quick and dirty fix is just to add 2% of the Grist's weight as acidulated malt. No rocket science, but it works. I did that when I was living in Thatcham with a water hardness beyond good and evil. Made perfect stouts though! The acidulated malt is only needed for pale beers. Dark beers are acidic enough themselves.

That's a shame. That's the full report. The other pages are different areas.

I am not sure about your supplier, but when I reached out to my local water company they got back in contact and provided a source for detailed monthly testing. I have heard of some water companies that have a "homebrewer report" that they will provide to the brewers that contact them. Seems at least worth a call/email/message/tweet.

I am not sure about your supplier, but when I reached out to my local water company they got back in contact and provided a source for detailed monthly testing. I have heard of some water companies that have a "homebrewer report" that they will provide to the brewers that contact them. Seems at least worth a call/email/message/tweet.
Will give it a go. Thanks đź‘Ť

Definitely contact the water utility and speak with the water quality lab. They probably have the info you want. If you can't get through to them, I'm betting that there are homebrewers in your area that are knowledgible on the local water and they can tell you those typical ion levels in the local water. If you can't find those people, you can always send off a sample to Murphy's for testing.

Latest posts

Back