Additions to RO water for a "generic" water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrondaleBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all -- thus far I've been using bottled spring water to do my all-grain brewing as my tap water is noticeably chlorinated. I could use campden tablets to clean this up but since I do small batches I just find using bottled water quicker/easier.

I do, however, have an RO system in my brewing space so I'd like to start using RO water, but I was wondering what people would suggest adding to RO water for a more or less "generic" water profile?

To put it another way, if I'm happy using bottled spring water and don't yet want to worry about really dialing the water profile in by style, what's some good general stuff to add to RO water to make it work well (or at least as well as bottled water) for all-grain brewing?

This will probably wind up being my gateway drug to doing more with water profiles, but figured I'd start simple. :)

Thanks for any suggestions and experiences people can share!

from Water Chemistry – How to Build Your Water – Bertus Brewery (formatted for easier skimming)

So how do I start building my water, I’ve seen brewing water calculators online, they look very complicated?
Assuming your source water isn’t off-the-charts hard, post-RO, it’ll be relatively devoid of minerals (remember 9 to 1 reduction). For the basic style of beer, [author will] simply:
  • Add 1tsp of calcium chloride per 5 gallons of water
  • Add 2% acidulated malt to my grain bill (typically between 3 and 5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch.
That’s it.

But don’t different beer styles require different water?
Yes, that’s correct.
  • Roasty beers (stouts, porters), [author will] skip the acidulated malt.
  • Hoppy syles (APA, IPA, IIPA), [author will] also add 1tsp of gypsum
  • Soft water beers (Czech Pils), [author will] cut the calcium chloride down to 1/2tsp
  • British styles, [author will] double the calcum chloride, and add 1tsp of gypsum

Strong's books (Brew Better Beer, Modern Homebrew Recipes) have a similar approach.

There is a Water Primer thread in this forum and it provides some general salt additions for brewing. Those are reasonable additions, but they don’t necessarily provide perfect guidance.

Visit the Bru’n Water website and read the Water Knowledge page to gain a better understanding of brewing water treatment and why you’re doing them.

Back