Water chillers for fermentation control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaus88

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my fermentation vessel soon to a 14 gal conical. I would really like to avoid having to buy a bigger fridge just to house this thing for fermentation. I have been looking at using a water chiller to flow through a cooling coil inside the vessel. While this should work with 80% of the beer I brew, I am unsure how well it would do with lagering beer.

Has anyone had any experience cooling with water coolers? Will it cool down to 40 degrees okay?

I've been using this cooling coil with an Inkbird and small submersible pump in an ice bath for my 5 gallon batches for the last few weeks. It works great for those. I've done two ales at 65 F and a lager at 52 F in my place and it has been a hot summer. I got my lager as cool as 45 F by insulating my fermenter with a blanket, but it would not go below that with ice water. It's probably not big enough for a 14 gallon fermenter, but maybe they can customize something for you with a larger coil. I had to work with them on my stopper size and they were very responsive.

I've been using this cooling coil with an Inkbird and small submersible pump in an ice bath for my 5 gallon batches for the last few weeks. It works great for those. I've done two ales at 65 F and a lager at 52 F in my place and it has been a hot summer. I got my lager as cool as 45 F by insulating my fermenter with a blanket, but it would not go below that with ice water. It's probably not big enough for a 14 gallon fermenter, but maybe they can customize something for you with a larger coil. I had to work with them on my stopper size and they were very responsive.
I have been using these as well and I can vouch for its effectiveness.

Back