Water chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivalry15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my two 7 gallon ssbrewtech fermenters hooked up to a large igloo cooler with the pumps in it. It works great but the only hassle is having to change out the ice bottles a few times again. While that isn't too big of a problem, it's not ideal for summer months when it's hot indoors and I'm not home or away for a few days.

My question is that I saw this aquarium cooler on Amazon and I'm wondering if it will be enough to cool the tank of water that the ftss pumps are in.
I am not looking to go to any extreme temps, just keep the water cool enough to keep my fermentation temp in line.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048IVBT4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks!
This is my current setup:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462214460.291667.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same aquarium chiller for my 7 gallon and 14 gallon SS Brewtech and it works perfect.

Just recently I wired the internal portion of the aquarium chiller to always be on and I added an Inkbird temp controller to turn the aquarium chiller on and off along with a pump that I have that pumps the water through the chiller (not the same pumps for the SS brewtech coils). The temp probe from the inkbird temp controller is monitoring the water temp in the cooler (as opposed to the aquarium chiller only monitoring the water temp in it's tiny built in reservoir). Since wiring up this way, I can crank the temps down to below 30 degrees (with glycol added to the water).

Oh ok, so it only monitors the water that is in the chiller itself. How well did it work before you re-wired it? I wanna keep the cooler water around 45-50 degrees. Also, what size pump did you get? The 40 or 160 gph?

Thanks again!

Back