Washing WLP029 Yeast question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratrules

Reaction score
OK so i have washed yeast before but this is my first time washing this kolsch yeast normally i get layers that i can clearly see. but with this yeast i can't see the distinct layers so i don't know what to dump out. here is a pic

IMG_20110913_153141.jpg

Also there seems to be a layer of Krausen on top as if it were fermenting again. i never had that happen before. when washing other yeast!! so should i just wait see if layers form or what should i do??

OK so here's where i stand after leaving it all night in the fridge.
IMG_20110914_095409.jpg

so i think am going to skim off that top yeast dump that layer of beer and rewash the trub. if anybody has any feed back please I'd love to here it.

I personally would decant the wort and divide up the slurry/trub and store in the fridge.

My first washing attempts were basically dividing up the yeast cake in the primary into 6 half pint mason jars. Not so much really washing.

I had very good results with that method and the yeast kept for almost 6 months that way. I since now truly wash the yeast similar to the method I believe you were trying.

I know but i like to save it and i just make starters as needed. so i can get at least 2 more brews from the same yeast. i also have some of it saved in my yeast bank!! but i never had this happen to when i washed other types of yeast. i know all yeast acts different. so am going to rewash it and is what i get.

I personally would decant the wort and divide up the slurry/trub and store in the fridge.

My first washing attempts were basically dividing up the yeast cake in the primary into 6 half pint mason jars. Not so much really washing.

I had very good results with that method and the yeast kept for almost 6 months that way. I since now truly wash the yeast similar to the method I believe you were trying.

i was thinking of doing that also!!

Yeast washing involves using acid to kill bacteria. If you are not doing that (and I don't), you might as well do as stated above and just bottle the cake, yeast and trub and all.

Acid washing yeast is one method of washing yeast. from what i know most people just use sterile water to wash there yeast and are very successful at it i myself have use washed using distilled water and produce some very good brews with it. maybe acid washing is a better method!! but i have had good results with the water method.

Acid wash gets rid of bacteria primarily. Washing with water gets rid of trub.

Maybe wash that again with more water to get better separation.

Just found this thread. I have harvested 029 once before and had a distinct layer of yeast. This time I have a ton of yeast/trub (maybe a qt and a half)but no evident layer of yeast. I guess I will save a half pint or so and see what happens unless somene has a better idea.

I did the same thing just save the whole trub. What I do is just pour some off to make a starter. It works really well I've done three brews this way. So just pour a few ounces into some wort put in on my stir plate and let go from there.

I've now had mine in the refrigerator for over 48 hours and still no notable line. I am just going to save some and pitch it into a starter when I need it.

Back