Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you go into a beer store and feel shame from having to drink "store bought" beer instead of your own.

When you go out to dinner with SWMBO and she orders a steak and you say "I could brew the **** out of that"

When you look into the fridge at work and everyone elses brown bags are food and yours is the yeast you bought at Northern over lunch

When you go to your 4 year olds birthday party and the women working the counter recognizes you from your Home Brew Club

bambam190 said:
When you go into a beer store and feel shame from having to drink "store bought" beer instead of yours

I at least justify it by getting bottled beer. I called it building your empty collection.

Ever bought a beer just to reuse the bottle? I am guilty of that.

You know what SWMBO stands for and snicker to your self when ever you see it written

milldoggy said:
Ever bought a beer just to reuse the bottle? I am guilty of that.

I buy Newcastle just so I can bottle one beer from each batch in a clear bottle for display.

I was watching iron chef and wondering how fast their big a$$ burner would bring 5 gal to boil and how many gallons the big kettle I saw in the background was.

I wonder if using "5.2 stabilizer" in your coffee brewing water would increase your efficiency?

When your giving away bottles on craigslist, because your too polite to tell every friend/co-worker who brings you bottles that you have too many already.

The Amish use rinsed egg shells under the coffee to take the harsh acid hit out of the coffee. Great filter bed in the bottom of the filter,so is that single decoction?

HH60gunner said:
When your giving away bottles on craigslist, because your too polite to tell every friend/co-worker who brings you bottles that you have too many already.

I had a woman bring me 260 1.5 liter wine bottles, it filled my whole truck bed. I took them to the recycle center and only kept 90 or so. She said that was about a years worth and she had more if I needed them.

You know you're addicted when, in the "warning signs of homebrew addiction" thread, every 2nd or 3rd post is yours

Every now and then, you have to figure how to drink or giveaway several gallons of beer, because you need room for the next batch and there is no way in hell that you will pour it down the drain.

No matter what it is your pouring, you start with a 45 degree tilt then level it out

::shifts eyes towards unionrdr:: Hehe! =P

Who...? Me?...(polishes halo)...naaah,couldn't be me,no not me...You know you're becoming addicted when your comp room is also your man cave. You also know you're addicted when you start noticing others are addicted. Especially so when you love hop aromas coming out of the airlock next to you...wait a tick...damn you Beevis,you just got me describing myself! ...& God,I know,..I'm one! And the oooonly tiiime,that he's satisfied,is wheeeen he's home brewing...Well,there is,a house,in Sheffield,...they call White Cougar Brewry...(cue Frigid Pink music).

You make your first batch then decide "Hey, this is fun. The store is still open." and go make batch #2 the same day.

Damn it. i'm hooked.

You know your addicted when your brother asks you to be his photographer at his 3rd degree black belt test (a pretty big thing) and you agree, only to realize later that you now have a scheduling conflict with your homebrew brewers guild meeting and hope the test is canceled or delayed.

You know your addicted when you know you have to be at the above said test at 2pm, and at 1:35 pm you're pitching yeast into your freshly brewed ale and hope you can rush across town to make it in time..

You know you're addicted when your husband has to put his foot down and refuse to brew outside with the heat index being 115+....so you decide to build a mash tun instead.

unionrdr said:
And the oooonly tiiime,that he's satisfied,is wheeeen he's home brewing...

This is starting to sound like a there's homebrew "beast" brewing inside...is this "he" the being in us all that drives the addiction? "He" made me do it....."Brew for me, he said...so I did...". "HE thirsts for it....". .....He puppeteers our thoughts...He only wants us to think of him. Our lives around us are blurred by the constant mental drive to carry out his directive.....Brew. Drink. Brew. (Repeat) Lord help us all...we can't escape this monster! Once you've tasted upon the nectar of the beast.....you're in........for life. ......it owns you.

You know your addicted when your brother asks you to be his photographer at his 3rd degree black belt test (a pretty big thing) and you agree, only to realize later that you now have a scheduling conflict with your homebrew brewers guild meeting and hope the test is canceled or delayed.

No!!! If you schedule something at the same time as your homebrew meeting, then you are obviously NOT addicted!

You know you're addicted when you have brewing supplies taking up space in the freezer,fridge,& pantry. Then go looking for better boxes to put your bottles/brews in...& the fan is keeping your fermenter cool,while you swelter.

You see a commercial with a woman talking about "yeast infection cream," and wonder if your local home brew shop carries it.

You see a commercial with a woman talking about "yeast infection cream," and wonder if your local home brew shop carries it.

Or you think that if she had followed good sanitation practices, with StarSan, she never would have gotten the infection to start with. Or you wonder if StarSan could kill that... :eek:

Just because someone said they liked it so much....

ForumRunner_20110724_211812.jpg

Latest posts

Back