Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the first thing you do when you get home is check on your carboys....then go see SWMBO and the kids.

When the first thing you do when you get home is check on your carboys....then go see SWMBO and the kids.

That's only because the freezer is in the garage. If they were standing in front of the freezer when I got home, then there wouldn't be a problem.

When you have more beer fermenting pictures on your phone then your family, or the first picture you show off is your first beer....

robm184 said:
When you have more beer fermenting pictures on your phone then your family, or the first picture you show off is your first beer....

That's ok, id rather see pictures of beer and beer related things than someone else's kids. No offense.

When your photobucket is starting to be taken over by beer related pics instead of your latest tuner car or family pics.

When you are reading an article on Mythology, and suddenly realise that Baphomet / Hades / Pan would be great names for a Belgian Golden Strong Ale.

You then order the ingredients for the Belgian Golden Strong Ale, because you just HAVE to name it Baphomet's Belgian Golden Strong Ale.

When you have a hard time sleeping at night, because you can't stop thinking abut what you are going to brew next.

I need to know how you know and what church this is.

I am brewing beer in our Church Kitchen tonight with men from Church (A going away brew for a fella who's moving out of state, i'll be sending him his six'er later on). Not all Churches are pro-prohibition. In fact, since the large majority of my Church is Russian you will hardly find a church event/gathering that does not have Vodka floating around somewhere.

When the compressor goes out in the fridge/freezer in your garage after a long hot summer, and you have to get rid of it, but for a couple of days, you seriously consider keeping it because "Maybe it's still cool enough to ferment ales in" ...

When people come into the house & see your brewing equipment,& all those boxes of bottles,& give you a quizzical look. Yeah,I wish they were all full. And no,it doesn't cost a lot....

You take a vacation day just to brew. (I wasn't going to have time during the weekend, and my pipeline was in jeopardy.)

You have a pipeline.

You rationalize your brewing decision to others.

This made me laugh

You know you're addicted when:

You haven't even received your last HBS order and you are already putting in another order.

What about sleeping with your fermenting / ageing brews? Would that make me addicted? Picture this twin size mattress on a solid platform for a king size. Is the only room in the house with ac.... plus the bubbling helps put me to sleep...... guess Im an addict, when is the next meeting?

I can't say I read all 35 pages, but holy **** 99% of these are me, and the only ones that aren't me are the ones about kids as I don't have kids yet. I'm brewing my second Lambic today that I'll put part on cherries for a Kriek, part bottle as is, part bottle with last year's and next year's Lambic for a Gueuze.

1. You've made a spreadsheet based on the almanac to calculate the average seasonal temperatures in your area to ferment year round.
2. You've said "f**k that" and now own three full sized fridges with Ranco's permanently attached to two of them.
3. You've haggled with the LHBS to get you a better deal on 5 gallon buckets of PBW

This happened to me yesterday -

I have no central AC in my house, just a little window AC in my bedroom and another in the guest bedroom(where my beers are currently fermenting). It was a hot one yesterday, and the AC in the guest bedroom with my fermenting beer went out. I moved the working AC from my bedroom to the fermentation room to keep my temps steady. Meanwhile, I slept in the heat. So apparently I'm more concerned with my yeast being comfortable than myself being comfortable.

Did this the other day, and while removing the windows I broke one and a 1/2" piece of shattered glass stuck about 1/4" into the palm of my hand. SWMBO (who used to be a nurse) mentioned that I needed to hit the ER to get stitches or steri's. I washed it out, slapped 4 band-aids on it and installed my AC while it bled through ;). It eventually stopped bleeding and I replaced the band-aids. It's knit up pretty well now after I dug the rest of the glass out that night :p.

Beer. It's important.

when you spent 3 hours milling 4.5Kg of grain with nothing more then just a 60 year old hand coffee grinder 1/4 cup at a time!!

Having only been brewing 2 months, buying 5 carboys, upgrading to a 15 gallon kettle, a fridge, getting a freezer as well, buying a stir plate, 20# CO2 tank, 4 kegs, and everything required to keg, now planning a jockey box, and a temp controller build.

Talking to wife ad nauseum about what I'm doing and what it means, and what's to come without her understanding or really even caring (except how much money I have spent). Full disclosure has not occurred. :)

All of this for my most preferred beverage. BEER

You wake up from a dream about brewing beer to the stark realization that you don't have time to build a fermentation controller before you'll have a chance to get back into brewing all-grain, then go into panic mode and research commercial controllers in an attempt to provide some form of control until you can get yours built, then realize that's not an ideal situation, then draw up a schematic and a parts list and order all of the components from three different electronics suppliers, then after all the parts are ordered, realized you forgot a 50-cent part that you can't add to the orders because they've been placed already. All by 7am.

When your wife is sick & you're still wanting her to brew her next batch. And you go out for some craft beer & sit on here anyway.

you have a flashlight in the bathroom so when you wake up at 3am to take a leak you check your fermenting chambers temps.
and if something is wrong you stay up till you straighten it out.

Last weekend while fishing I saw two nasty-a$$ looking pop-top beer bottles in the brush... I took them with me - not to make the sight cleaner... but to clean them and store them for further batches I'll need to bottle... now that's recycling!!! Also...

-your friends keep their bottles for you - and bring them to you
-your friends don't question why you constantly have said bottles bouncing up and down in a sink of water to soak the labels off
-you keep your empty carboy out in plain sight in the kitchen
-no one questions why you have a flask
-your homebrewing book collection is starting to kick out your cookbook collection
-and speaking of said books, a stack of them lies on one's nightstand for some right-before-bed perusing ;)

When you're saving up for brewing sculptures and a kegging set-up even though you haven't been able to afford a honeymoon despite being married for 9 months. :cross:

Back