Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get a glint in your eye when you spy a keg... Even though you have no use for it (13.3 gallon) you buy it anyway. Because "eventually" you'll be able to use it...

When at work, home, family members place, etc. you talk about brewing, what you've got in the works, or what's on deck, pretty much all the time.

When asked what you want for holdiay/b-day/etc, it's all brew related, or a gift CC so that you can get brewing supplies.

When you see "mash" on a menu and automatically think of a recipe you'll be brewing, or just made.

There's more... It's only an issue if YOU think it's one. :rockin:

Brew on... :ban:

Just reading the news online, the headline abbreviates Attorney General to AG and I immediately think "all grain".

When your coworker says, "you have a problem" because every time he walks by you're on this site researching stuff.

When you gladly buy the wife her dream fridge, because your fermentation fridge crapped out. (One big enough that you also get the old chest freezer and she buys you everything to convert it to a Keezer :))

Bob

You see a pontoon boat and count the ways to put a keg icebox on it.

SWMBO asks if a trashcan is for beer or trash.

Both happened in a 10 minute span.

You see a pontoon boat and count the ways to put a keg icebox on it.

SWMBO asks if a trashcan is for beer or trash.

Both happened in a 10 minute span.

When everyones basements were flooding around us, I started to think of ways to add pontoons to the table where my fermenters are sitting. Basement will be flooded, but the fermentor barge would be floating along.

When you wind up with 9oz of hop packets in the freezer,15 of your beers in the fridge 3 days before the holiday to get through chill haze,& a big bag of DME's,Maltodextrin,2.5lbs of Dextrose,another pound of DME,etc in the pantry. Not counting a large corner of the study that's turning into a man cave with computer,many boxes of cleaned empty bottles,fermenter stand,etc.
She's starting to complain,so I got her some ingredients for another ale she can do!:ban:

Probably a high number of posts,pretty much means-its all you think about-mostly.

I would say 1000 and you are pretty much screwed! We still love you and appreciate you!

Actually 4001 means you are offically addicted :)

Figures... :D :tank::drunk:

I have many of the other signs too... I put BeerSmith onto my laptop (and tablet) so that I can work on recipes anywhere/anytime (also have it on my main desktop/tower)... I'm often thinking about what I'll be making next, and then after that, and after that, and after that, etc... :D

At least the addiction has some good benefits to it... :rockin:

When you routinely scrounge through the heaps of metal at the junkyard because you know there is a shiny piece of metal in there that would make a perfect homemade conical:ban:

I was reading the sports section in the newspaper the other day, and there was a picture of Brian Wilson (pitcher on the SF giants, not the Beach Boy) slamming the water cooler in the clubhouse with a bat after getting pulled from the game. All I could think was : "that SOB is ruining a perfectly good mash tun!!!!!!!!!"

Also when you start buying stuff so both you & the missus can brew at the same time. Then start buying things to keep the temp of your FV more comfortable than yourself.

When the SWMBO says "You know you're never going to drink all of these", but she has that lying face.

When you arrange a "guys night" with your father, to discuss the construction of a brewing cellar in his new house.

You spend half your work day trolling craigslist for "beermaking" "beer making" "home brew" and "brewing supplies".

And when you finally realize that Google Ads in your browser are 90% homebrew related.

When you wake up in the middle of the night singing "In the vortex...of your starter, you shall did yeast!" Then laugh maniacally and say "In yeast we trust" before drifting back into a dream about brewing, you know you are hooked!

When you wake up in the middle of the night to take a squirt (probably after a night of drinking homebrew) and you can't fall back asleep because you're too busy planning your next brew day in your head.

You realize that you like the spent grain treats more than you dog.Hmmm maybe a little dried apricot for bite?

When you wake up at 2am with the sudden realization that you forgot to throw your starter in the fridge for crashing it before tomorrow's brewday, so you run downstairs in your underwear, grab the starter off the stirplate, and throw it in the fridge in the garage hoping it'll crash enough yeast before noon.

When you are torn between going to the brew club meeting, or going home to check on your 4 day old fermenting beer that you have not seen since you pitched the yeast.

When you are torn between going to the brew club meeting, or going home to check on your 4 day old fermenting beer that you have not seen since you pitched the yeast.

IMO, no contest... If you're concerned about the brew, check on it... But, you'll reach a point that you'll know (from that morning) that the brew is doing well, and you can RDWHAHB and go to the meeting... :rockin:

How about you're really only considering jobs where the climate is more suited to brewing the styles you want (without needing to get/make a fermentation chamber). Or you look at apartments/houses to see how friendly they'll be to your brewing... :rockin:

Or you select a tablet based more on which brewing software will run on it, and the selection available to the platform. I did this recently, selecting a tablet (10.1" Acer) that runs Windows so that I can run BeerSmith on it, and easily shift recipes from my home system to it.

Of course, if your DropBox directories are populated with things related to brewing, you could be addicted (raises hand)... :D

....when you have 12 kegs in the serving keezer, 6 kegs full of beer waiting for slots in same keezer, 20 gallons fermenting, and you have plans to brew again soon.

When your Pick 3 number is 001 and your pick four number is 1056 then you know you have a problem!

When you go on vacation with 4 brewing books and your brew log; spent hours finalizing your next recipe and even more hours on HBT!

When you goto your bookmarks folder,click on home brewing folder,& it takes a few moments to scroll all the way to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back