Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you spend a part of your day off organizing the beer fridge...and still keep a shelf for the sister in law

ForumRunner_20111128_151817.jpg

On thanksgiving my wife handed me the potatoes and said "Mash these", and my first thought was "what temp and for how long". If I had actually said that I might have gotten smacked.

When you think about beer and brewing 23 hours 59 mibs and 30 seconds a day. The other 30 seconds you think about sex. In those 30 seconds a woman passes you by and you say to yourself , "hey that's a nice set of" that reminds me I have two "cans" of beer at home to drink. Thats it back to thinking about beer and brewing. The same applies to those of us who also make wine. "That's a nice" that reminds me I need to "rack" my wine.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Home Brew Talk

If your wife has no idea how much beer you have on hand but is upset when you are brewing because she thinks you have too much... "I only have 25 gallons, I am running low"

When you only brewed your first batch two weeks ago and I'm almost ready to start another batch... And I haven't even tried mine yet. And I've read all of the posts on this thread a little over 25hrs of registering.

You're addicted to homebrew when normally you're not a morning person and hit snooze several times, but when you have a new batch in the fermenter you hop straight out of bed the first time your alarm goes off so you can check on it.

You're addicted to homebrew when normally you're not a morning person and hit snooze several times, but when you have a new batch in the fermenter you hop straight out of bed the first time your alarm goes off so you can check on it.

Guilty a million times over. Whether it's checking to make sure I didn't lose the "blow off tube or airlock" gamble and paint the ceiling krausen colored, or usually just swap out some ice bottles in mah' swamp cooler. Normally I throw alarm clocks across the room or take swings at whoever tries to wake me up. Hah.

You walk to the basement at 3am to make sure your stir plate is still running properly. (Guilty last night)

You have your entire water table numbers memorized when you go to use Palmer's spreadsheet. Also guilty.

paulster2626 said:
Every day I remind my pregnant wife that she really isn't helping clear out bottles for the next batches that are waiting to get packaged. I tell her that it's hard work for a husband - "I'm drinking for two".

Haha awesome

You get up at 3:00 AM to brew before work.

You have a sleeping bag in your brew cave for dozing between hop additions when you decide to start brewing at 11:00 pm.

You fit 8 sanke kegs, four corney kegs, and three carboys you scored from craigslist, with three passengers into a 2008 Honda Accord (people driving by thought we were the party gods. I will likley never be any cooler than at that moment).

You make a powerpoint slide of your brew cave layout so that you can plan on how you are going to rearrange it like a wife rearranging the furniture.

You begin to lecture people about the evils of Budweiser/Coors and then get their email address so that you can send them a link of to Beer Wars.

You run 20+ miles a week and workout an additional 6 hours a week so you can justify drinking at the rate you do.

You sit in a new church and wonder if anyone there likes to brew/drink beer.

You beersit a friend's primaries and secondaries while he is away on vacation.

You buy a six pack of beer from a small microbrew that happened to be in the same location as your 4th graders field trip you were chaperoning (it was in a plastic bag and I didn't open one until we were on the bus headed home so don't judge me).

J8D said:
(it was in a plastic bag and I didn't open one until we were on the bus headed home so don't judge me).

That right there is some funny stuff. Glad I stuck in there till the end

So did the bus have a cupholder or did you have to stick the beer between your legs when you changed gears?

They had picked a student of the day (based on her birthday being that day) so she became the designated beer holder. I will probably make her wear a helmet next time. Little kids suck at reacting to break checks.

When you get featured on your works internal website because they interviewed you about your homebrewing. And now every time you meet someone they say "Hey, you're the beer guy."

When your at the hospital with your wife in labor about to deliver your baby and a wheelchair goes by with an O2 bottle on it and you immediately think "man i could aerate a LOT of wort with a bottle that big!"

When you wake up at 430am thinking about brewing, get on your tablet to enter some figures on your latest brew you forgot to the night before. Then create another recipe based on what you have in stock and call in sick to brew that day.....hope I can get a little more sleep.

When your wife tells you that you've been drinking too much IPA simply by taking a whiff of your hop-bomb farts.... and you chuckle and say, 'yep!'

Hunter

you sit on the toilet so long at work, reading recipes and this thread, that your legs go to sleep.

you have a great sense of pride knowing that you started this thread.

you are very saddened because you are going to your friends to help him brew his batch, because you cannot brew at your own house because you lost it in a fire on thanksgiving day, but you did save your fermenter with your week old irish red in it.

i am blessed that my family and myself were unharmed and we did salvage many of our belongings.

VaBrewer said:
+1 to that!

Hahaha! Hilarious! I just got my 2tap Kegerator up and running. Still carbing first 2 kegs and I'm already getting excited about kicking one so I can get my oatmeal stout on tap.

MileHighHops said:
You go to a party with the hopes of convincing everyone drinking out of a dark pop top bottle to leave their empties next to the sink for you to collect at the end of the night

Haha! +1. I've got about 4-5 different friends with houses that save bottles for me. I hook them up with some beer and get free bottles. They're always proud of how many they collected.

During the winter months, your driveway is a frozen skating rink with layers of hop and cold break matter underneath the ice from your chilling runoff.

When you soak,rinse,& scrub your fermenters 3 or 4 times to make sure it's clean & sanitized before drying it off & storing.:drunk:

When you soak,rinse,& scrub your fermenters 3 or 4 times to make sure it's clean & sanitized before drying it off & storing.:drunk:

or when you have 4 carboys and after cleaning & sanitizing they almost never get to dry before getting filled again :mug:

When you buy a buddy a starter kit for Christmas, but you're debating on whether or not to just brew up the BB ingredient kit you got to go with it yourself.

When you buy a more beer kit for Xmas but include a revised recipe and instructions for proper yeast pitching rates.

When you calculate the grist-to-water ratio of your oatmeal in the morning.

Back