WARNING: Beer making in progress...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_Swillery

Reaction score
My second attempt at AG - first one ended up in rave reviews. Not sure how that happened but I'll take what I can get.

Attempt at Magic Hat #9 Clone

Recipe roughly followed the North American Clone Brews book:

Total grain bill: 9 lbs 10 oz
Maris Otter - 8 lbs 12 oz
Crystal 60L - 8 oz
White Wheat - 6 oz
Tettnang 3.2% AA - 1.55 oz @ 60 min
Cascade 5% AA - .25 oz @ 15 min
Williamette 3.8% AA - .25 oz @ 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient @ 15 min

Wyeast American Ale 1056, Activator

Grain temp at start 74.5 F. - Mashed in at 171, ended up being too high so far. 1.5 qt/# mash - ended up high so added some ice cubes and brought it down to 154 F at the 20 min mark. My digital thermometer must be giving me fits or it "found" a cool spot because at the 40 min mark it had already dropped to 149F. I boiled 1 qt of water and added it in. I had been stirring every 20 min anyway. At 45 min mark had temp back up to 152.4 then raised the probe higher and found I was at 157F. I gave it a THOROUGH stir and still at 157. So, mash temp high - I'll live with it. Total mash time will be 90 min - just about there. Setting up my Phil's sparger right now and will be taking a first runnings gravity soon...

113 min into session - stuck sparge (already) at 108 but stopped, recirculated 2.25 qt, and back in business. Still waiting for first runnings to cool for gravity...

Oh... running sparge a bit slower this time... LOL

Second running graving was 1.031 corrected...

OG is 1.049 @ 6.5 gallons... looking good so far...

Boiling well and first edition of hops in... Boil has settled down.

Ok... all done, yeast is pitched and looking good. 6 hrs from the time my feet hit the floor when my alarm went off. Better than last time... abt 9 hours. LOL I under estimated evaporation and rate as I ended up with 4.5-4.75 gal of pitched wort... and that was after adding around a quart, quart and a half during the boil. I'll have to go back and check my numbers. Still, no big deal. I overshot my OG by 0.003 points but I hit the color pretty close. It tastes like the IBU's are close also...

OG/Preboil - 1.049
SG - 1.058
Estimated SRM: 11

Its in the basement, pitched and a ready to ferment.

Back