warmer lagering using California Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nianticcardplayer

Homebrewing Since 2009
Reaction score
Hello All;

Quick question have done a couple of lagers (one each the last two winters, I know should do two at a time), and I am looking at trying the Killians Irish Red clone from Austin Homebrew, and one thing that I know is that I can't get things cold enough long enough to maintain the necessary temps for using the Americal Lager yeast that is suggested. I however could easily maintain 57-60 ish range on the concrete floor in my basement, listed temperature ranger up to 65 for the California Lager yeasts.

Anyone ever use the California Lager yeast strains from either white labs or wyeast. If so how have the beverages faired out and what temps did you ferment at?.....

Thanks in advance.

When making a steam beer, lagering technique is up to the brewer. Some do it, some don't, and some lager around 55 degrees or so. I've done all three techniques with good results and can't say I have a huge preference one way or another.

I've used both Wyeast and White's yeast for steam beers and like them both. I ferment them around 60.

I accidentally used White San Fran Lager for a pilsner this winter -- left it at 50 degrees for two weeks before I noticed my mistake. But then a week at 60 and a month of lagering later, best pilsner I've ever had.

I strongly recommend a keg bucket with water up to the level of your wort, then use frozen water bottles changed out regularly. You can keep the temp below 50 with regular change outs. If you can keep it below 50 for active fermentation, then what you do after that is less significant as the yeast will have less impact on the beer. Then, bottle lager it.

It isn't as difficult as it seems.

Do not ferment White Labs 810 (San Fran) or Wyeast 2112 (Cali Common) at 50 degrees. These strains are designed to make steam beers and are not bred to ferment at traditional lager temps. Below 55 these yeasts will just sit there and barely do anything. 60-65 degrees is fine.

As I just said, I accidentally used 2112 (I said 810 in my earlier posts, but I just checked my records -- it was actually 2112) at 50 degrees this winter and after two weeks (with a very thin krausen layer and the airlock bubbling every 5 seconds) the gravity had only dropped about 20 points. Once the temp was raised to 60 fermentation went normally and the resulting beer was awesome.

From Wyeast's website about 2112:

"This strain is particularly well suited for producing California Common-style beers. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation."

Steam beers have a really interesting history. Read up on the style while yours is fermenting.

Cyclman said:
I strongly recommend a keg bucket with water up to the level of your wort, then use frozen water bottles changed out regularly. You can keep the temp below 50 with regular change outs. If you can keep it below 50 for active fermentation, then what you do after that is less significant as the yeast will have less impact on the beer. Then, bottle lager it.

It isn't as difficult as it seems.

I just started a batch using 2112 a week ago and fermented it at 60F - 62F... It is also my first brew. How do you bottle lager? Just keep it in the fridge?

I just started a batch using 2112 a week ago and fermented it at 60F - 62F... It is also my first brew. How do you bottle lager? Just keep it in the fridge?

Bottle it at room temp, carbonate for a couple of weeks, then refrigerate. Great yeast you should be happy.

bethebrew said:
Bottle it at room temp, carbonate for a couple of weeks, then refrigerate. Great yeast you should be happy.

Awesome, thanks! Yea, I'm excited... Its starting to smell a bit fruity but I'm hoping that tames with these next 4 weeks...

Thanks for the information everyone I am looking at doing the AHS Killians with this and even though I know it won't be a true "Oktoberfest" I may do up a Marzen styled beer with this....

P.S. Is a D-Rest needed with this yeast? If so what temp is it done at ?

Thanks for the information everyone I am looking at doing the AHS Killians with this and even though I know it won't be a true "Oktoberfest" I may do up a Marzen styled beer with this....

P.S. Is a D-Rest needed with this yeast? If so what temp is it done at ?

What temp are you fermenting at?

I would be holding the 59-60 range without an issue any cooler would be hard to maintain consistently

At that temp, there should be no need for a d rest. The yeast will be plenty active without one. FWIW, that yeast doesn't produce anything much like a lager, but you will likely get a tasty beer anyway.

A bit late to the thread, but I'm planning to use the White Labs 810 strand for my next batch. I can control temps to about 63-65 degrees (I live in Florida) using swamp water/ice pack method. I have a kegerator that maintains 39 degrees. My question is: shall I primary for 2 weeks at 63 degrees, then just keg for month as my "secondary?" It seems like this yeast will go dormant if I rack to a secondary in a carboy and stick it in the kegerator anyway.

Thoughts?

Back