Lager yeast fermentation not starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miro sep

Reaction score
Brewed a Czech Budvar lager batch (5 gallons) and split chilled wort (45F) into two kegs for fermentation in my fridge with controlled temperetaure. Bothe kegs were treated exactly same (oxygen, wort had yeast nutrient). Pitched identical one White Labs WLP802 Czech Budelovice lager yeast into each keg. Both are from the same batch (best before July 15, 2023). Set my temp controller to 50F. After two days opened both kegs and only one has kreusen, the other nothing. I increased the temperature to 53F and confirmed both kegs with a temperature probe submerged into the wort.

I have used this fementation method many times wiothout a problem. I will wait another day before taking th enext steps, Thinking of combining the two kegs into one as the fermentation with lager yeast att the cool temps do not appearto be a potential issue with excessive foaming and clogging the gas post. Any thoughts ?

I wouldn't go by visual clues alone. I've seen some beers that had virtually no evidence of kraeusen and some the had lots. And both being similar recipes. Yet they all reached the expected FG.

Same thing for bubbles whether seen in the beer while in the FV or the airlock.

So let your hydrometer or refractometer be the one that tells you if something happened or not.

And if the SG hasn't changed from what your actual OG was then you might have to just assume you put all the yeast in the same FV.

Last edited:
Have you used this process with lagers before, or just ales? So best before July 15, which means the yeast is from January. Per a yeast starter calculator, that would be around 56% viable, but White Labs says their Pure Pitch packs have better viability longer (in optimal conditions), so let's say 80% viable. That means each pack has about 80 billion cells. Not knowing your starting gravity, ballparking with 1.050 OG....a 1.050 2.5 gallon batch of lager needs about 175-176 billion cells for an "optimal pitch rate", so even though small batches, I would say you underpitched and are just experiencing a long lag time as the yeast needs to grow before it gets to fermenting.

OG was 1.048. Underpitching could be an issue if both fermenters had an issue-only one has a problem.

OG was 1.048. Underpitching could be an issue if both fermenters had an issue-only one has a problem.

And used this process before many timewith ales and lagers. Used straters [3 liters) with lagers. No time for a starter so two apackyeages of yest.

Last edited:
Back