Warm Lagering a Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcfontario

Reaction score
I need some guidance from the experts on this site. I am making a Kolsch style beer right now. After completing fermentation I had it in the fridge at 39 F for 3 weeks to lager, but SWMBO needed the fridge, so I had to move the beer out of the fridge and into the coolest room that I could find which was at 65 F. It has been there for 3 weeks now, so the beer has been lagering/resting for 6 weeks now. My question is, should I re-start my lagering time, assuming that the 3 weeks at 65 F didn't do anything, or does warm lagering time also count? Or, did the warm lagering likely change the character of the beer and it is now some sort of Kolsch hybrid (but still drinkable!).

Yeast settle out more slowly at higher temps than at lower temps. But the only way to know how far along toward clarity and "crispness" your beer is would be to look at it and taste it. Nobody that hasn't done that can tell you.

I’ve done the room temp layering in bottles and not a keg. It does take longer at room temps. About 8-10 weeks instead of 6. I usually start moving some to a fridge for the last couple of weeks to help shorten the process a little.
On beers like this, I will bottle a few in clear glass bottles and keep them somewhere dark. Once a week, get one or two out and you can see the yeast drop out and the top is clear. Every week you will see a larger portion of the top of the beer clear up.
Once it’s all clear, it’ll need at least 2 weeks in the fridge for that final crispness that you are looking for.

Back