"Warm" fermenting beers other than Saison....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to brewing a couple of Saisons during the hot weeks ahead and was thinking of a couple of other options for brewing this time of year. As I recall, hefeweizens are a good choice, and since I love those, I'll try a couple of varieties there, too.

Any other options? Not really looking for temperature control, but I will use a swamp cooler, if it comes to that.

What is "warm"?

I do a pretty decent "fake wit" with wb-06 at 24C. And currently doing us-05 where I start low and end up at 28C after 60 hrs, but with a controlled temp-rise though.. The first test was a success.

I have found TYB Voss Kviek to be very versatile style wise. I have used it in a black IPA, several sours, and of course saisons. It stays pretty hazy so even a NEIPA would be fun to try.

SG - Those temperatures are close to what I am working in; I'd have to check to be sure but as I recall it's right in that range.

I have a really, really nice recipe for the original Blue Moon that uses US-05; I[ve been meaning to brew that one again and just might give it a go, as well.

Thanks!

Ron

BD86 - since I've started brewing, I've been avoiding the IPAs and NEIPAs just on general principle, but after trying a few different ones and finding a couple-three that I like, it might be time to re-think that? Some sort of tropical or maybe Pina Colada idea sounds really good, right now.

Thanks for the suggestion -

Imperial A20 Citrus/WLP644 is fine up to 80. That’ll make you a passable fruity IPA.

Any of the Kveik yeasts from TYB or Omega.

Just make Saisons of all kinda and styles, try every yeast under the sun. I’ve got temp control and all I want to make is Saison.

I'm planning on brewing a NEIPA next using the Hornindal Kveik yeast. I may even throw my brew belt on it to see if I can ramp it up close to 100F!

Do it! My last batch was pitched at 80°, let it free rise, then bumped on the heat... it actually peaked at 102° which is insane. Tastes awesome though! I was at FG in less than 48 hours.

Hornindal is the only strain that have me nail polish remover ester.
Not sure where I ****ed up or if I have been sold a bad strain but it never happened with any other strain of "kveik".

Which esters did you guys got from hornindal?

Latest posts

Back