Want to upgrade. Need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
Hello! Tired of the 5 hour long day brewing a 5 gallon all grain batch using a propane burner, 2 10 gallon pots and a converted square plastic mash tun. I dont have a clue on what all in one electric brew system to get. I'm looking for the most I can get for under $500. 10 gallon all grain system with 110 volt. Thanks in advance.

I've been playing with the Brewzilla Gen 4 lately and I'm a big fan. It has increased capabilities over my 2V setup, so I don't feel like I'm making a compromise for convenience.

That said, I don't think you're gonna find a 110v system that can boil 10 gallon batches. Especially if you're concerned about length of brew day. You'll need to compromise either with going to 240v or downsizing to 5 gallon batches.

Begs the question, does an AIO system materially shorten a brew day? I don't know.

Can envision convenience on a few fronts but not so sure I'm envisioning a significant time savings.

Might get more responses to that point if you can change the title to reflect the underlying question.

Maybe like, "Did an AIO system materially shorten your brew day?"

Last edited:
I do not have an AIO system, so I'm not qualified to speak on that part. I don't know what you will find in the ~$500 range though as they all seem more expensive especially at the 10G level.

I did move from outdoor propane to indoor setup, and I can offer some things that have changed.
I moved everything to a dedicated indoor space. This saved a bit of time in the setup/tear-down, move everything from basement to garage and back. I added a sink with running hot and cold water. This saved a fair amount of time in cleaning because I didn't have hot water in the garage.
I went with a 240V electric element. I don't think 110 would do 10G, and if it did, the lag time would be too much.
I started milling and prepping everything, drawing strike water etc.. the night before. This doesn't save time, but it shifts it somewhat.
I run my electric system off of craftbeerpi, not so much automation, but I can wake up, hit the button to start heating strike water, take a shower, eat, etc.., then walk downstairs, mash in, and walk away for an hour or so until it is time to collect first runnings. I don't know that this saves time, but it really feels like my brew day "starts" when I am ready to start collecting wort.
I invested in an exchillerator counterflow chiller. It can bring 11G of boiling wort to pitching temp in ~6 minutes if I run full blast on the cold water. I think any good cooling solution will help you save some time.
I'm excited about the new addition, a dishwasher dedicated to the brewery. In re-doing the kitchen, I decided to keep my old portable dishwasher on dedicate it to the brewery. I think this will save some time in cleaning all the "small parts" at the end of the brew day.

Have you considered biting the bullet and putting in a 240V power outlet in your brew area and just install elements in the gear you already have? If you can DIY it, that may be do-able in the $500 range.

all good stuff.

in my research in the last few weeks it is apparent that 110 volts will significantly slow you down compared to 220 and the only way to get around that is with a separate heating element on a separate breaker. like a hot stick for example. that said i am referring to 5 gallons. so i dont think you could get away with 110 v for ten gallon batches but i am not speaking from experience just what i have read. i pulled the trigger on an aio cause i couldnt resist the price black Friday. its 110 v plug. i was looking at at least $1000 install for an outlet so i put that on hold for now. i only brew for myself. it will still be a huge upgrade over my stove from what i have seen online and if it comes down to a heat stick to speed up my day if needed i may look into that. also the price was a steal so if i want to upgrade i can still install 220 and go bigger and i am only out 2 bills.

goodluck with your descision

Attachments

• 1701199601683.png
    1701199601683.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Begs the question, does an AIO system materially shorten a brew day? I don't know.

Can envision convenience on a few fronts but not so sure I'm envisioning a significant time savings.

Might get more responses to that point if you can change the title to reflect the underlying question.

Maybe like, "Did an AIO system materially shorten your brew day?"
Good point. I do a lot of equipment reviews, so bounce around a fair amount between different brew rig set-ups. I've done several AIO units, as well as brewed a lot on my 2V/3V RIMS setup. I have not found AIO to make a brew day faster. But there are a lot of footnotes that go along with that. I would say my typical brew time is 5 hours from mash-in to cleanup done. Across all of my systems. But here are the footnotes with respect to time:

1. The ability to preheat your strike water based on a timer is a game changer in my mind. It allows you to do useful prep the night before with measuring hops, weighing & crushing grain, filling water into kettle(s) and adding brewing salts. Sure, you can theoretically be heating your strike water while you're doing that other stuff, but that prevents you from breaking off that chunk of your brew process and putting it "the day before brew day". And waking up and stirring in grain is where I start the clock on my "5 hour brew day".

2. Sparge is a huge variable. I think some people assume AIO = No Sparge, and therefore round in the time savings of no sparge to the category of "AIO time savings". But of course you can do BIAB with a bag, a kettle, and propane burner. So that's not unique to AIO. And my experiments have shown that when using an AIO, setting the basket up to drain while pouring 1 gallon pitcher at a time of sparge water gets me 5 - 10% improved mash efficiency that I'm not willing to give up. If your baseline is a 1-hour fly sparge, then going to a batch sparge is a time savings- whether you do that on a multi-kettle system or an AIO.

3. Mash time is mash time, whether that's in a cooler, kettle, or AIO. Wort heating if you do multi-step mash is the same, with the exception that a high power propane burner or a 240V electric system will make those steps faster than a 120V electric system. So if you do multi-step mash on a 120V system, you will have a longer brew day, not shorter.

4. You also still have to heat to a boil in every system. And as above, a 240V 5500W element vs 240V 3350W element vs 120V 1600W element vs. high-power propane burner will be different. If you're using a 120v AIO, you will likely see longer times because of this.

5. The reliability, repeatability, and safety aspects of brewing with an electric controller vs. a propane burner frees up your time DURING your brew day. I've brewed during a work day, calling in to meetings at times where I know there's not much for me to manually do. I'll take kids to school. I'll go shower, etc. The list is endless. This is a big time win for electric in any form, not just AIO. It doesn't shorten the start:finish time, but the amount of time spent dedicated to brewing is less.

6. For a lot of people, electric means indoor brewing, and those of us lucky enough means dedicated indoor brewspace. This is also a gamechanger when you don't have to haul everything inside & outside. Again, that's not unique to AIO, but is for electric.

7. AIO have very simple, lightweight "mash tuns" to clean. I always clean my mash tun while the boil (or heat to boil) is going on, so this doesn't shorten the brew day, but it's similar to the above where the stuff you have to do DURING brew day is shorter time so you can spend time doing other stuff.

I'm sure there are others that people can think of. But I would say AIO does not necessarily get you away from a "5-hour brew day".

I received (bought) a Grainfather G40 last Christmas. I will say that it is is more convenient to brew 5 or 10 gallons of beer that my prior 3 vessel propane set up, but it does not save me any considerable time from start to finish. If I mash for 60 minutes and boil for 60 minutes, it still takes around 5 hours including clean up. Having said that, I do have more free time during those 5 hours.

For example, I no longer have to worry about an open flame catching something on fire, about running out of propane mid-brewing or about the flame getting blown out on a windy day. In addition, I don't have to keep going out to the back yard to see what the current water temp. is. I can see it on my phone from inside the house. With the recirculation pump during the mash, I don't have to stir the mash every once in a while. I can even step mash without having to leave the living room as long as I set it up in the Grainfather app when I start my brew day. The only time I really need to be near the Grainfather is when I'm setting it up initially, when I mash in, when I lift the grain basket after the mash and sparge, when I add hops, when I transfer to the fermenter and when I clean up. In between those hands on steps are long periods of time where I can concentrate on other things or, frankly do nothing like watching football.

Back