Want opinions on best timing for primary, secondary and bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadamxtr

Reaction score
OK so I have read quite a bit of contradictory info about how long to leave cider in each stage. Some say they only leave the cider in primary and dont bother with secondary. Some say to wait until the bubbling stops in primary, then wait another day or 2 or 3, then transfer to secondary. Some say to leave for a couple weeks in primary after it stops bubbling before moving to secondary.

Then as for secondary, I've heard everything from a couple weeks through to a few months. I've also heard some say that leaving in secondary for too long can ruin the cider.

The for bottling again, ive heard anything from about a week through to multiple months.

If my goal is to just get the nicest tasting cider (dry, i don't mind letting the sugar all get used up), with minimal yeast flavour, minimal bitterness, made from pasteurised supermarket apple juice with no preservatives, no extra sugar added, using safcider So2 yeast, white sugar to carbonate. Keeping in a temp controlled fridge at 16 degrees C. SG 1.05.

What are the lengths of time I should keep it:
1) In primary
2) In secondary
3) Should I rack into a tertiary?
4) How long to let carbonate?
5) How long to "rest" the cider in bottles before consumption after carbonation?

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited:
Depends
On yeast, fermentation temperature, carbonation temperature, ingredients (packed apple juice vs fresh), OG etc

So you are going to get a ton of different answers and opinions.

Sorry, I see you actually specify most of the above. And since I don't use safcider etc, I'll shut up now ;)

We can only speak from our own experiences, there's no right or wrong way. For me, I ferment dry (1.000 or less, wait for no change in a week) in primary and wait for it to clear as much as it's going to. I use pectic enzyme, so that happens within 2 weeks of fermenting. Secondary for me is 3 months on oak cubes. One more rack and I start kegging. I'll often go a year and still have cider aging.

I leave my ciders in the fv until they are clear, might be a few weeks, might be a couple of months (I don't use a secondary). I then move to the bottling bucket, add priming sugar (I use table sugar simple syrup) and bottle. I will start to drink as soon as carbed, usually a couple of weeks but put some back for later. They are always better months or years later. Cheers!

Thanks Maylar. So in your experience it is worth aging it for quite a long time in secondary?
It is to me, but that's because I always have some in the pipeline. If I was thirsty, I'd start drinking right after it's clear. :inbottle:

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying, "Give me today's flesh, yesterday's bread and last year's cider".

I leave my ciders in the fv until they are clear, might be a few weeks, might be a couple of months (I don't use a secondary). I then move to the bottling bucket, add priming sugar (I use table sugar simple syrup) and bottle. I will start to drink as soon as carbed, usually a couple of weeks but put some back for later. They are always better months or years later. Cheers!
Interesting that you don't use a secondary. I had read in some places that having the cider sit in contact with the lees for a long time is bad for the flavour, is that not the case?

OK so I have read quite a bit of contradictory info about how long to leave cider in each stage. Some say they only leave the cider in primary and dont bother with secondary. Some say to wait until the bubbling stops in primary, then wait another day or 2 or 3, then transfer to secondary. Some say to leave for a couple weeks in primary after it stops bubbling before moving to secondary.

Then as for secondary, I've heard everything from a couple weeks through to a few months. I've also heard some say that leaving in secondary for too long can ruin the cider.

The for bottling again, ive heard anything from about a week through to multiple months.

If my goal is to just get the nicest tasting cider (dry, i don't mind letting the sugar all get used up), with minimal yeast flavour, minimal bitterness, made from pasteurised supermarket apple juice with no preservatives, no extra sugar added, using safcider So2 yeast, white sugar to carbonate. Keeping in a temp controlled fridge at 16 degrees C. SG 1.05.

What are the lengths of time I should keep it:
1) In primary
2) In secondary
3) Should I rack into a tertiary?
4) How long to let carbonate?
5) How long to "rest" the cider in bottles before consumption after carbonation?

Thank you for your advice!

Cider can and does create some off flavors if allowed to sit on the spent yeast. The cider I have made was done over a period of 6 to 18 months, refrigeration is required to do this, which it appears you have. After the yeast gets going, I drop temp to 45-50*F. I'll attach the notes from one of my best batches nearly 25 yrs ago, hope you can read it. This batch was racked three times before kegging. After kegging, I like to store at 0*C, keeps the flavors more pure for a longer time. Not that this batch lasted very long, LOL.

Attachments

• 20230409_172833[1].jpg
    20230409_172833[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have a large quantity of cider and am in no rush to get things done. I make cider when the mid to late season apples are ready in the fall, let it sit in primary a month or two, rack to secondary and bottle in the spring when the apple blossoms are visible. Sometimes I get busy and let the cider sit in secondary for a long time. If the cider is very good it gets consumed "young", but if its not that great it gets set aside. I've opened 4-5 year old cider that is labeled "ok, but needs blending or oak" and its much improved from the aging.

Latest posts

Back