vonZwicky's keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_13121.jpg

I was able to cut a few panels for the facade out of the birch, primed, and now have 3 coats of chalkboard paint applied (this stuff dries so much faster than the helmsman):

IMG_13101.jpg

IMG_13111.jpg

That cypress is gorgeous! I am so glad you opted for only a few coats of polyurethane. Staining that wood would be a travesty.

Great looking project so far, can't wait to see the end product.

I and the cypress thank you, Rushis. Glad I didn't stain it either. Aside from being extra work, I think it would have taken away from the overall effect.

Thanks JohnnyO. I have a 1/4 keg of Abita Imperial Stout in the freezer that I won't tap until I have this keezer functional. It's my motivation for hurrying up and getting this thing finished.

Hold the phone! Abita makes an Imperial Stout?!?

A few years ago Abita started a line of "Select" beers. They brew a small batch of something new every few months, it's kegged (not bottled) and most of it goes to local bars and restuarants. Almost all of the Selects are one time brews, here today and gone tomorrow. I was lucky enough to get a keg of this latest one, Imperial Stout.

Thanks guys, but don't congratulate me yet. I've spent about 90% of my time thinking about this build, and the other 10% building it (the main reason it's taking so long). I'm still looking for that "fatal flaw," the thing I didn't anticipate. Until I get it operational for a period of time, I don't know what kind of problems might arise. This is my first keezer build.

Alright, I made lots of progress yesterday. I bought a sheet of 1/2 inch foam insulation to line the collar with. Here's some pics:

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_13541.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

I've been worried about the temp controller being prone to collecting condensation since it's flush mounted inside the collar. Hopefully the insulation will protect it:

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_13611.jpg

Now some caulk around the edges of all the insulation:

IMG_13641.jpg

I also applied the foam isulation tape to the bottom side of collar, which will rest on the freezer (that's also getting foam tape around the top rim).

I used a 1 inch spade bit to drill through the collar for the faucet shank. Since I only have on faucet right now, I'll put off drilling the other two until I aquire more faucets (and kegs).

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

I decided to hinge both the collar and the freezer lid. The freezer lid for easy access, and the collar for when I need to load heavy kegs, or reach down into the bottom for cleaning (or that last six pack). It's deep in there!

IMG_13711.jpg

It doesn't seem like the hinges on the lid will hold for long, as they are only screwed into thin metal. That's o.k. I'm already begining to regard the freezer lid as disposible. A nice cypress lid at some point in the future would be so much better!

Now to install the facade:

IMG_13743.jpg

The facade is just hinged at the bottom, so this is just a matter tapping in a couple of hinge pins.

Some of you may have been wondering what the oak dowel rod was for in a previous photo:

IMG_13061.jpg

I cut it up up to make some of these "runners" or "guy line runners:"

IMG_13761.jpg

I first saw these used used on an old army tent I helped set up. They are invaluable for adjusting the length of a rope without untying and retying knots. I've been using them for years since to set up tents and tarps and such on camping trips. So, with a couple of eye hooks installed on the back of the facade, and a length of rope looped around the back of the freezer, I have this:

IMG_1386.jpg

The black fields are chalkboard. I had a piece of glass cut for the space under the faucets and framed up something timely from the local paper:

IMG_13801.jpg

IMG_13851.jpg

That's pretty much it for the build. And yes, philrose, the next step is to install the draft system and get 'er flowin. Since I won't even be home tomorrow for the Big Game, that'll probably have to wait until Monday when I, and most everyone else in the state, have taken the day off of work. I will supply pics then. Thanks!

Looks really great, and is quite a unique design.

I can't believe I'm complimenting the work of a Saints fan (Panthers fan here).

Thanks Handle. I'm willing to sweep the bitter Saints-Panthers rivalry under the rug until next season. I was pulling for Jake and the Panthers when they made it to the Super Bowl several years ago. :mug:

Alright, now I just need to rescue my draft system from my old keg hot rod and install it in the keezer:

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_13931.jpg

I've got her working and the beer is GOOD. Aside from obvious goals of adding more taps, there are some other improvements I may tackle in the future. A cypress lid and cypress panels to cover the sides of the freezer perhaps. None of these are projects that will force me to take the keezer out of operation. For the moment, I'm very pleased with her, so I'm happy to take a break from the tinkering and enjoy some beer for a while.

I'll revisit this thread in the event that I do anything new with it. At some point soon, I'll also post a list of pros & cons of the design, but the jury's still out on some of those. I'm planning on herding some of these pics over to the "Show us Your Keezer" thread in the next couple of days.

This one is for all of you guys out there in the homebrewtalk community. I couldn't have done it without you all. I'll be glad to answer any questions or help out however I can if any of you want to pursue a similar keezer build design. Thanks again, and Cheers! :mug:

man, that's the nicest keezer i've seen, fantastic woodwork on it... really cool idea with the facade. can't wait to see some of your beer in it!

Thanks android. I can't wait to get some of my brews in it either. Right now I just need to take a break, quit hemoraging money on brew projects, pay my taxes, and sip on some brew in the mean time. I want to jump into all grain brewing, but I may settle for some extract batches to get started. I feel like I have a big jump on the game with this keezer build. Not only do I have a draft system to accomidate kegs, but this keezer will also serve as a fermentation chamber for brewing lager beers.

Back