Vets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a VA home loan, reduction on my real estate taxes, the GI Bill that paid well above and beyond my college costs ultimately sending me on a few vacations, a full ride to state college for 2 semesters (still collected GI Bill), 3 extra vacation days at work every year that non-Vets don't get, various discounts and rebates on all kinds of things including the two Jeeps I purchased, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Well, shoot, I never got any of that stuff! Of course, I wasn't' in during the GI Bill years- they had a terrible new program called VEAP. Which meant I got $2 for every $1 I put in for education once I got out. It was under $5000 total, but they did pay 90% of my tuition and books while I was in.

While I was in, I got a free trip to Grenada. That trip sucked.

I got a free trip to Germany, too, which was great. I lived in Germany for the rest of my enlistment.

I probably could ask for Veteran's Discounts at the auto repair shop, and get it. But I never thought to ask.

I got exactly what my enlistment contract said I would- a pay, 30 days vacation per year, free medical and dental care, and all for several years.

I did get some free Space-A flights (unexpected), and education while I was in. I bought a TV at the PX.

I don't mean to sound hard, but when you sign up, you have a contract which is honored by the government. To expect more later is not realistic.

Retired Ballistic Missile Submarine Sailor here. First - Thank each of you that have served and then Thanks also to family, friends and communities that supported you!
When I first retired I was unaware of what was available to me. I do know that as a Submariner, I think differently than most people, especially civilians and even other Service Vets, we tend to be construed as strange or even abnormal for volunteering to man ships that sink on purpose. After 2 1/2yrs as a civilian, my uncle, 34yrs in Army, turned me onto all of the benefits of the VA. I do take advantage of what is offered to me as a retired (disabled) vet. I have a 70% rating from the VA and that gives me great opportunities for Home Loan Guarantees, Property Taxes and a few other areas. I would prefer to be able to be 100% healthy despite these benefits, which included a complete re-education into the Computer/IT world. (side note: the benefit I appreciate the most is a permanent free hunting and fishing license from the State of Alaska - my boys and/or their friends help me pack out my successes).
I have yet to be mistreated or mis-handled at the VA but here in Alaska, either in the Va or the community at large, we seem to be treated pretty well no matter what. I enjoy greeting each military member that I see and thanking them person to person for their commitment and their service. My wife and I believe this to be especially important.
I received everything I was promised to me when I volunteered over 36yrs ago, I saw a good portion of the World, met some very fascinating people and learned their cultures, I received a paycheck every 2 weeks, medical, dental, optical care. If I desired they even provided housing or a benefit of a housing payment for off base living.
My wife and I do hold the belief that if you are old enough to volunteer to fight and die - you are old enough to vote, drink and smoke!
Leaving the Submarine Service was the Hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Where were you in Germany? I was in Mesau, Stuttgart, and Keiserslautern. My free trips were all to the wonderful Balkan countries, all 4 tours. :)

I lived right in downtown Frankfurt, at the then V Corps headquarters. For a while I was in Fulda, during the height at the cold war due to my intelligence MOS and the threat due to the "Fulda Gap".

I worked in PsyOps, mostly, but in CI at times. I also worked for the "Smell-em" (SMLM) in Frankfurt. It basically meant we watched the Soviets who used our Px while they watched us. :drunk:

I spent very little time in K-slatern, and some in Stuttgart with VII corp.

Being a Vietnam-Era veteran, I would have settled for people ignoring my military experience. It was a huge negative back then. Even the Vet organizations didn't want us.

so civilians are oxygen wasters? I don´t understand, or it at least I just hope I don´t understand, my english is limited so there is a chance that I just didn´t got that rigth, besides the US is not my country, I respect your decision and I aplaude your service to your contry but I disagree. Strongly disagree.
PS: The only reason I actually read this thread is because i tought you were a veterinarian and not a veteran,

Obliviousbrew said:
so civilians are oxygen wasters? I don´t understand, or it at least I just hope I don´t understand, my english is limited so there is a chance that I just didn´t got that rigth, besides the US is not my country, I respect your decision and I aplaude your service to your contry but I disagree. Strongly disagree.
PS: The only reason I actually read this thread is because i tought you were a veterinarian and not a veteran,

Win! close the thread right now

I was Intel also, 96B. CI is 97 right?

Yeah! I was 96B by MOS, but then switched to 97B (made 97E) later on. I did some TDY as a 37F (psycological operations).

I broke my leg the first time in Airborne training. Damn gravity and all.

I have a good grasp of languages, although am no longer in fluent in them. This was almost 30 years ago, and I've forgotten more German and Spanish and Russian than I've remembered. I'm still "meh" in Spanish and do OK in Mexico and Central American countries although they smile at my pronunciation.

It worked well for me, and I loved it. I didn't like the SMLM duty, but it was part of it as well.

I'm pretty sure the "oxygen wasters" comment was just a joke.

If not, you have to feel sorry for a person who would exhibit such a sentiment for people that he swore to serve, and "uphold and protect". I would pity someone who felt that a citizen of the country they served would feel that way about a fellow citizen, because he didn't get a free meal at McDonald's.

Yooper said:
If not, you have to feel sorry for a person who would exhibit such a sentiment for people that he swore to serve, and "uphold and protect".

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Yooper said:
Yeah! I was 96B by MOS, but then switched to 97B (made 97E) later on.

You must be exaggerating... 34D at the absolute most.

Thank god for beer and Fridays!! Wool!! Oh... Um carry on..

No offense mean by the term " oxygen waster" my older brother was in the army and that's what they called civilians and its has always been a joke between us. I mean zero offense with the term it's just a joke.

JoeyChopps said:
No offense mean by the term " oxygen waster" my older brother was in the army and that's what they called civilians and its has always been a joke between us. I mean zero offense with the term it's just a joke.

That's funny. I never heard that one. We just called everyone else POGs (like the band The Pogues). People Other than Grunts.

Nice. I have to admit this thread has made me feel a little weird it seems that most people are a lot more proud of the time spent in service then I do. I don't feel the least bit proud of my service

JoeyChopps said:
Hum I guess I'm the only one we got paid small and now tons of oxygen wasters have the same rights as we do...,. Never mind

I've never understood the whole "we don't get paid much" thing. My wife and I take what Uncle Sam gives us and goes from there. Cola, BAH, BAS and base pay make up a pretty good, dependable, living wage.

We bought a small house to start out with, we'll below our means, and now we have two rental properties, a home business, and some nice stuff in our primary residence.

So what if I didn't have a four wheeler, boat, big vacations, and a new truck when I made sergeant.

I think they should spend more time counseling the newbs regarding finances and budget..... Teach them to live within their means and teach them how to make their money work for them.

After the wisdom I gained from my "hey parents" thread... I think I am going to err on the side of silence on this thread going forward.

Nice. I have to admit this thread has made me feel a little weird it seems that most people are a lot more proud of the time spent in service then I do. I don't feel the least bit proud of my service

Then what DO you want? You started a thread complaining that you don't much in the way of tangible benefits as thanks, but you're not proud of your service?

That doesn't make sense to me. I'm extremely proud of my service, and I worked very hard for my $558 a month (yes, that's what an E2 made when I enlisted). I went to college, went overseas, did some combat stuff, airborne training, and counterintelligence. I lived and breathed the color "green". I'm extraordinarily proud of it.

If I had not been injured with broken leg#1, #2 and #3, perhaps I could have retired as an Army vet.

I saw the world, lived in places I never could have imagined, got paid, and had full medical and dental coverage as well as paid trips back to the states for a month to see loved ones. What other 18 year old can say the same about their job?

Most other 18, 19, 20 year olds are in college or working at MacDonald's. I was a counterintelligence agent during the cold war in a foreign country. I grew up, provided for myself, served my country and got an education. All while being paid. It's an even trade.

I think there has been tons of good that has came from this thread. I don't want this thread to come off as me b!tching and whining I mainly just wondered if I was the only vet that felt this way. I have really enjoyed everyone's insight on the topic. As far as what perks I want I really don't know

I don't know I look at other country's that you have to be in the military to be a full citizen and have more rights. Whereas in America veterans are not the same I find that weird

Which countries, specifically? I'm guessing that any country that makes super-citizens of it's military would be a country that you would not want to live in.

Surely, making a special class of citizen for vets would attract the wrong type of people to the military?

After reading this thread last night, I watched a bit of TV. In 2 hours I noticed four commercials, two from the Gov. advertising vet services, and 2 from sources I don't know about. All were pointing vets toward some kind of benefit specially for vets. (One featuring the first lady) All of these ads were in glowing terms and obviously trying to make you feel special.

How special do you feel you need to be?

I live in Spain and I was born and raised in Argentina from spanish mother and italian father, my reality and my sense of the world is very different from what most of guys here have experienced. In Argentina in the ´70 we had a military goverment, if you were in the forces you were ok and your rigths respected, if not, not even the minimum human rigth (like the rigth to live and have an identity) was respected, I agree with Launghin_Gnome_Invisible: I don´t want to live in a country like that where military and vets are beyond and above us "oxygen wasters", I do understand that giving a service to your country and your society should be repaid with some benefits, but not with rigths, rigths are universal and for everybody, otherwise we propably call them "wrongs" instead of "rigths". Citenship and rigths are "a given" just for your human condition, if we don´t separate for colour, beliefs, sex orientation or political inclination we shouldn´t do it for our jobs niether. Just my 2 cents and with all the respect honest and brave military deserve.

You know, there is something good that came out of this thread. Knowing you were also Airborne has literally made my month!

Sorry to disappoint! It was very short lived (broken leg #2 in training), and as I was about to be recycled, broken leg #3 came from a firefighting incident jumping out of a helicopter.

So that's why I had to find a new MOS that would suit. Keeping me on the ground (my commanding officers wouldn't even let me stand on a stepstool!) was the only course of action for me, it turns out.

But I didn't break my leg again for nearly 30 years!

My grandfather (now passed) and my father had a concrete bond with each other. Although never spoken of, I'm sure they related in only a way that people who had been through the hell that is war can understand. I always had the greatest respect for them and all vet's for that matter.

I always believed that they fought to protect the freedom and rights that we all have. They never asked for or expected anything more. They fought for what they already had.

If you weren't proud of your service, what do you expect to be given special? Just entitlement generation nonsense? That makes no sense. I've done some things I'm not proud of and I don't expect to be rewarded for them.

And if veterans are going to be a special class, are there degrees of veterans too? I know many that would argue AF dudes are a hair away from the civilians you detest. Do we make grunts and combat arms types extra special citizens?

Being held in higher regard than your fellow Americans is not a right, it's just something you earn or achieve. What rights are you talking about that you don't have? I'm in Kyrgyzstan right now on my way home from Afghanistan most of the soldiers that I have or am encountering in the military currently aren't doing anything special that should earn them any additional rights when we get home. Anyone can sign up for the military, it doesn't automatically make them better than anyone else. A lot (not all) of the people that I work with on a daily basis seem to have this attitude that the mere fact that they're in Afghanistan (or formerly Iraq) is good enough. They're not doing anything to contribute to the war effort or doing anything special to benefit their fellow soldiers to their left and right. I've spent most of this last year in AFG just trying to reteach my junior soldiers for the umpteenth time the basic fundamentals of their jobs that they learned in their initial training and trying to keep them from accidentally shooting themselves or others. A lot of people that I know got hurt, lost limbs or their lives this year, and I respect and miss them, but there's so many more that just treat the military like anyone else treats a job at McDonalds.

As a non-USA person I must say I'm astounded by such a thread.
Just because you choosed to serve army you want special rights?! Like someone said earlier in this thread: you got all the special rights during your serving time (paycheck, healthcare etc.).
I respect people who fought for my country. Deeply. But gives this more rights to such people? No. What type of rights should they get? The right to be the first in every waitingline, to show we respect them? And what would be a appropriate respect-time? 5 years? 10 years? Lifetime?

Like someone allready said: countrys who give extra rights are probably country's you don't want to live in. I guess it's not extra rights they give to such persons, you earn normal rights by serving milltary.

This thread is just astounding. So you think that the guy who collects your trash deserves less than you? The nurse in the hospital or clinic that has to deal with, see, and clean up nasty **** every day for the rest of us? The teachers who deal with terribly behaved kids all day and have their parents ***** at them about it when they try to correct their behavior? The kid at McDonald's who serves you your fries but also has one other job and takes 2 or 3 community college classes? The eons of other people who either risk their lives every day in their jobs, whether it's manufacturing, construction, etc., or test their mental strength just trying to do the best they can ... so you really think you're special and that others haven't sacrificed just as much or maybe way more? Seriously, you need to grow up. Be grateful for what you have.

You're not proud of your service but you want special benefits not available to non-vets (whose taxes by the way paid for your free medical and dental insurance, pay, and military benefits!)?

Take a look at the lot of other people that are in your age group (I'm assuming 18 - 25 based on your profile picture). Many of them are seriously in debt because of school loans and have bleak employment opportunities. The military isn't a social service - you got what you put into it, however benefits like the GI bill which help pay for college is a huge benefit considering the escalating costs of college. Those are the benefits that are "exclusive" to military members and you're a fool if you choose to not take advantage of it. There are numerous other programs out there that help vets purchase home and obtain low interest loans.

If you haven't already, you should become a USAA member. My parents were in the Air Force and passed their membership to myself and my brother and sister. It is a great company that provides car, property and personal insurance and has recently expanded to offer other financial services. They are essentially one of the best companies I have ever dealt. I now do all my banking through them and I couldn't be happier with their performance.

Also you might want to reconsider your attitude towards civilians since it appears that you're one now. You're in our world now and you need to adjust to that quickly. Acting contemptuously to non-service members in a civilian world isn't going to help you get ahead.

Close on the age I'm 28 I have taken advantage of my GI bill ( I just finished my ba) I have also been a member of usaa since 2002 and I have my home loan with a va loan. Also as many people are trying to paint the picture that I'm " intolerant " of civilians I'm really not this started out as a light hearted thread that got serious really fast. Granted I have enjoyed everyone telling me to "grow up" and " seek mental help". I have taken advantages of benifits for vets. Didn't mean to piss everyone off. However I'm sure most people haven't read the entire thread and probably will not read this and continue to flame me and that's fine by me ( me and my vet co-workers have thought its pretty funny) I do feel like I have learned new insight on the subject. Chopps. Cheers

Close on the age I'm 28 I have taken advantage of my GI bill ( I just finished my ba) I have also been a member of usaa since 2002 and I have my home loan with a va loan. Also as many people are trying to paint the picture that I'm " intolerant " of civilians I'm really not this started out as a light hearted thread that got serious really fast. Granted I have enjoyed everyone telling me to "grow up" and " seek mental help". I have taken advantages of benifits for vets. Didn't mean to piss everyone off. However I'm sure most people haven't read the entire thread and probably will not read this and continue to flame me and that's fine by me ( me and my vet co-workers have thought its pretty funny) I do feel like I have learned new insight on the subject. Chopps. Cheers

So, in essence, you were just trolling. OK then.

I'd still like to know which countries you admire for their extra rights for vets though.

I'm not trolling just bsing this is in ddmm and I just wanted to know what others thought. Also as stated the counties that offer more rights to vets usually suck. Nice now I need to grow up seek mental help and I'm a troll. Also as stated I wasn't trying to piss off anyone good thing I only know like five hbt members in real life ( all either vets or active duty) and they all think I'm an A hole already so no lose on my side.

For the record, I think my post was either misread or I worded it poorly. I insinuated that ALL combat vets should receive mandatory treatment at the end of their tours. I'm sure there will be combat vets who have a rock-solid, superman psyche, but as the minority they would have to grin and bear it.

What I wasnt trying to imply, Chopps, was that you mentally damaged. A bit wrong-headed perhaps, but not wrong in the head.

Also, as a non-vet I hope you all forgive my ignorance, but are the deals at the Px really that good? I always pictured it more like a discount bodega or mini-mart (basically a place to buy groceries and paper products), but if you folks are buying tvs there than its more like a Wal-mart. Are the military courtesy rules relaxed a bit while you are shopping there, or do you spend half the time pushing a cart and half the time saluting.

These are the kinds of questions that preoccupy me.

Latest posts

Back