Very New to Kombucha. Maintainence tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertdobalina

Reaction score
So I'm new to brewing Kombucha and received a SCOBY from a friend that has been brewing for a while. Sadly, we had a falling out so I'm unable to pick his brain for help brewing. My SCOBY has just been in the fridge, but I wanted to start brewing so I made some sweet tea and added the SCOBY. It's been 8 days now and smells right, tastes only slightly vinegary, but there's a thin opaque film on the top that I'm concerned about. It has also developed some black spots that I'm pretty sure weren't there when i received it.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    884.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    960.4 KB · Views: 64
It will form new layers or grow a whole new separate scoby with every new batch, it starts off as a thin waxy looking film. The discoloring is different colonies living in the scoby, like yeast. some other things will happen when the gas bubbles really start getting trapped in the film and making it rise and fall. As long as you don’t see fuzzy mold, your all set.

It will form new layers or grow a whole new separate scoby with every new batch, it starts off as a thin waxy looking film. The discoloring is different colonies living in the scoby, like yeast. some other things will happen when the gas bubbles really start getting trapped in the film and making it rise and fall. As long as you don’t see fuzzy mold, your all set.

Awesome, thanks so much. Should it be in a larger container? I'll be getting one for when i start brewing in larger quantities, but it looks a bit cramped in there.

Back