New Fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmccumber

Reaction score
Hi all

I am very new to kombucha brewing, but I know it is something I want to continue and I was looking to start upgrading my equipment.

I am currently using 1 gallon pickle jars and I have been seeing two options for larger fermenters that seem interesting. Both types are glass and will have stainless spigots.

One option is basically a larger version of the pickle jar. Some of them are round and others are square. The other option I am looking at is basically a glass cylinder. It has a wide opening without the tapering of a glass jar for the lid. I have included pictures of both types.

The main question is there any advantage to either designs. I am leaning to the cylinder shape since it has the wider opening for greater O2 access and maybe a larger SCOBY formation? It also seems easier to access SCOBY for removal and cleaning of the whole system. Comes in 2 and 3 gallon sizes.

Final part is size of vessel. Is there a negative to buying a larger vessel and not filling entirely? So if I have a 3 gallon and I only fill to 2 gallon is there a problem with that much headspace in the primary?

Thank you very much for your heal and any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Tim

Attachments

• Cylinder ss spigot.png
    Cylinder ss spigot.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Jar type SS spigot.png
    Jar type SS spigot.png
    100 KB · Views: 0
I suggest a stainless steel Sansone Fusti if you wanna go high end.
And if you want to go low end, go to Home Depot and get a food safe bucket.
E279C30F-9269-4B27-9618-E4EAA0D2E0FE.jpeg

7C04C23A-375D-4A21-87AC-3804D9E01814.jpeg

Back