[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's usually because you don't read all the directions… like someone found out earlier, when it says unpack the zip file in the directions and then it goes on the give a step by step terminal command to do so, so they just right-click unzip from the desktop… instead of following the directions. it's also a good idea to read through the directions all the way before attempting the install. sometimes it's easy to skip past an entire page of directions and not realize it. if you ever did a manual install of brewpi back in the beginning you'll know what I mean.

That's usually because you don't read all the directions… like someone found out earlier, when it says unpack the zip file in the directions and then it goes on the give a step by step terminal command to do so, so they just right-click unzip from the desktop… instead of following the directions. it's also a good idea to read through the directions all the way before attempting the install. sometimes it's easy to skip past an entire page of directions and not realize it. if you ever did a manual install of brewpi back in the beginning you'll know what I mean.

No, I do research and read many times. I just have bad luck.
I also don't do to many Download installs...If I can't get a Disc to install from I don't use.

For Me I need something as Open...Click install not all this install here, Unzip Here, Change this for that.

There are two "parts" to RaspberryPints, the host side that provides dbase and web services (and is usually run on an RPi) and the Arduino side that does the pulse counting from the flow meters and sends "Pour Packets" to the host side.

If you don't implement the flow meters, you don't use the Arduino...

Cheers!

[...]For Me I need something as Open...Click install not all this install here, Unzip Here, Change this for that.

As our head of Public Relations conveyed in his inimitable manner ;) the path to a successful build is not for the weak of resolve - nor for those who cannot read for comprehension.

However, I believe it is fair to say the RaspberryPints Collective here on HBT has navigated quite a few utter noobs through the process.

So, buckle up your chin strap and jump!

Cheers! :D

Be my luck I'll spend days reading thru the prior posts and miss something. Are there complete or almost complete instructions for getting Raspberry Pints setup and running on the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?

Thanks.
For the pi 3 use my instructions. Oat number to follow.

Update
Post 2204 ofthis thread should have it.

Im sure someone has done an install of the new Pixel on a Pi2. I am having issues during the apache2 install saying items couldnt be authenticated so i never get that setup completed for the database setup. So i moved forward to try and get everything else setup and the wifi wont connect. I was doing some reading that Pixel is designed for the Pi3 with an onboard wifi, not a dongle like the Pi2 requires. Can anybody shed some light on this and lend a hand. I tried following DrunkleJons install to a point but i believe his is for Jesse and also the flow meters which i am NOT using. Thanks in advance.

As our head of Public Relations conveyed in his inimitable manner ;) the path to a successful build is not for the weak of resolve - nor for those who cannot read for comprehension.

However, I believe it is fair to say the RaspberryPints Collective here on HBT has navigated quite a few utter noobs through the process.

Yes. Just keep swimming.
I did it and to me, sudo is a Phil Collins song. I must've gone through every post here several times. I had originally gotten this working w/o flow meters on a pc. And then realized there was a whole new version and realized half way in that my pi had Jessie, and that the uno i bought really was the way to go. Etc etc etc. Near the end I erased everything reloaded and had to bridge the gap to get it working. A few friendly redirects here and boom.

One big helper was just pasting commands from the tutorial because a couple of those are hard to read for spacing and special characters. Also, don't blow into the meters. Trust me on this!

Hell I got mine counting flow over Bluetooth because of all of day_trippers work

Im sure someone has done an install of the new Pixel on a Pi2. I am having issues during the apache2 install saying items couldnt be authenticated so i never get that setup completed for the database setup. So i moved forward to try and get everything else setup and the wifi wont connect. I was doing some reading that Pixel is designed for the Pi3 with an onboard wifi, not a dongle like the Pi2 requires. Can anybody shed some light on this and lend a hand. I tried following DrunkleJons install to a point but i believe his is for Jesse and also the flow meters which i am NOT using. Thanks in advance.

There probably some permissions issues. this happens a lot of times when people have tried to install things like brewpi on pc systems. the install of an os not designed for a pi like vanilla Debian can install default users with differing user names. it can be resolved by making sure you setup your initial default admin accounts under the user name pi for starters. although this may not be your issue. its a good place to start.

It could also be something as simple as the keyboard/localozation settings too. without having any experience with pixel I don't know what it uses, but I know that standard pi installs will do this right out the box, and if you use one of those mini keyboards you could be entering characters incorrectly and not even know it.

Thanks for the starting points. I will check into this. I believe the username was set under pi when i checked this.

Does anyone know of a place to download an old os from when Pints first came out to avoid all of these crappy os issues?

There probably some permissions issues. this happens a lot of times when people have tried to install things like brewpi on pc systems. the install of an os not designed for a pi like vanilla Debian can install default users with differing user names. it can be resolved by making sure you setup your initial default admin accounts under the user name pi for starters. although this may not be your issue. its a good place to start.

It could also be something as simple as the keyboard/localozation settings too. without having any experience with pixel I don't know what it uses, but I know that standard pi installs will do this right out the box, and if you use one of those mini keyboards you could be entering characters incorrectly and not even know it.

Surely it would be better to update Raspberry Pints so that it works with the latest software? There is nothing special about it, but it hasn't been updated for 3 years. There are 55 forks of the original code on Github. Is one of them the 'new leader'?

Also, hooking up the flow meters to Raspberry Pi GPIO would avoid the dependence on Pi alamode (another dead project), or indeed any additional Arduino or Arduino clone.

No, I am not volunteering, but surely one of the git forks would be a better starting point than the original?

You might try seeing if an interrupt driven RPi GPIO input will reliably keep up with flow meters pulses first. iirc, you'll have about 5 ms to work with.

Then you'll need to accommodate enough meters to keep everyone happy. How many RPI GPIO are interrupt capable?

Anyway, I'm not seeing an actual problem. I have R'pints running on Jessie with LXDE and the latest Apache2, using a stock UNO, and I doubt the Pixel desktop is a show stopper.

And if someone wants to blaze a trail through VMs, etc, they'll enjoy the privacy that only an island provides ;) Not RaspberryPints' problem to solve...

Cheers!

You might try seeing if an interrupt driven RPi GPIO input will reliably keep up with flow meters pulses first. iirc, you'll have about 5 ms to work with.

Then you'll need to accommodate enough meters to keep everyone happy. How many RPI GPIO are interrupt capable?

Anyway, I'm not seeing an actual problem. I have R'pints running on Jessie with LXDE and the latest Apache2, using a stock UNO, and I doubt the Pixel desktop is a show stopper.

And if someone wants to blaze a trail through VMs, etc, they'll enjoy the privacy that only an island provides ;) Not RaspberryPints' problem to solve...

Cheers!

Using pygpio all GPIO pins can have a callback on change of state, which is sampled every 5 us. That ought to be fast enough.

Thanks for the help. I got everything back up and running last night minus one thing. I took an old version of Wheezy from back in 2014 since that when Pints started out. When I went to disable screen blanking, the autostart file was blank. Is there a way to past the necessary code into the file or replace it completely? Thanks

Thanks for the help. I got everything back up and running last night minus one thing. I took an old version of Wheezy from back in 2014 since that when Pints started out. When I went to disable screen blanking, the autostart file was blank. Is there a way to past the necessary code into the file or replace it completely? Thanks

Figured it out.

For inside my LAN I use http://192.168.1.245/phpmyadmin/index.php
[edit] But that only works because I stuck a link (named phpmyadmin) in /var/www that points to the actual location of the phpmyadmin executable (which is /usr/share/phpmyadmin).

Cheers!

Is the way i was doing things the correct way one would normally go about finding their phpmyadmin file?

Apache2 doesn't like roaming outside of its little world under /var/www, so you kinda have to solve it there.

eg: obviously I know where phpmyadmin is actually installed (because I created the link :)) but if I use the explicit path...

http://192.168.1.245/usr/share/phpmyadmin/index.php

...Apache2 claims it can't find that file. This could be privs, could be Apache2, but either way, it doesn't work properly.

So, first make sure your phpmyadmin installation is rooted at /usr/share/phpmyadmin/.

Next...As you've recently installed Apache2, the default folder for in-bound web requests is now /var/www/html (the RaspberryPints installation was written for older Apache2 installations and thus references /var/www).

You can edit the configuration file for Apache2 (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default) to go back to the old style /var/www (which would match my old installation). Near the top of the file find the line
DocumentRoot /var/www/html and clip off the /html, then restart Apache2 (sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart).

Or you can keep the default location and adjust your urls to /var/www/html, and install raspberrypints there instead of /var/www.

Finally, create the symlink in either /var/www or /var/www/html, whichever you'll use as the Apache2 default.

$ cd /var/www (or /var/www/html)
$ ln -s /usr/share/phpmyadmin

That ought to get you going...

Cheers!

Apache2 doesn't like roaming outside of its little world under /var/www, so you kinda have to solve it there.

eg: obviously I know where phpmyadmin is actually installed (because I created the link :)) but if I use the explicit path...

...Apache2 claims it can't find that file. This could be privs, could be Apache2, but either way, it doesn't work properly.

So, first make sure your phpmyadmin installation is rooted at /usr/share/phpmyadmin/.

Next...As you've recently installed Apache2, the default folder for in-bound web requests is now /var/www/html (the RaspberryPints installation was written for older Apache2 installations and thus references /var/www).

You can edit the configuration file for Apache2 (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default) to go back to the old style /var/www (which would match my old installation). Near the top of the file find the line
DocumentRoot /var/www/html and clip off the /html, then restart Apache2 (sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart).

Or you can keep the default location and adjust your urls to /var/www/html, and install raspberrypints there instead of /var/www.

Finally, create the symlink in either /var/www or /var/www/html, whichever you'll use as the Apache2 default.

Cheers!

So I dont know what happened but everything is set up as you described above but i rebooted and got it to work. Thanks for the help again.:ban:

So I got a question that I am not sure if its been posted or answered.

I have had this set up for a while and its always bugged me that when I update one of my taps with a beer I have in my beer list that I have to input the SRM IBU OG FG....is there a way to make it so when you select the beer out of the beer list it auto imports this info?

Thanks in advance :)

Actually, it does - as long as you don't put tabs, hard returns or special characters anywhere in a My Beers entry.
When I tap a keg everything is loaded from the My Beers entry...

Cheers!

Actually, it does - as long as you don't put tabs, hard returns or special characters anywhere in a My Beers entry.
When I tap a keg everything is loaded from the My Beers entry...

Cheers!

interesting.
I will mess with it some more.
so far still a nogo
I also had gotten one of those motion thingies that I need to install :)

interesting.
I will mess with it some more.
so far still a nogo
I also had gotten one of those motion thingies that I need to install :)

This happened to me once. I could never solve the issue so I wiped and reinstalled. Which reminds me... I need to image my sd card for a quick restore.

So I got a question that I am not sure if its been posted or answered.

I have had this set up for a while and its always bugged me that when I update one of my taps with a beer I have in my beer list that I have to input the SRM IBU OG FG....is there a way to make it so when you select the beer out of the beer list it auto imports this info?

Thanks in advance :)
I had the same problem. It was discussed a while ago in this thread here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7421156#post7421156

I believe the most common way to get the problem is the inadvertent use of the hard return (Enter key).

(edit) I could never get the flowmeters working correctly so I switched to using https://taplist.io for my kegerator display. Easy to set up with no programming and no extra devices like the Arduino. My display is here. Much simpler and faster to set up.... if you aren't trying to get flowmeters working.

Cheers!

I'm a new user, new to Pi and Linux stuff. I got pretty far last night following the instructions on the RPints web site (didn't know about this thread) and I managed to get all the way to Step 7 RPints Config, but after I fill in all the blanks and click the setup button, I go to a file not found screen.

Reading the bold text above, I think I need to extract the zip into the html folder instead of the www folder - am I on the right track?

Then the bold italicized text above, I need to do those lines too? I don't recall seeing those in the instructions, but it was pretty late & I'd had a few beers :tank:

Do one (unpack the kit into /var/www/html) or the other (edit the Apache2 config file as shown to change the doc root to /var/www and unpack the kit there).

You get to pick your poison :)

Cheers!

Hello all.... l have been working on a taplist build and followed raspberrypints directions. It doesn't seem that I have a var/www file?? I can ping my Pi at the appropriate IP but then it just shows the "default apache" page and Not the "setup" page that its supposed too? I will be working on some of this tonight so if anyone will be around for trouble shooting.. I'll greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much everyone!

Check the two posts prior to yours for your answer. If that doesn't help, there is always someone around happy to help. Good luck!

I ran into that too, getting the default apache screen. The commands in the rpints instructions do not get rid of the default index.html file in the html folder. I had to manually delete that, then I copied the rpints index.php file into the html folder. That got me to the rpints setup screen. But I haven't had success past that yet. Tried extracting to the html folder, nope. Tried moving all of the rpints files & folders out of the rpints folder to the html root folder, still no luck but different, now I get a fatal error message to instead of just the file not found message. I'll keep plugging but if anyone has additional suggestions I'd be happy to try them! Thanks!

I ran into that too, getting the default apache screen. The commands in the rpints instructions do not get rid of the default index.html file in the html folder. I had to manually delete that, then I copied the rpints index.php file into the html folder. That got me to the rpints setup screen. But I haven't had success past that yet. Tried extracting to the html folder, nope. Tried moving all of the rpints files & folders out of the rpints folder to the html root folder, still no luck but different, now I get a fatal error message to instead of just the file not found message. I'll keep plugging but if anyone has additional suggestions I'd be happy to try them! Thanks!

It's moving the index file isn't going to cut it. you most likely are using Jessie at this point and a while back the default location for web access moved from /www/ to /www/html. thats that's where all your files need to be to function properly. if you followed the deprecated install instructions they would have had you unpack in the old /www/ folder instead of the new default location of /www/html….

Back