Various fruits in cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basilisk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what kind of fruits you've tried adding to cider, how you've done it, and what works well.

So far, I've only done 3. In my first batch, I did some raspberry. I basically just dumped a cup of frozen raspberries into the bottle and let it ferment with them. They lost all their color to the cider, which made them look kind of gross floating at the top. But we bottled it and it tasted delicious.

Right now I have a bottle with clementine and another with banana. I just chopped them up into reasonable sized pieces and dumped them into their respective bottles, just like I did with the raspberry. The banana has been bubbling a decent amount, but the clementine hasn't seemed to push anything out of the airlock... would the citric acid in a clementine possibly do this? It also looks very "creamy" at the top of it.

Oh well, I'll find out.

Any others I should try?

I just finished a batch with Blackberries,turned out good but very strong alcohol taste so its gonna sit awhile and mellow.

We have two or three gallon ziplock bags of fresh picked black berries in the freezer that were meant for jam, if they don't get used for that soon one bag might end up floating in a carboy of cider :D

I just wrote up what I did with tart cherries in cider last spring. I wouldn't recommend carting it off to the back country like I did, but it really was the best cider I've ever had.

Here's the link: Tart Cherry Cider

Is it better to put whole berries in the primary or run it thru the food processor first?

Latest posts

Back