Van Morrison!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight is "Van Morrison" night at my house. I have no idea why, but I forgot how much I loved him all these years so I'm going to overdose on him tonight while I have a few beers.

I do that once in a while. Sometimes (probably far too often for Bob) it's Tom Waits night. But I'm too happy for Tom Waits today.

This weekend I stumbled upon a cover of "into the mystic" by Zac Brown Band ft Jimmy Buffet. It's awesome as hell

Riding my motorbike into Siena at sunset with Van Morrison playing on the headset is one of those memories of a lifetime.

It's probably his biggest song, but my wife LOVES Brown Eyed Girl (brunette with brown eyes, duh), so I have it on every front porch playlist I put together. God I love to see her enjoying that tune after all these years...!

I also have a special place in my heart for Warm Love... dates back to a retreat I went on when I was 16

I'm an Astral Weeks guy. The popular stuff doesn't really do it for me but Astral Weeks is a top 10 all time great album. Never get tired of listening to it.

I'm fickle. I switched over to Mark Knopfler a bit ago.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mark knopfler.

Here I am touching his instrument:
IMG_3682.jpg

And it Stoned Me

"On the way back home we sang a song, but our throats were getting dry
Then we saw the man from across the road with the sunshine in his eyes
Well he lived all alone in his own little home with a great big gallon jar
There were bottles too, one for me and you, and he said "Hey there you are"

And it Stoned Me

"On the way back home we sang a song, but our throats were getting dry
Then we saw the man from across the road with the sunshine in his eyes
Well he lived all alone in his own little home with a great big gallon jar
There were bottles too, one for me and you, and he said "Hey there you are"

I LOVE this song, and this part of the song particularly. Excellent pick.

Brothers in Arms and Romeo and Juliet are two of my faves of Dire Straits. Good stuff.

I love it all. Dire Straits, and all of the stuff since then. One of our favorite concerts ever was in Milwaukee on Sep 30 and seeing Mark Knopfler and his amazing band.

He's magnificent on the guitar, but it's so much more than that. I really think some of the more recent stuff is wonderful.

Just got back in town and might have to load up the stereo with some Van for some relaxation tonight.

Favorite albums:

Astral Weeks
Moondance
Tupelo Honey
St. Dominic's Preview

He did a pretty solid album back in the late '90s, Back on Top.

And anything from the Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler catalogs will do me fine. Good stuff.

Off topic but talking of chilling out drinking and listening to tunes I've been listening to quite a bit of Gillian Welch and Iris Dement here lately. That show the leftovers on HBO uses one of my favorite Iris Dement songs as the intro tune, Let the Mystery Be. Good stuff.

OK, since we're sharing... Sometimes I just need a shot of Bill Withers.

Is it possible to be smoother than the drummer in this clip? It would take a LOT of weed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight is "Van Morrison" night at my house. I have no idea why, but I forgot how much I loved him all these years so I'm going to overdose on him tonight while I have a few beers.

I do that once in a while. Sometimes (probably far too often for Bob) it's Tom Waits night. But I'm too happy for Tom Waits today.

its always a Tom Waits kind of day/night. a record for every mood.

Big fan of Van Morrison. Check out the tune "Philosopher's Stone" off of the Back on Top album. Love that one.

Cheers.

I have a few Van Morrison songs in my "need to learn this on my guitar" list...starting with Brown Eyed Girl (because it's easy). I don't think I'll attempt any Knopfler guitar tricks at this stage of learning the guitar...that could lead to injury.

Does Eddie Vedder know you are cheating on him?

That reminds me! At the National Homebrewer's Conference this summer, I bumped into a fellow brewer who looked just like Eddie Vedder!

I took pictures of us together, and emailed those to my husband.

He was not fooled, and knew that it wasn't really Eddie Vedder grabbing my butt.

I thought that might get him going. I was wrong.

Latest posts

Back