Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF!?!

We just checked the ski report and they're freakin saying a foot of powder fell over night. Uggg. My legs are going to be tired.

Oh well.

Have you gotten to Blue Sky Basin, on backside of Vail? There's a nice rock jump in the middle of the basin, its only like 20 ft down and in powder you should be fine. Maybe a broken leg. I have seen east coast skier try it! :p

Air! We want to see air! Marvin Miller type air! Big air! Leading to a spectacular yard sale and a ride on a toboggan.

Hey Brian, be sure to tell the ski patrol that your pants have radar reflectors. It makes them all giggly when they whip out their trauma shears to cut them off.

sidebar, since cape CLEARLY ignored my PM:

I want to brew babalu's dahkness this weekend, i have a couple questions:

i have warrior on hand, can i sub that for horizon?

i can't seem to find simcoe anywhere, what do you think is a suitable sub? I have amarillo...

what does he usually get for an FG?

thanks!

sidebar, since cape CLEARLY ignored my PM:

I want to brew babalu's dahkness this weekend, i have a couple questions:

i have warrior on hand, can i sub that for horizon?

i can't seem to find simcoe anywhere, what do you think is a suitable sub? I have amarillo...

what does he usually get for an FG?

thanks!

the main difference between warrior and horizon is the cohumulone levels ( not a HUGE difference for bittering). there is NO substitute for simcoe. I think the closest you could get would be a mix of centenial, CTZ, and northern brewer. That still wouldn't have that awesome pine/marijuana flavor and aroma.

Have people heard about Paul's total tanking on the yeast for this thread's beer???

Dont worry, when I get back from Colorado I'll go into all of the details in case anyone missed it.

How's the skiing? Did the boys go with you? I've been following the storms over the rockies... That week i spent in Salt Lake City seems like it was so long ago........

You don't really think he's actually SKIING, do you? What a laugh!

Cape poked his nose out the window and saw a snowflake. "Looks pretty bad out there, epic bad conditions. I'll stay here at the bar with my friends Bartels and James and wait till the ski patrols gives us the go ahead."

(Overhead PA system...) "The 8:00 kiddie school will be meeting at the Express Lift. It's another day of pristine Rockie Mountain skiing, we're taking you kids to the top!"

Cape, "Look at that, and not a one of them has radar reflectors in their pants. I'll stay here and wait they call for volunteers to assist in the rescue efforts. Hey Buffy, another Bartels and James over here and step on it!"

PTN

No, boys didnt make the trip. Neither did SWMBO. A guy in our brew club has a condo in Dillon snd every year he invites a few guys out. Oddly Paul didnt get an invite. Its confusing as to why not.

Another ten inches fell last night and there isnt a cloud in the sky right now. It has the making of a huge day.

You're in Dillon? Are you driving to Vail or skiing one of the Summit Co. resorts?

TAPPIN out!!! At the bah!! Avery IPA is easin the thighs.

Wasnt really ignoring you Moto.. Just wasnt totally sure how to anwser you.

sureee...

anyway it seems simcoe is back in stock at some places, so that problem solved itself. still gonna use warrior in place of horizon.

You're in Dillon? Are you driving to Vail or skiing one of the Summit Co. resorts?

Had a rental car skied Vail, Copper and Keystone.

Vail was low 40's and not a cloud in the sky
Copper was 12 inches of powder, cloudy and flurries
Keystone was 6 inches of powder and not a cloud in the sky

At Denver Airport now so I will be home and able to detail Paul's epic yeast fail tomorrow.

That's going to be a neat play by play on the yeast failure, it's working. The 1118 got built up with 4 additions of U3 till it was bubbling like mad and then got dumped in. But you tell us all about it, Suzy Chapstick. As always, we're waiting on your words of wisdom. And waiting... And waiting...

Air! We want to see air! Marvin Miller type air! Big air! Leading to a spectacular yard sale and a ride on a toboggan.

Hey Brian, be sure to tell the ski patrol that your pants have radar reflectors. It makes them all giggly when they whip out their trauma shears to cut them off.

Who is Marvin Miller?

Warren Miller films are classic. He took ski films, and big air in particular, to the next plateau. I remember the Scott Schmidt classics. Jumping off like a 50-75 ft. cliff, sticking the landing like he jumped 5 ft into a bed of feathers and skiing off. Awesome. Oh, and Glen Plake. I loved the interview he gave that detailed his warm up before skiing. He'd ride the chair lift rotating his ankles one way and then the other like warm ups are for wimps. Classic Glenn answer. Cape, you're not out there for a Warren Miller film are you?:drunk:

Had a rental car skied Vail, Copper and Keystone.

Vail was low 40's and not a cloud in the sky
Copper was 12 inches of powder, cloudy and flurries
Keystone was 6 inches of powder and not a cloud in the sky

At Denver Airport now so I will be home and able to detail Paul's epic yeast fail tomorrow.

Sounds like a great trip. Once at Copper, we had to hike to the top of Union peak. This was before any lifts took you to the top and the only way up is hoofing it with your skis on your back. The trip down skiing fresh powder, azzhole deep to a 10 ft indian, made the walk up seem worth every step.

Hope it was a good time.

sorry for the thread jacks....

carry on.....

That's going to be a neat play by play on the yeast failure, it's working. The 1118 got built up with 4 additions of U3 till it was bubbling like mad and then got dumped in. But you tell us all about it, Suzy Chapstick. As always, we're waiting on your words of wisdom. And waiting... And waiting...

Hey.... Captain Slapnuts... I'm on a effin plane. And NO, it isnt "working" and dont try to switch "gameplans". Your original gameplam was use a freakin 1040 starter instead of the big monster beer starters you had done SUCCESSFULLY twice in the past. I told you it was a dumb idea and in typicall Paul fashion you insisted you are the foremost expert on everything, told Yeager to shut up, and put all your eggs on one line in Jamil's Classic Styles that advises against making starters bigger than 1040.

And how did that work out?

Why don't you enlighten us all with how that killer plan worked??

NOW you're going back to what I effin told you to do and now it's "it's working"??? Are you serious???

I cant wait until I am back at a laptop instead of on my phone.

I've admitted from the moment it stalled that there was a problem. It's not like I'm trying to hide anything. For the love of God man, I told YOU! If I was trying to keep it quiet but still discussed the situation with you then I'm even stupider than you are trying so hard to make me seem Schweet Baby Jeebus, the f'ing Japanese tsunami didn't get this much coverage.

"Yes Brian, the Utopia isn't fermenting as rapidly as the two prior batches. Yes Brian, you suggested we not tinker with success. Yes Brian, you were right and I was wrong about that. Yes Brian, yes Brian, yes Brian."

PTN

My crystal 60 stout is fermenting away! I can't believe it actually is. It looks like chocolate milk. Ill see how it tastes in a week or two.

Starting gravity apparently was 1.076. What's the over/under on the finishing gravity? 1.070? 1.065?

It was quite an enjoyable cluster**** to watch, even as I lay dying of some friggin' illness in Kai's garage. Whodathunk that much crystal malt would cause a mash to stick quite that much? How DID you finally get that mash unstuck? Pretty sure that beer is an experiment in both fermentability of crystal malt and aggressive hot-side aeration.

The only way that cracks 1.020? The ONLY possible way?

beano1.jpg

Back