Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since you take a lot of gravity samples, do you add them back into the fermentor after?

since you take a lot of gravity samples, do you add them back into the fermentor after?

No, that would just beg for an infection. And fwiw, we don't take a lot if samples. So far we've pulled out around 12 oz from a 20 something gallon batch. We check it once a week or so, so that we know what is going on with a complicated brew and more complicated fermentation. That is hardly excessive.

PTN

Since I made both the Mega Tun and the one year old, I can name either one anything I want. If I get any lip about it I'll take 'em right out and make another one just like the first. Don't make no difference to me. I'm sure I wont notice the difference.

PTN

Now.... I'm sure everything is perfectly fine but IF.... IF it isn't I would really expect Paul to be as big of a man as I was on brew day when I instantly admitted my error on doubting him on the megatun. I, having a pair, owned up to it and then ate the huge amount of crow and accepted the gloating that Paul dished for days to follow.

I couldn't possibly imagine Paul NOT acting in the same fashion if, God forbid, there was some minor fermentation issue (which I'm sure there isn't).

That would be an insanely lame. I couldnt even imagine Paul being that lame. The only think I could even imagine being more lame than that would be Paul not letting me bust his chops about it. I mean... now... all of a sudden I can't bust Paul's chops about brewing??? Man... I couldn't fathom it.

Fantastic!!! See? I knew there was no issue!!

There can't be an issue!! 'cause if there was I KNOW Paul would have enough sack to admit it. There's noooooooo way Paul would take the ***** way out and just hide an issue... Cause like I was saying, I had to eat an awwwwwwful lotta crap for my "error" and I know my buddy Paul would definitely step up and be a man if there was any kind problem going on at all.

Phew!! I got nervous there for a sec but obviously things are just perrrrrrfect!!!

Yeeeeaaaaaaa!!!!

MAN!!!! I can't freakin' believe this!!! First I was dead wrong on the megatun and now I am apparenty dead wrong on the fermentation given the "screw the barleywine starter that worked perfectly last time" strategy is apparently working perfectly!

Damn it!! Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to hear Paul gloat again about how stupid I am and how I should just shut my yap and learn from someone as masterful as he is.

Go ahead Paul... Lemme have it. Lets get it over with. I'm ready to take my medicine since everything is going so perfectly.

Aaaarrrgggg!!! Where IS Paul!?!? The suspense of my impending beat down is killing me!!! Paul is probably just coming up with lots of horrible things to say about how stupid I am.

Man, I hope he takes it easy on me.

You know.... I feel really bad about doubting Paul now. Know what I think I should do to make up for my buzz-kill attitude?? I think I should really give Paul the proper credit he deserves.

I'm going to lob a call into a writer for the Yankee Brew news that a bunchof the SSBC guys happen to know. I think this kind of mastering of fermentation deserves proper recognition. Actually!!! I think I am going to reach out to Zymurgy as well. I am sure I can get one of them to lob a quick call into Paul for an interview.

What was you said that time Paul?? We should all try making Zima since none of us will ever reach your level of perfection?? I agree, especially after... now the THIRD U brew going as perfectly as it is. And like I was saying, i think Yankee Brew News and Zymurgy should hear about it!!!

Dare me Paulie??

It's possible. I just wish he would hurry up and tell us what the current gravity is. When I call the Yankee Brew News I want to be able to tell them something like, "Yeah! The beer was almost 1200 and, YES, they were able to ferment it quite a bit with JUST a little pale starter! And it's working perfectly!! You should do an article on this beer!!"

What dude? And it wasn't oxyclean, it was star san.

See??? I am not a little wussy and am able to come right out and admit a mistake. I'll tell ya one thing I would never do... that's hide for about 24 hours on a topic like this.

I don't know, Paulie. I have a lot of confidence in you. I've got to believe that the U3 is chugging right along, doing its thing.

I mean, I'd be absolutely devastated if I found out that the beer got stuck, like a little kid on Christmas morn... wait, I already did that one. Like a little kid on Easter morning who wakes up to find a basket of rabbit turds on the kitchen table.

Please tell me the beer's fermenting. Please. The world needs a hero, Paulie.

That's funny.. never saw it.

Yeah... it'll definitely impart and ass flavor for sure.

Two batches have been tried since the new and improved "ass removal procedures" have been put in place and I'm encouraged. The assicity seems to have vanished.

And know the best part about the beers I've made recently???

They've all fermented out perfectly... JUST like the U3.

Right Paul?

Houston, we MAY have a bit of an issue.

The U3 has stalled. Slowed down. Hit the brakes. Parked. Taken a powder.

But the opera ain't over till the fat guy sings, and I gutz a great voice. You don't really think I'm going to throw my hands up in the air and say, "Oh well, I guess I'll just pour it down the drain. Better luck next time." You know me better than that. I'll get it done , if only so I don't have to listen to you carping about it for the rest of my life.

You see Brian, any jackass can throw a packet of yeast in a carboy full of a 1.040 wort and accept the accolades from the unwashed masses. It takes skill and knowledge to brew a beer like the Utopia. Finess. A delicate touch. Experience. Ballz.

You wouldn't know about any of that and thats ok. Like the infant just learning how to walk, I don't expect you to run a 4.5 40. You can walk across the living room without holding on to the coffee table and its nice to see. It heartwarming. You are FINALLY managing to make half decent ales now that you have figured out that you have to drain the Oxyclean out of ALL the pipes in your brew rig before you brew.

So you just stand over there in the corner and watch. You might learn something.

PTN

Now Paul... I understand your expertise told you that you didn't want to stress the yeast with THIS U brew. and God... how COULD you? It's only a freakin 1180 beer. So sure, the small pale ale starter makes ABBBBBSOLUTE sense... sure... that's a given... but was your plan to give them so little stress that they would take nappy naps??

Hey... at least they're not stressed!

Pancakes... that's effin awesome.

Naptime!

nap-time-win.png

Back