Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll see... I may be collaborated out for the summer. 240 gallons of group brewed beer is quickly approaching my threshold. And I'm not sure there is a lot to collaborate on. I would just use the U1 recipe so it doesn't taste like a UIPA and then just not ferment it like a *******.

That is what these guys did with the first two batches only they used chips instead of a cask... Which is how would do it as well. I would be nervous about how much oxygen it would be exposed to aging in a small cask for that long.

That is mainly due to the Kaiser Malt. If you know anything about Kaiser malt you can pump nitrogen into the filled cask to avoid any issues with oxygen. The nitrogen will create a blanket over the wort since it's heavier than air and you can age for as long was you want. Problem solved.

And normally, that would be a perfect solution but as anyone who has taken a chemistry class knows.... Nitrogen and nutmeg do NOT mix. I dont need a trip to the ER.

Besides.... Kaiser malt is in The Awesomeness... Not the U's.

I thought you used fresh nutmeg and not processed? They are totally different. The main ingredient in the processed nutmeg is chemically on the other side of the periodical chart and won't mix with nitrogen. Processed nutmeg is right next to OxyCln.

I am on page 7 of the U1 thread, and I am taking notes. I think I may try it on my own...I know(insert jokes here), I am a newbie to all grain, and why would I want to attemt this on my own, but I think i may be able to pull it off

nah... I'm JOKING...

making the wort is the easy part. There's nothing special to it other than you boil it for like 9 freakin' hours. The real trick to this beer is the fermentation and they never really tell you how to do it in these threads. Not saying they're all super top secret.... it's just not really discussed and that is 98% of this beer.

I would strongly suggest doing a ton of reading about fermenting out super high gravity beers (suggestion: Don't do it with a freakin' yeast cake from a 1050 pale) before you attempt this beer.

The other nuance from this beer is you need to have a decent taste for how it is going and then how to nudge it in different directions once fermentation has taken off. Paul is not-very-good at a LOT of stuff but he DOES have a decent palate and is able to do this reasonably well... assuming the beer actually ferments.

The other thing to think about is that it is a large chunk of money given the grain bill and a long time to tie up a fermenter so make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you fire up the pots.

crayons.jpg

I am looking into getting equipment for this and this only...probably gonna take me near 6 months before I even think of attempting this anywho..at least on my own...if someone else...ahem...wants to share the cost of this I would be willing to do that as well

You shouldnt need any special equip.

Nah... Like i was saying to Dakota earlier, i'm skeptical I am going to be doing any collaboration brews anytime soon unfortunately. I am insanely backed up on beers and a huge percentage, if not all, of my brewing is going to be done on a moments notice so I don't want to be tied to setting up calendar dates , etc.

Plus when I do it I'll probably go even further just to one-up Paul an make a "double batch"... One regular U at normal ABV of 20+ but then make an Imperial U at 40+ ABV.... Just to piss him off.

Ha! I would love to see and have a share of the 40+. Once I get my kegerator going I will be able to make beer over 40% too! I need to get my tap beers going and house ales back on tap.

Birds right about the cost! I can have 6 more beers or one beer that'll have to wait to be drunk for over a year.

DakotaRules said:
Once I get my kegerator going I will be able to make beer over 40% .

That is probably the single stupidest sentence ever written on HBT! You make Zilgians Code Monkey Rant sound like scholarly debate! You're going to make 80 proof beer in a kegerator? Oh really? Please, educate us on how you're going to do that! Jumping Jeebus! All that effort Jamesons Distillery goes through to distill their whiskey by boiling off the alcohol could be avoided by using Dakota's fridge! Eureka!!!!!

My life is a wreck, I'm friends with the dumbest muttahfarkers on the planet! Where did I go wrong?

Ummm... If it is a chest feezer (which I think he's talking about) he could partially freeze the keg.

That's how you make an Eisbock Paul. It's a beer. It has kinda high alcohol.

It's actually not that complicated. Once you make a high gravity beer ie utopias, and its fermented out, you put the beer in said kegerator and begin to freeze the beer, you drain off the slurry liquid which is alcohol and that my friend is your 80 proof beer.

It's how they make that high gravity beer shoved up a squirrels butt.

It just another technique I would like to try, once I have have plenty in tap.

Jumpin jeebbuss!!! (hiccup) His statement sounded like a hillbilly to me, I thought Paul the all knowing knew it all!

Paul's kinda like Wayback John Wasdin... He gets on the mound, brings the heat, amd gets it hit 640 feet over the pike but damn it, he'll just keep on pitching.

I love it, of all the crazy beers ssbc does, I'm surprised this has never come up. Paul is totally watching videos on YouTube and reading furiously right now.

"I totally knew that?!??! I was just messing with Dakota! Jebus!"

Here ya go Paul, tactical nuclear penguin. How the worlds strongest beer is made.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/7812379[/ame]

I could change the Wikipedia page to say "This way of freezing beer isn't real because Paul says its strange dark wizardry"

I have to say that I'm a little uncomfortable with the two of you basing your avatars around the whole concept of grabbing my 'peaches.' I mean I'm all in favor of having the right person grab ahold and giving the lads a little twist but neither one of the two of you are that right person. You're not even the right gender.

I could change the Wikipedia page to say "This way of freezing beer isn't real because Paul says its strange dark wizardry"

Dark wizardry? Hey D-bag, I make my high ethanol beer the old fashioned way, through superior intelligence, charm and dashing good looks. No freezers or voodoo involved. I would recommend you try it but since you're not up to the task I don't want to hurt your feelings.

PTN

Do you think a monk has never frozen some beer in a cave or ice wine is a new concept??? Come on Paul you know better.

Ice wine has nothing to do with freeze distillation, FWIW. Ice wine is made by letting the (obviously unfermented) grapes freeze on the vine. The juice that's made after the ice is removed has a much higher sugar concentration. It's all pre-fermentation, though.

Back