Utopia Clone #3 Perfecting Nirvanha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The concept is the same, you freeze grapes to concentrate sugars before fermentation. Freezing is the key, the liquid that remains wether it is sugar, alcohol, or liquor is allowing the water to stay behind in the process.

Bout time to got back online, bird.

The concept is the same, you freeze grapes to concentrate sugars before fermentation. Freezing is the key, the liquid that remains wether it is sugar, alcohol, or liquor is allowing the water to stay behind in the process.

Bout time to got back online, bird.

Disagree. Making an icewine is more comparable to making a Utopias clone than to making an icebier. With both an icewine and a Utopias-type beer, you're starting with a ultra-high gravity juice/wort and having to baby the fermentation.

Making an ice beer, I mean, how hard IS it, really? Set your chest freezer to a couple degrees below freezing, wait until the cornie is slushy, then get out a slotted spoon and remove the ice.

I'm with Paulie, here. The skill is in the ferment. U1 still amazes me, especially given how much better it is than Sam Adams' own attempt.

I didnt say anything about the difficulty of it or the exact process of making an ice beer but Paul was saying that ice beer is not possible. I was simply stating that i could and at some point will make a 40% abv beer.

its going in out consecration clone...try to keep up with the times bird

I love how you go ahead and talk like an expert about a brew that you weren't even a part of and which you may have sampled a grand total of 6 ounces of.

Every time you open your mouth I want to club you over the head with a 34 oz Louisville Slugger.

Just sayin'.

I love how you go ahead and talk like an expert about a brew that you weren't even a part of and which you may have sampled a grand total of 6 ounces of.

Every time you open your mouth I want to club you over the head with a 34 oz Louisville Slugger.

Just sayin'.

Wasnt a part of? I think I did a 5 gallon share myself that nice day thank you...how quickly some people forget

How could I ever forget? That would be the day you showed up with your brand new SS braid and couldn't figure out how it worked inside your brand new Gott cooler. Or how you had to have someone show you how to vorlauf . Or how to light your burner. Is that the brew day we're talking about?

Everyone was a n00b at this once. I'm glad to teach n00bs. I've taught dozens of guys to make bad beer. I understand inexperience, I understand not knowing something. Hell I could fill an encyclopedia with what I don't know about brewing. What I don't understand is someone doing something once or twice and them walking around talking smack like he bought Uncle Charlie his firsts Mr Beer kit.

(edit)

It has been pointed out to me by my friends that at this point in my post I go off the tracks and crash. So I have deleted the worst of my rant. My vag is feeling better already. (/edit)

How did I not see this before? This is fricking huge.

And exactly how do you get just 10 gallons out of 113 pounds of grain? I'd imagine the amount of water absorbed by the grain would be astronomical compared to the amount of wort obtained. Unless you're lautering more and boiling down? Did I miss that?

Don't know I'm at the Nashville airport. Head to Brattleboro vt tomorrow for the brattleboro bear festival. My swmbo wanted to do something fun for our bdays. Hers is Friday and mine is Monday so we are going to a b&b Friday and Saturday and going to the beer festival on Saturday. Her idea.... This is why I love my wife.

Well... According to Paul it is under 1100.... So wtf is it??

Given the top secret nature of all of this I'm a bit suspicious... That and paul telling guys at TWB that it was stuck at 1100 and he was gonna toss bugs soon... I'm curious

My swmbo wanted to do something fun for our bdays. Hers is Friday and mine is Monday so we are going to a b&b Friday and Saturday and going to the beer festival on Saturday. Her idea.... This is why I love my wife.

Huh, this was Mama's idea? You're gonna pay, Magoo.

Take a gravity reading and tell us the results before you go. Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't know I'm at the Nashville airport. Head to Brattleboro vt tomorrow for the brattleboro bear festival. My swmbo wanted to do something fun for our bdays. Hers is Friday and mine is Monday so we are going to a b&b Friday and Saturday and going to the beer festival on Saturday. Her idea.... This is why I love my wife.

You're coming up? Cool! Wife and I will be there, although we might not get there until 2:00 or so, gotta drop the_Kidlings off at a friend's and can't do that until a little after lunchtime.

What the hell is this? You don't get to just waltz into the third best homebrewery in the land and start demanding fermentation schedules. Would you drive over to JP and start giving Jim Koch the third degree? He'd have that bald dude in the coveralls grab your peaches and drag to all the way to Doyles. Keep it up and I'll sick Yeager on your arse. You know what he's like when he gets worked up!

It's under 1.100. Guess how much, I'll tell you if you're hot or cold.

That last response was supposed to be for the bird....

Hey Yeager, did you make it up yesterday? Didn't see you around, although the_Wife and I did take off a little early (we got there a little after 1:00, took off at maybe 3:30 or so). We'd used up all of our tickets, so instead of buying more we decided to go hit downtown Bratt and hang out for a bit while we were still kid-free.

Best beer of the show, IMHO; Vermont Pub & Brewery's sour red. Can't remember the proper name of it, something Irish that they weren't pronouncing correctly. Went back for seconds on that.

EDIT: "Tulach Leis;:

A Flemish Style Vermont Sour Red Ale fermented with brettanomyces yeast providing slight tartness with barnyard aromas and flavors. This recipe was the result of the collaborative efforts of VPB brewers both past and present in honor of their mentor and Master Brewer, Greg Noonan. The name (Toolah - Leez) comes from county Cork in Ireland where the Noonan clan originated. 6.1% ABV. Hits the style.

Raise one to Greg...

Outstanding beer. My wife really liked it, too, and she wanted nothing to do with any sour beers. Just really nice and in great balance, a little funk but not overwhelming, I thought the sour was pretty clean, just enough of the funkiness to remind you that it's Brett, none of the vinegar-flavor that I hate in a lot of sours. Great beer.

I was looking for you! Get there around one left about 4:15. Best beer I had was the best balanced pale ale I have ever had made with Vermont cascade. It was a cafe and brewery in northern vt near sugar bush. Also the cask 2 sisters coffee and chocolate stout was way up there

I was looking for you! Get there around one left about 4:15. Best beer I had was the best balanced pale ale I have ever had made with Vermont cascade. It was a cafe and brewery in northern vt near sugar bush. Also the cask 2 sisters coffee and chocolate stout was way up there

Aaaah. Interesting. I was going to ask about recommendations of VT beer. There's a couple at the Boston Beer Fest. I think you're talking about the Prayer Rock Pale Ale from Bobcat Cafe in Bristol.

Have you guys ever tried Lawson's Finest Liquids in Warren?

Aaaah. Interesting. I was going to ask about recommendations of VT beer. There's a couple at the Boston Beer Fest. I think you're talking about the Prayer Rock Pale Ale from Bobcat Cafe in Bristol.

Have you guys ever tried Lawson's Finest Liquids in Warren?

They were there - pretty sure I tried SOMETHING of theirs, but it all kind of blends together.

They were there - pretty sure I tried SOMETHING of theirs, but it all kind of blends together.

I hear ya. I take mental notes at these events on things I want to buy and when I get home it's all unrecognizably smeared. Their website says they've won a lot of competitions. Looks like I may have to try all.

Latest posts

Back