USPS opened my hops and trashed em..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered some hops from Label Peelers, they were out of Centennial, but offered to send them when they came in at no charge. I just got a big box saying it was opened/damaged by the post office. They took the original box label and cut it, box and all and attached it to the outside. Inside the hops were all loose and jammed in with an exploded hop bag. Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm wondering if they didn't think it was something else.. due to x-ray or smell. I know they need a search warrant to legally open a usps package, but if it were 'damaged'?

HopsDelivery.JPG

I ordered some hops from Label Peelers, they were out of Centennial, but offered to send them when they came in at no charge. I just got a big box saying it was opened/damaged by the post office. They took the original box label and cut it, box and all and attached it to the outside. Inside the hops were all loose and jammed in with an exploded hop bag. Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm wondering if they didn't think it was something else.. due to x-ray or smell. I know they need a search warrant to legally open a usps package, but if it were 'damaged'?

You need to contact Labelpeelers and let them know what happened. They should send out a new order, preferably UPS.

I ordered some Simcoe & Amarillo (2x1lb packs each of pellet) from LP a few weeks back and it arrived just fine.

In any event, keep us posted as to how this situation is handled.

Take the package back to the post office and ask them for restitution. At the very least, talk to your local postmaster and try to find out what happened and that you find their handling of your package as unacceptable.

Ultimately, I think that Label Peelers themselves should be the ones to handle this. Did they insure their shipment to you? If so, a claim can be filed with the post office: https://www.usps.com/ship/file-insurance-claims.htm

Thanks for the input, I'll take it down to the local USPS and see if there is something that can be done. I did send this pic to LP, so we'll see what they say. I didn't weigh the remaining hops, but since a bunch flew out when I opened it, I'd say it wasn't the full measure left. I'm not going to use this anyway, I'm sure it was on the floor somewhere and scooped up with who knows what..

Did the original box look sturdy?

Was it marked as from a Hops Dealer?

I ordered some a couple years ago. They came in fine.

The only thing left of the original box was the cardboard directly under the label, it was standard box cardboard. It had all the paperwork from LP and the over copied barely legible note from the post office saying they damaged the original box.

Thanks for the input, I'll take it down to the local USPS and see if there is something that can be done. I did send this pic to LP, so we'll see what they say. I didn't weigh the remaining hops, but since a bunch flew out when I opened it, I'd say it wasn't the full measure left. I'm not going to use this anyway, I'm sure it was on the floor somewhere and scooped up with who knows what..

Unless the package was insured with the USPS by LP you probably won't be given the time of day from the USPS with respect to a damaged package. You can file a claim but you have a better chance of winning the Powerball than collecting damages - especially now that they are basically bankrupt. This is based on numerous previous experience(s) some in the hundreds of $$$. This is also why I use UPS or Fed Ex whenever possible.

Better to contact the vendor (LP) and explain the situation. They should send you a replacement (they may require you to send the other hops back but I doubt it). They should do the right/smart thing. If they leave you hanging, let us know because this is not a vendor that I want to do any more business with if that is the end result.

I worked at UPS (not USPS) for 3 years, and it looks to me that the box got crushed and your bag of hops got stuck in the conveyer belt (common this time of year due to the high volume of boxes being shipped). even if a package was damaged like yours was, we would send everything along, just in case other items were time sensitive. File a claim, and you should have no problem getting your money back or your hops replaced.

Just FYI, they don't need a warrant (if they opened this on purpose) to check packages when in transit.

My precinct had a DHL processing facility in it, and we got called there at least once a month to take possession of packages with marijuana in them. It's fairly common.

Just FYI, they don't need a warrant (if they opened this on purpose) to check packages when in transit.

My precinct had a DHL processing facility in it, and we got called there at least once a month to take possession of packages with marijuana in them. It's fairly common.

Thanks for your input. You are correct with private carriers like DHL, FedEx or UPS. However, for the USPS here is a quote from the .gov site.

First-Class® letters and parcels and Express Mail® are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class Mail letter or parcel or an Express Mail piece violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant.

People make sure they don't have any fingerprints on it, miss spell the recipients name and send contraband USPS if they are smart. At least that's what I've been told. :cool:

Thanks for your input. You are correct with private carriers like DHL, FedEx or UPS. However, for the USPS here is a quote from the .gov site.

First-Class® letters and parcels and Express Mail® are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class Mail letter or parcel or an Express Mail piece violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant.

People make sure they don't have any fingerprints on it, miss spell the recipients name and send contraband USPS if they are smart. At least that's what I've been told. :cool:

Leafy, green, funny smelling would probably be enough for these d-bags to get a probable cause warrant anyways. Remember, this is a government entity we're talking about.

I didn't know that. USPS doesn't call the the police since they have their own investigators/officers.

The second largest amount of weed I've ever seen was at that DHL facility.

"First-Class® letters and parcels and Express Mail® are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class Mail letter or parcel or an Express Mail piece violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece"

Or simply go "whoops" and bust that puppy open... I mean after all it was just an accident that the box was destroyed.... ;)

For those of you that suggested I contact Label Peelers, I sent them the same picture that's on this thread. When I woke up on the first business day after I sent the email, this was the response, I'll order from them again for sure.

Label Peelers: Sorry about the USPS destroying your order . What was actually ruined? Give me a list and if we can, we will send you replacements. If the hops are no longer available we will give you a refund. Again, sorry your package was beat up.

Back