No empty German Beer bottles for you!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbayte

Third Most Interesting Man in his Cul-de-Sac
Reaction score
New German restaurant opened up near the house. I called them up one Saturday morning and asked if I could take their empties from the night before. I was told "no." I asked what they did with them and was told they "go in the trash." One man's trash, is another man's treasure, right? "Can I have your trash?" I asked. "No." Click. After getting the same response from two nearby taverns, I knew I was trapped in a Seinfeld episode. No problem. I'll just empty them myself. That's probably half the fun anyway.

So my buddy and SWMBO headed there for dinner mid-week. SWMBO and I could not turn down Konig Ludwig Weiss on tap, but my buddy got 500 ml of Eridinger Pikantus in an epic re-cappable European beauty. Because 12 oz of https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...avarian-hefeweizen.35679/page-38#post-8494372 does not fill up a tall half liter Hef glass, I saw an OxyClean soak in this bottle's future and a date with the dishwasher the night before bottling day. Or so I thought.

Once our mouths were full of Shnitzel, the waiter came by for his obligatory check to see if we needed anything. He offered to pour what little Pikantus was left into my buddy's glass, but he was waved off. Once Hans left, my buddy emptied the bottle and handed it to me. I put it in my jacket and focused on my potatoes.

Hans returned and asked where the bottle had gone. We suggested the bus boy had recently taken it, but Hans knew that was a lie. Telling us that the bus boy already denied clearing the table of this precious bottle, Hans became more demanding and mumbled something about his liquor license: "When I return, I want to see that bottle back on the table." He walked away with authority as I regressed from just shy of 50, to 5 years old in 10 seconds. My party looked at each other in shock. Was this really happening? Were we in kindergarten? Was the bottle that valuable? I thought they just threw them in the trash.

My LHBS sells a different 500 ml bottle, but these hef bottles have a shape I just love. I tried to find them online, but needed to order a pallet or something. Yet, somewhere between "resistance is futile" and "we have ways of making you talk," I realized the bottle was not worth the hassle. Relenting, I put the bottle back on the table. This brought the check, which I quickly paid so I could go home.

My sweat dissipated, and blood pressure finally got back down to normal, but the curiosity remained. Once home, I searched the rules and found this:

R19-1-307. Bottle Reuse or Refilling Prohibited
  1. Except as authorized under A.R.S. § 4-244(32), a retail licensee shall ensure that a bottle or other container authorized by law for packaging spirituous liquor:
    1. Is not reused to package spirituous liquor after the spirituous liquor originally packaged in the bottle or other container is removed from the bottle or other container, and
    2. Bears a label that accurately indicates the kind and brand of spirituous liquor in the bottle or other container.
What? That can't mean what it says, right? Hell; I'm a lawyer and I can't believe it. I've taken many bottles from other places before. SWMBO's Angry Orchard bottles from Pita Jungle now have blonde ale in them, and I've liberated numerous bottles from BBQ joints, taverns, and even golf course trash cans. But perhaps those days are behind me.

Anyone else have this problem?

Water profile: R/O plus CaCl; mash w/5 gals at 154*; sparge with 3 gals of cold R/O.
.75 minutes Hallartau @ 60 mins.
Chill to 60*, ferment @ 64 for 2 weeks.
Prime with 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in 16.9 oz of Aquafina.

It doesn't have anything to do with refilling (that law applies to protect customers from establishments refilling bottles).
You got hassled because they're not supposed to let you walk off the premises with an open alcohol container.

However they could rinse it and put it in brown paper bag and staple it for you to take. ... But your waiter sounds like a dick.

You're in Arizona?
Here's the relevant statute:

Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. §4-244 It is unlawful: 32. For a licensee or employee to knowingly permit spirituous liquor to be removed from the licensed premises, except in the original unbroken package. This paragraph does not apply to any of the following: (a) A person who removes a bottle of wine which has been partially consumed in conjunction with a purchased meal from licensed premises if a cork is inserted flush with the top of the bottle or the bottle is otherwise securely closed. (b) A person who is in licensed premises that have noncontiguous portions that are separated by a public or private walkway or driveway and who takes spirituous liquor from one portion of the licensed premises across the public or private walkway or driveway directly to the other portion of the licensed premises. (c) A bar, beer and wine bar, liquor store, beer and wine store or domestic microbrewery licensee who dispenses beer only in a clean glass container with a maximum capacity that does not exceed one gallon and not for consumption on the premises as long as: (i) The licensee or the licensee's employee fills the container at the tap at the time of sale. (ii) The container is sealed with a plastic adhesive and displays a government warning label. (iii) The dispensing of that beer is not done through a drive-through or walk-up service window. The department shall review the effects of this subdivision and submit a report by July 1, 2015 on the effects of this section to the governor, the speaker of the House of Representatives and the president of the Senate. The department shall provide a copy of this report to the secretary of state.

You're in Arizona?
Here's the relevant statute:

Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. §4-244 It is unlawful: 32. For a licensee or employee to knowingly permit spirituous liquor to be removed from the licensed premises, except in the original unbroken package. This paragraph does not apply to any of the following: (a) A person who removes a bottle of wine which has been partially consumed in conjunction with a purchased meal from licensed premises if a cork is inserted flush with the top of the bottle or the bottle is otherwise securely closed. (b) A person who is in licensed premises that have noncontiguous portions that are separated by a public or private walkway or driveway and who takes spirituous liquor from one portion of the licensed premises across the public or private walkway or driveway directly to the other portion of the licensed premises. (c) A bar, beer and wine bar, liquor store, beer and wine store or domestic microbrewery licensee who dispenses beer only in a clean glass container with a maximum capacity that does not exceed one gallon and not for consumption on the premises as long as: (i) The licensee or the licensee's employee fills the container at the tap at the time of sale. (ii) The container is sealed with a plastic adhesive and displays a government warning label. (iii) The dispensing of that beer is not done through a drive-through or walk-up service window. The department shall review the effects of this subdivision and submit a report by July 1, 2015 on the effects of this section to the governor, the speaker of the House of Representatives and the president of the Senate. The department shall provide a copy of this report to the secretary of state.
Hmmm. It never occurred to me that Hans may not have realized the bottle was empty. Maybe next time I'll ask him to rinse, bag, and staple.

I would have asked for the manager, explained why I wanted the empty bottles, and offered him some free homebrew in exchange. Or maybe say you'll come in for dinner often and pick up any bottles he can save for you.
If he says its against the rules, OK here's your bottle back. Life's way too short to worry about an empty bottle.
You can always go buy a case of German beer if you really want those bottles.
Its probably about the same price to buy a case of that beer as it is to buy a case of the same bottles. I've seen it in the store for $2.99 to 3.49, but if you buy a case you might be able to get a discount. They might even let you mix and match the different beers that use the same bottle.
Sam Adams and SN bottles work great, and the labels come off real easy.

I had a similar situation at a beer bar in Boston, but with a less-prickish waiter. I asked if I could keep the empty bottle, he patiently explained that they weren't allowed to do that sort of thing and it would need to be disposed of on-site. Oh, bummer, thats dumb. Yep, sure is, he says. Proceed with beers and meal, he clears the table and drops off the check, and mentions I should check out the shrubbery on the right side of the door on the way out, they're quite lovely. Bottle in question was waiting for me on the way out, and he got a nice tip.

Back