Using Old malt extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, quick question.

Would this still be salvageable? If so, great, if not okay then. I have some books at home for homebrewing, but nothing about using malt extract after an expiration date. I can easily look the information up online. However, I would prefer using your insight folks.

Thanks, for any information.

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_174836136.jpg
    IMG_20230806_174836136.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230806_174822334.jpg
    IMG_20230806_174822334.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Did Great Northern Unclaimed Freight have an offer you couldn't refuse? ;)

If the can isn't dented or otherwise 'compromised', it's probably 'salvageable' .

If you have expectations on the color of the beer, you can preview the color by looking at the wort color just before the start of the boil. Collect a small sample, put it in a beer glass, and observe the color (after observing the color, you can put the sample back in the boil). If it's red and you were expecting straw, study up on known off flavors from stale LME.

Over in another topic (link), you posted a picture with a Bad Habit Brewing Company growler:

1691363826886.png

so you know what delightful craft beer tastes like.

It's probably fine. Fresher is better, but I've made lots of good beers with expired LME.

Some tips - Add to water/wort hot enough to sanitize. Doesn't have to be boiling, but I always try to get it above 180 for 5-10 minutes.

It helps to mix with some fresh grain wort and/or DME, so that if the LME does have an odd flavor, it won't be the only flavor.

And older LME is better for darker beers. The color will likely be darker anyway, and the flavor often doesn't match up with lighter beer flavors (in my experience).

For both of you, I appreciate the guidance. For another brew I will stick with that advice.

Using another DME with this sounds neat, I believe I have had a conversation with a brewer from Nordic Brewpub in Minnesota about how they do that same thing periodically.

Also, yes I enjoy Bad Habit as well. I frequent various institutions around the state whenever $-'feasible'. If not, I make me own :)

I would not use it. Maybe it’s just me but old, darkened, oxidized LME isn’t my thing.

I just got an RIS kit on sale from AIH this week (the kit was an add on to get free shipping). Both LME containers in the kit are more than 6 months past their best buy date. I'm trying to decide if I want to bother complaining.

IMG_1149.jpeg

It's dark LME that will wind up in a stout anyway.

@GoodTruble, dark LME that’s going in a stout will hide its age a lot better. I’d be more inclined to use that over light or wheat LME. I’d probably reach out to the company and let them know. It may have been an oversight. If they knowingly sale expired products, that on the other hand is bad business.

Latest posts

Back